“"NOW THAT'S A BUFFET"”
Review of China Buffet

China Buffet
Ranked #268 of 857 Restaurants in Durham
Reviewed March 2, 2018 via mobile

We heard about this place and decided to try it out. We made a good choice. There was plenty to choose from, and every different item had great flavor. People are friendly and the price was right. Good experience.
We will be going back soon.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank X7269VXgeorgec

Reviewed February 28, 2018 via mobile

Good selection, food was hot, service was on point. I came At 1:20 so it wasn’t exactly a lunch hour but the place was half packed. I’ll be back!

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 3, 2018

China Buffet here in Durham is as authentic as it gets. While there are other Chinese buffet restaurants here in Durham are bigger and offer more variety, this restaurant offers more of the traditional Cantonese-style foods. They also rotate some of the customary types of foods that you would see in major cities like New York and San Francisco to include dim-sum like food, pastries, and appetizers type often not seen at other Chinese buffets.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed February 3, 2018

It's really helpful to read the reviews here before going to China Buffet. That way you know a little about the pluses and minuses. After reading reviews myself, I just HAD to try a restaurant that served both sushi and duck soup. Those two things would make me go if they didn't serve another thing! There was so much to try that you could literally find something for anyone there. From poultry to shellfish to steamed vegetables to fresh fruit to iceburg lettuce, it was all there. The food was fresh, the trays were hot, and they were being refilled frequently. I can honestly say that there was a broader variety of food there than I have ever seen in a Chinese restaurant. But, some things might not be what you expect.

Things I liked:
Sushi was decent
Whether you wanted to eat vegetarian/healthy fare or something fried that would make your gallbladder cry it was on the buffet somewhere.
Soup is custom made-you pick your meat noodles etc. Pictures at the station made it easy to figure out exactly what you were getting.
Everything I tried was good.

Things I found less pleasing:
The duck soup was broth, with large pieces of duck-bones and all in it. The broth had fresh cilantro and tasted like watery duck water. I had to season it. I put the duck pieces on the plate and drank the broth/noodles. That worked-it was good.
I don't eat shellfish, and it was impossible to tell if certain pieces of sushi contained shellfish. I wasn't able to communicate with the person at the sushi station,and ingredients weren't listed. Fair warning-the wasabi was so hot that a tiny dab literally brought tears to my eyes.
"vegetarian eggrolls" had small pieces of pork in them. If you have allergies, not
awesome.
There was , as another reviewer stated, absolutely no chicken in the chicken and mushrooms.

Not a complaint, just an observation:

There is no chef at the table, the servers take your order and after that, they quickly scoop up your dirty plates and don't interact with you at all. They all seem focused on going about their business, making sure things are clean, full, and customers get through the register with no waiting. If you're looking for atmosphere, personality, flawless English etc., that's not what they do best here.

Overall, I will definitely go back, because I know what to expect and I'm okay with that. The food was good, but if I was going to go with friends to celebrate a special occasion, this is not where I would meet up with them.

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank jean c
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Food was good and the variety was extensive....Traditional Chinese food, fish, salad, dessert....Atmosphere was nice....I went during the dinner hour and it was very busy, but this did not interfere with getting my food or the service. There were a lot of families with small children, as children under a certain age are free. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience.

Date of visit: November 2017

Been to China Buffet? Share your experiences!