“Always a treat!”
Review of Vin Rouge

Vin Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Vin Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 804 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$21 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 9th St.
Description: Vin rouge is a French Bistro. We focus on classic preparations served in a true bistro atmosphere. We have beautiful patio and garden areas for those who prefer to dine outside. Please indicate your preference for dining inside or out. We look forward to serving you at Vin Rouge.
Reviewed March 21, 2012

I usually end up at here two or three times a month and eve time it's a treat! The service is always friendly and fast and the food is always impeccable. My favorite dishes include; the Dijon mussels (a must!), the beet or duck salad, French onion soup, sweet breads and the steak tartare. You really can't miss with anything there - everything on their menu is great! They also have a wonderful wine list, on a warm day there is nothing better than a cool glass of their Sancerre. A must for anyone in Durham.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Was up for the day with my two children (10 and 12 years old) and my sister and her husband. The 5 of us having worked up an appetite walking the Duke Gardens decided on this place for "Brunch". Ideal, they had a limited Sunday brunch menu with enough variety to satisfy almost everyone's taste.

No children's menu, but not a problem as there were a couple of selections that were kid friendly (the Eggs Benedict was good for my 12 year old, the French toast w/ bacon was just right for my 10-year old). I opted for the Eggs Mediterranean which was essentially eggs Benedict with a Mediterranean flare of ham, spinach and capers. All in all brunch for the three of us came to just over $35 (excluding tip).

Would like to try again during regular business hours during the week and also the restaurant (a seafood place) just adjacent.

Place was hopping, but we didn't wait long. Service was OK, but waitstaff could have been a bit sharper and more attentive, as bread had to be asked for and coffee refills came a bit slow. Outdoor seating a big plus weather permitting.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife have been to Vin Rouge several times (just us, with kids, with friends, etc) over the past few years and it has always been great. Moules, escargot, soup oignon gratinee, pomme dauphinoise, fromage*, etc. all consistently good and great. The service is very professional, helpful, prompt, and attentive. The atmosphere is about as authentic french as you get in the Triangle; tastefully decorated, dense but not too crowded, lively, aromatic (super cheese stink as you first walk in). The wine selection is very good (all french, I think), but we usually bring a bottle of our own since this place is enough to justify raiding the cellar for a special one. I don't think we've ever been charged a corkage fee either (so we add 5-10 to the tip). I can only say good things about Vin Rouge. A great place for a special dinner. Prices are appropriate. Best onion soup ever the last time we were there. Same for the mussel sauce/broth (classic).

*mussels, snails, fr onion soup, cheesey potatoes, stinky cheeses as best i could spell in french.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is the best French restaurant in Durham. It's like being there. Make a reservation or prepare for a long wait.

Reviewed February 24, 2012

Or perhaps better said... the only real place to dine in Durham. No burgers or mega-sides of fries. No plastic plates or forks. A proper dining experience, with a cute bar for pre-dinner drinks, a serious wine list and a lovely menu. Not too pricey either. When we need to escape small town America, we come here.