“Good food, good music, iffy service”

CPW's Fine Food and Spirits
Ranked #8 of 298 Restaurants in Greenville
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Arlington & Stantonsburg
Description: CPW's has Italian roots paired with a culinary exploration of global and ethnic food styles.
Reviewed December 29, 2017

I was with a large party and we all enjoyed our food. The menu had something for everyone, even the kids despite there not being a kids' menu per se. We were also there on a jazz night, which was fun. My only complaint was with the service. We were mistakenly seated in a place that we had to vacate because it was actually reserved for someone else, but no one told our server, so our food went to the wrong place initially and we had to flag them down from across the restaurant. In our new seats, there was no silverware, and it took several requests even after our food had arrived to get the entire table set up. It was a really busy night, but even so this seemed really disorganized. Did I mention the food was good?

Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

We chose this restaurant for a belated Christmas gathering of three generations of family none of whom had been here before. The location made sense since one family lived nearby, one was visiting, and we were driving to Florida via 95S. We LOVED it!! We all tried different dishes from their very large menu and everything was delicious and beautifully presented. Our server, Drew, was wonderful, knowledgeable and helpful without intruding. He also was passionate about the restaurant and the owners; his enthusiasm was catching - we all left saying what a wonderful choice this was. Try it - you will not be disappointed!!

Reviewed November 16, 2017 via mobile

I have eaten there twice so far. I have been impressed both times. I will go back as I want to explore the menu more. Maybe try the pasta but so far I like the different fusion dishes.

I go later during the week so it has been not crowded. Nice staff.

The problem is finding it as it is in a strip mall with subdued signage. Worth looking for and parking is not a problem.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

They reworked the restaurant about a year ago and we visited for the first time since that last night.

The former menu was extensive and included a separate low carb menu. It now is much smaller and only includes sandwiches and either pasta or entrees with pasta side dishes. We try to minimize carbs so the current menu offers us very little we can eat. The food was not bad but the menu will take CPW off of our restaurant list.

The owner responded to my comments as written above on their site that the low carb options were still available by request and that some veggie sides could be substituted for a pasta side. Owner response re that option was "hopefully that is visible" on the menu. Neither my wife or I saw it.

The owner responded that "...most of the legacy low carb dishes are still available by request and that the multiple menus (previously) often confused and frustrated (their) guests in the past. We do however still prepare a lot of these low carb dishes. Our goal now is to train servers to relay these possibilities to you."

My resonse is that a secret option does the customer no good. The only way that options like low carb available can work is if there is a note to that effect on the menu. Relying on servers to remember to mention that is likely highly ineffective. In fact, the "sandwich" sides referenced on the menu are not listed anywhere. The server told us what they are. Sides that can be added for an extra cost are listed. Not the same as the ones the server gave us re sandwich sides though maybe some overlap.

Bottom line for us is that we now prefer the aTavola! menu which is where we have been going the last few years, primarily due to it being more convenient for us. I think their sandwiches are better when compared to the chicken sandwich I had last night. And the okra and better broccoli salad are additional pluses for them.

I thanked the owner for responding. It shows that he or she value customer feed back in an effort to improve. I stress that the food was not bad, just not what we wanted to eat.

Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

I have been going there since moving back to Greenville. They have the best service. Best food. It's outstanding and reasonably priced for the excellent quality and independent non chain restaurant touches that you can't get anywhere else. They have an excellent beer and wine selection. Some nights there is free wine tastings and other nights you may see a 3 piece jazz band playing . Not what you would expect from a small college town.
Trust me, you will not be disappointed!!