“My First Time Eating Mongolian Food!”
Review of Bali Hai

Bali Hai
Ranked #38 of 143 Restaurants in Garner
Reviewed March 6, 2018

A couple friends and I had dinner at Bali Hai on a Saturday evening. There were a lot of customers and there were few empty tables. However, we were seated in a matter of a few minutes.
This was my first experience eating Mongolian food, so I followed the lead of my two friends as they have eaten at this restaurant several times. The waitress asks how many bowls of food would you like, which are small wooden salad bowls. We were also asked how we would like our food seasoned as well as steamed or fried rice. I chose teriyaki. All three of us stated that we would like 2 bowls each. After the waitress took our drink order, we walked up to the salad bar-like set up. You pick up a plastic orange tray, just like one of the pictures on this website. There are 3 meat choices: pork, turkey, and beef. The 3 meats are all thinly sliced and perhaps flash frozen. There is an assortment of diced and shredded vegetables such as zucchini, cabbage, onions, carrots, etc. One of my friends told me that I could pile my bowls full of food as high and as I could. After you pile the food in your bowls, you take it to the chefs who cook in an open kitchen. The chefs cook the food on a huge round flat grill. It was interesting to watch them cook. The chefs also use long knives, which looked like swords to me, to stir fry the meats and vegetables as they are cooking.
So, my first experience eating Mongolian food was great! I would definitely go eat here again.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed January 27, 2018

This is by far my favorite restaurant....It has had many buildings most of which were located on Old Wake Forest Rd in Raleigh......It has rebuilt at least twice. Over the years the staff has changed....Location has changed......But the flavor has not!!! I highly recommend you giving it a try. I have taken over 20+ people there for their first time and all but 1 continues to this day.....The food is spicy and unique. You can go up on a HOT scale from 1-10....I stop at 7......Give it a try....Nothing else compares....

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed July 25, 2017

Just as some other folks have written, I was introduced to Bali Hai back in college at the former location in Raleigh; the location that burned down. We have visited the Durham location several times and find that it's pretty good. For the Garner location, it never disappoints. It's a good value for your money and you can choose the amount of meats (turkey, pork, beef) and vegetables for your bowls. You can choose rice as white, brown, or fried. You can customize the amount of "heat" they'll add while cooking it...from 0 (none) to 10 (which I've never been brave enough to try!). They do not allow To Go boxes for leftovers after dining in, which means we plan ahead when we order. We are frequently diners here and often bring friends & family from out of town. We always find the staff friendly and helpful. We love it!

Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

So I had not been here since it relocated from the northern end of Raleigh. The setup is much nicer, but overall approach is still the same. One difference, your food is now brought to your table.

The taste though didn't seem to be the same. It's wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as I remembered. My wife had issues later actually, even getting only the Teriyaki sliced version

All in all, not impressed and probably won't make this a regular stop

Reviewed July 16, 2017

The good: service is friendly, the food is pretty good
The bad: Small portions, tight-fisted carry-out policies.
For the price, you can get much better offerings, unlimited, at any number of Mongolian barbecue restaurants around the nation.

Date of visit: July 2017

Been to Bali Hai? Share your experiences!