“Loses points for lack of service”

Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 15 October 2017

This hotel is right next door to a few other quality places where I have housed friends and family visiting Durham. It is well located, has many nicely equipped suites and its prices are a bit lower than some of the other hotels nearby. They serve a basic hot breakfast and supper Monday -Wednesday. Because Durham is a great medical city, some people stay here for out-patient therapy. There is much to commend this place, but in the end, I found their service so dreadful, that I hope never to come here again. Here are my chief complaints:

1) While offering to help, they offered no real assistance when specifically asked. I asked them for restaurants that deliver to the hotel, they looked me straight in the eye and said: "We do not know."

2) The food service area is too small for the number of people that use it. As a consequence, people consistently found themselves bumping into each other.

3) I was there to care for my husband, who was bedridden, for the initial week. They provided no trays or containers or wrapping to bring food to him. When I improvised my own, they complained and told me to come at the end of the dining period and take what was left.

4) Housekeeping accidently collected a plastic canvas bag of personal items on the floor of the bathroom thinking it was trash. I discovered the error about an hour later and called the front desk. They never located the bag or apologized for the error.

5) They do not have sufficient handicapped parking spaces.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Suri F,

Thank you so much for submitting constructive feedback following your recent extended stay. After you and I talked personally, and you expressed your desire to share our hotel's unique offerings with your congregation, I'm disappointed, to say the least, that my team and I must've somehow dropped the ball after the fact. Although you and I made special arrangements to have breakfasts and dinners plated and trayed at set times to assist in your caregiving efforts for your husband, something must have led to the misgivings you've shared here. It is definitely our team's desire to learn from our mistakes, so if you can please contact me directly, we would benefit from collecting details for tailored training opportunities. In any case, thank you again for choosing to stay at our hotel, and we wish your husband a full and speedy recovery.

(919) 401-9800 x7807

Reviewed 13 October 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Although there was a few minor issue in the room with housekeeping once I brought it up to Emri Moore, she took care of it immediately. She is welcoming and a great host and assistant manager. The free food and drinks are a plus. I’ll stay there if I go back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear Sam G,

Thank you for your tremendous shout-out to our Assistant General Manager, Emri Moore. No one on our team would be as successful without her positive influence and patient guidance, and she definitely cares for each and every guest like they're part of the family. We are truly blessed to benefit from her compassionate leadership, and equally blessed to receive heartwarming reviews from cherished guests such as yourself!

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

The staff were so friendly. The suite was immaculate with complementary popcorn coffee and other useful items such as paper towels with full kitchen. We used the pool which was excellent. On Mon - Wed nights they have complementary buffet dinners which are excellent (it was BBQ chicken and Salad on our night) complimentary wine as well - extremely generous. We would definitely stay here again:)

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 September 2017

We cannot say enough good things about Staybridge, their staff, the room was great, food was good. We came as evacuees with our cats. We did not know from day to day when we could go home, they were terrific about that, Will stay there again and recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear rayeap,

Thank you so much for sharing such kind words following your recent stay. Being within 5 miles of three area hospitals, our team is cognizant that some guests are here out of medical necessity, not choice. Obviously, hurricane evacuation is not a desired reason for travel, either! So we're delighted to learn our hotel and staff were bright spots in an otherwise challenging situation, and that you felt at home in our care. Our hearts especially go out to evacuees forced to leave their pets behind, so thank you for letting fellow travelers know we're a safe haven for people and pets alike. Our hope is that your family made it back home easily, with your property and belongs found unscathed. We will keep you, and all of our guests who sought shelter during Irma, in our thoughts and prayers.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

Short stay while my house was being worked on. Room was a decent size and the half kitchen was sufficient to cook simple items. Even had a some recipes. Exercise room was it bit sparse. Good sized outdoor pool (though we did not use). OK room facilities. had golf channel on TV!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2017

Dear Ray S,

Thank you so much for sharing your unique perspective following your recent stay. You've officially earned "Super Guest" status for being the first ever to make note of the recipes found in our in-suite Guest Directory! So people do still read it! Glad to hear you also appreciated the ample number and variety of sports included in our TV channel line-up...seems to be incredibly important to many guests! Thank you again for allowing us the privilege to be your home away from home during repairs at your residence, and for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

This is a good Staybridge in Chapel Hill with a good gym and a nice but small outdoor pool. The facilities are very clean with large suites and lots of shops and restaurants within a short walking distance. Breakfast is included, but one can't say much for the quality of the food, which is typical 'free' breakfast fare. I think it's rather quiet for the most part, but I has the misfortune of getting a room right across the hall from the housekeeping room/closet, the door of which was allowed to slam closed all day long as the housekeepers went in and out.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near housekeeping doors
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear Darin S,

When an IHG Rewards Club Platinum Elite member takes the time to review our hotel, we definitely listen. So thank you for providing valuable feedback from your recent stay. Cleanliness, plenty of space and a great location are attributes we're proud of, but more importantly, we will use your perspective on breakfast and housekeeping in our ongoing efforts to exceed our guests' expectations. We do hope you'll stay with us again the next time your travels bring you to Chapel Hill!

Reviewed 6 July 2017 via mobile

Everything you read is real as it gets!! Awesome staff John at the front desk and the ladies that's responsible for cleaning 138 to the guy who came to check the machine for me in the laundry room you were amazing I can't remember some names but I know you went beyond on July 2-5 to keep room 138 spectacular thanks I'm very grateful for that

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
StaybridgeDurham, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Durham-Chapel Hill-RTP, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Dear Terance01,

It's not often that we hear our Two Bedroom Suites described as "spectacular," so know that we are blushing as we respond to your comments! Your kind words are so appreciated, as we are so proud and fortunate to work alongside such dedicated teammates as John at our Front Desk, our incredible Housekeepers, and our talented Maintenance crew. Thank you so much for choosing our Staybridge Suites as your home away from home during your 4th of July holiday, and for taking time to post such a thoughtful review. We hope your travels bring you back to the area and we have the privilege of welcoming your family yet again!