“50th Birthday Dinner 11 people”

Kurama Japanese Seafood
Ranked #271 of 855 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood
Reviewed September 16, 2018

We could not be seated until everyone showed up,Told that was the house rule, although the place was not that crowded. Party of three was stuck in rush hour traffic. 8 of us had to wait about 35 minutes to be seated.. Not a very well Managed place.
Eventually everyone showed up. We were seated and then had to wait for our waitress to take our drink orders. If they seated the 8 of us sooner they would have served more drinks while we were waiting for two people and a baby.. This was a Birthday Celebration and everyone was hungry. Nothing was offered while we waited in the lobby seating area. Someone in management should have offered something while we waited.

Drinks came and then we waited for waitress to take our food orders .Meanwhile its has now been 50 minutes since we came in to the restaurant. The Happy 50th Birthday balloons that were dropped of earlier were not even at the table where they were suppose to be? Now about the food. First the Chef was not Japanese, He was Mexican and the food tasted more like from Mexico that it did from Japan. The food was cooked with lots of oil and it was greasey. There was more Rice than food. His skills with tossing the food up in the air to people around the table was 1 for 4. Only one person caught the flying shrimp. The rest landed on our clothing and stained the garments. I love Japanese restaurants but this place you can skip as far as I am concerned. The food was eatable and not very expensive but left a lot to be desired.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

Friends and family have been coming here for years. We absolutely love this place and make sure you go before 8 and get thw dinner for 2. We've come with parties of 2 to 18. They have always been able to accommodate us. It doesnt look like much from the outside, but the food and service makes up for it ten fold. Tonight our server was on point for our party of 12 ...our "professional entertainer"/cook HONG was absolutely hysterical! He made my best friends birthday complete. We have enough food leftover for lunch for everyone tomorrow. Can't wait to come back and have awesome food and great times.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

We had an absolutely wonderful meal with great service with more food than we could eat and that was with getting the “special for 2” that we assumed meant smaller portions of the steak chicken and shrimp.....Boy were we wrong. I will say that the A/C needed some serious adjustments because everyone was extremely hot but that is our only complaint. Nelson was not a “showy” cook but my steak was perfect and that’s what matters to me. Hands down I would highly recommend a night out at Kurama.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed April 4, 2017

Big on quantity and low on quality. The food and the preparation presentation was subpar compared to many other Japanese steakhouses but there was more than enough food to feed a small village. Fried rice was plentiful but a sloppy mixture of soy sauce and butter with no vegetables or egg. Sushi was comparable to that purchased at Target deli but again, it was cheap. Scallops were overcooked. Chef was sloppy and not very entertaining. We will not be returning.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed March 22, 2017 via mobile

I was planning on Mexican until I saw the Kurama sign. I immediately thought Sushi.
My experience was wonderful! The fish in the display case looked fresh and appealing. I ordered Miso Soup, Fried Dumplings and several pieces of Sushi. One word describes the food; INCREDIBLE! During my meal, I learned my chef has 28 years experience as a Sushi Chef. It showed.

Date of visit: March 2017