“Love the sushi but could have had better service ”

Kanki Japanese House of Steaks
Ranked #127 of 827 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2018 via mobile

I use to visit Kanki often when I lived in the area. I had just come back from a trip and landed at the RDU airport so decided to get takeout on the way home since we would be passing Kanki. I started placing my order then the lady just walked away. I was starting to get upset and another lady took my order. I express to her what had happened and thought that was very rude of the other lady. I still placed my order and she said it would be 35 to 40 minutes. I said fine and my food was ready ahead of time but they did not notify me. The other gentleman at the front was very nice and showed me my order. The sushi looked amazing. So I was happy. When I got home everything was still fresh and delicious.

For the owner or manager, train the hostess lady to be a little more professional. I was highly offended by the way I was treated. Feb. 10, at 8:30ish. I know the restaurant was busy but could have been handled better.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

We have been eating at Kanki about 6 times per year for 14 years. Last night, we arrived at 5:30 on a Wednesday, also my husband's birthday. There were only two tables seated in the entire place, and nobody was waiting in the lobby. Our party of 6 was told that there was a 45min to 1hr wait. We have been here enough to know that you arrive before 6 unless you want a lengthy wait..which is why we came early. We watched as parties checking in after us were seated before us, and an African American couple who came in about 10 minutes after we did were told it would be an hour and 15 to hour and a half wait (we are white). The hostess could not offer a reasonable explanation.

As it turns out, the restaurant that NEVER took reservations in the past is now taking them except on Saturdays. In the past, they would not even give you a pager until your entire party was there...to the point that they were militant about their first come, first served policy.

We asked if Quoc, our usual chef, was working. We were told he was not. After waiting until 6:15, we finally got a table. Our server, Jaylin, asked if there were any special celebrations and we told him about my husband's birthday. Our chef asked the same question and we joked about knowing all the words to the song they sing. Well, they never came out and sang. In fact, the manager approached our chef while he was cooking to which the Chef replied "I'll do my best". The manager walked away without even making eye contact with anyone at the table. I think he was being told to hurry up because at that point, the waiting area was full.

We would later learn that Quoc (the chef used in much of their advertising) and at least two managers had left Kanki in recent months. I'm not sure what is going on at this location, but it was not the experience we have come to expect. Long waits, short staffed, average food, and snarky hostesses are not a good way to build repeat business. We'll drive the hour to Garner to see Quoc at Kaze in the future. It will be better than waiting in Durham.

Reviewed November 23, 2017

A very upbeat modern East meets West Restaurant with beaucoup tables and a huge very airy Sushi Bar.

Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

The thing is, we eat good food, cook at home, grow organic vegetables and pay attention to what we eat.
These fast food chains put so much salt or msg in their food , that the following morning we woke up with deer licking our heads! LOL.

Go find a family owned Asian food place to eat. You stand a better chance all around.

Free yourself and find real culture before it disappears. Soon flavored salt is all that will be left to eat.

Try Bahns Chinese on Ninth Street in Durham. It's a funky hole in the wall with simple, affordable, delicious food. They serve Vietnamese food on Wednesday and Saturday.

Nice staff though at Kankis' though

Reviewed October 24, 2017

5 of us went on a Friday night and the restaurant was busy. There was a 30 minute wait for the Hibachi show but in the other dining area we could be seated right away so we chose to do that. The food is the same it just is not prepared in front of you and we were fine with that because when you have seen one Hibachi show you have seen them all, I've had my fair share of onion volcanoes turned choo-choo train and shrimp tails landing on top of hats. Service was attentive and friendly. The Miso soup had a good flavor and the sesame dressing on the salad was delicious. We all ordered different entrees, I had the shrimp Yakisoba noodles and they were very tasty. There could have been a few more shrimp in it, but the ones that were there were a nice size. My mom had the beef version of that and my daughter the chicken and they said they were very good. My sister had the Bamboo Dragon Sushi roll and my dad had the Sashimi Sampler and they enjoyed their meals as well. The portions were big. We had a coupon for a free dessert so we got the Banana Tempura with strawberry ice cream and chocolate sauce. We each had a few bites of that it was different, I can't say that I would order it again. They have an awesome fish tank and some cool Japanese decor. The only thing that was wrong with the meal were the other diners. There were two couples who were sitting across the dining room from each other who were engaged in a conversation the whole time, so they were basically yelling back and forth. I really think that the staff should have asked them if they wanted to be seated closer together because it was pretty annoying, other than that it was a great night I would go back there again.