New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fontana Dam
Washington, dc
“Fabulous location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the resort from April 1 - 7. I was with a group so our food was served family style. It was delicious and more than anyone could eat. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I was there with a group to help maintain trails in the National Forest. On my day off I went 2 hours away to the Biltmore hotel. I loved everything about the resort and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in hiking and being in the mountains.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank guest a

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

This really is a gem. Beautiful beautiful terrain. Streets lined with dogwoods. World-class frisbee-golf course. Dozens of miles of adjacent hiking trails.
Joey and all the dining staff work hard to provide a first-class dining experience. Rooms are not deluxe, but beds are comfy. I have stayed there the first week of April for the last 4 years and strongly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank stenelsh
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We took a winter family trip and we stayed through New Year'eve.The place is really nice, beautifully decorated,kids activity with movie time and outside smores,no cellphone reception,no restaurant around, just the one at the resort , but we were very pleased with the food for dinner, breakfast and the New Year's eve buffet!
The mountains and the river are beautiful and if you are looking for a quiet place to be...this is it!
I don't know about summer time, but in the winter we really enjoy our stay and we will do it again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank thebonavitas
Rockwall, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

We stumbled into the Fontana Village Resort by accident when we arrived too late to check into a nearby motorcycle resort. We were rain soaked and tired after a 400 mile motorcycle ride in from Georgia. The Great Room/Lobby is spacious with a warm fireplace and has a balcony facing a breathtaking view of the Smoky Mountains.

The property was immaculate and the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to us with no reservations. We were offered a military and law enforcement discount and secured great rooms in the main lodge for $85/night. The resort has several cabin style rooms scattered throughout the property with parking directly in front of your room.

Our bed had a high quality mattress and the room had many cable TV channels, including HBO. There is free wi-fi in the upper and lower lobby areas, but no Internet connectivity in the guest rooms. Internet speeds were fast in the locations where I used their Wi-Fi

The restaurant had a diverse menu with reasonable prices. The service was not what I would call speedy, but the view of the mountains was a spectacular distraction.

The majority of guests we encountered appeared to be climbers. This is a biker friendly resort.

Room Tip: Room 122 is near the elevator and stairwell, but is not noisy. It has a sliding glass door that ope...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Greenville, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I stayed at this resort from March 16th - 18th. As a single female it is very important that I stay at a place that feel is safe. The lodge has indoor access to the rooms and the balcony doors are very secure. My room had two queen beds, a flat screen and telephone. The bathroom sink was outside of room where the tub and toilet were located. This area is small and in my opinion will only accomodate one person at a time. I found that the rooms in the resort were insulated properly because I had guests staying on both sides of me and I never heard a peep from either one of them.

The resort has a mini-store with basics such as pain relievers, mugs, etc. There is also a restaurant and bar that you can access from inside of the lodge. I paid roughly $12 for each meal not including the tip. If you go to the bar ask Joey to make you a top shelf margarita. You won't be disappointed. The property also includes cabins, a large swimming pool and gorgeous views of the Smokey Mountains.

The entire staff from the front desk to the restaurant & bar were extremely nice and accomodating.

Also, you can access the Dragon within a few minutes and that is a great run in the right car or on a motorcyle.

Room Tip: You can hear the creek running from the rooms at the front of the lodge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank blackwidowinsc
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

Very impressed! Reservations went seamlessly. The morning of our check-in, there was a rock slide in the area, which could have affected our route of travel, the resort called and emailed us to let us know and offer alternative directions. We stayed in a king lodge room in a seperate building from the lodge, it was clean and updated. The only restaurant that was open was in the lodge and we got take out our first night there and breakfast there the next morning. The food was good and the service was even better. Since it was off season, there were not a lot of things going on, but enough to keep us busy. JP, the activities director hosted an awesome campfire on Saturday night. Our only minor complaint was that our TV had bad reception, but we weren't there to watch TV anyway, so it didn't really matter. Will definitely be going back to visit in the summer!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kristi D
Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I must say that I was a little concerned about our decision when my 70+ y.o. in-laws told me, "Oh Fontana Village, we used to go there before we had children." We read the review about the rustic cabins and could deal with primitive accommodations as long as the pool and lodge was as nice as it looked in the pictures. And true the reviews, this is what we experienced. What we did not expect was the authentic mountain resort activities, steeped in tradition. We were lured into rocking chairs on the veranda, weaving baskets, and square dancing. Not exactly what I had planned, but my wife... OK I loved it too. The kids had their activities too. While my wife was doing crafts and I was exploring the trails, the kids played in the supervised game room. At night when we sat around the group campfire with other guests, the kids ran around on the activity field playing frisby football. The location of the resort is also good as a basecamp for day trips to Nantahala River and the more pristine southwestern region of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. OK now for the negatives: Our cabin had dim lights, warped floors, and and tiny kitchen. We had to call the front desk about ants and maintenance promptly brought us two spray cans of insecticide. Ours was a duplex and we could hear the activities next door. It was not bad when we were there but we could tell this place was popular with motorcycle and sport car enthusiasts. Given all the negatives, we told ourselves that we would return. Next time I would like to bring my own sports car (instead of the family van) and take a sunset boat cruise on Lake Fontana.

Room Tip: When making reservation ask for accommodations in new or newly remodeled construction.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
27.7 km away
BEST WESTERN Cades Cove Inn
35.0 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bryson City

Been to Fontana Village Resort? Share your experiences!