“Cozy and Convenient”
Review of Highlands Inn

Highlands Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Great little inn. If you've ever had an old flannel shirt that's been washed a hundred times and is a bit tattered but super soft and comfortable, this describes the Highlands Inn. Right across the street from the Old Edwards Inn (OEI) and within an easy walk to several awesome restaurants....Restaurante Paoletti, Wolfgang's, and Cyprus to mention a few...the convenience is incredible. The Inn offers a complementary breakfast. For just a few dollars, you can order off the menu. Our room was on the second floor with a balcony that overlooked the rock garden with a babbling water "pond"...perfect for enjoying a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. A special bedtime "special", guests are treated to fresh baked chocolate chip cookies and fresh brewed coffee. Speaking of beds, delightfully comfortable! The price is right, at under $150.00. Across the street at the OEI, you'll pay double to triple. Yet guests at the Highlands Inn are warmly welcomed to the OEI lounge, spa, and restaurant. There is no elevator at the Highlands Inn...so lugging luggage up the stairs is a bit strenuous. Parking is available on the street ONLY. We were lucky and found one almost at the Inn's front door. Yes, we'd not hesitate to stay here again. Hey, it's cozy, convenient, AND clean!

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side offer more privacy especially if you enjoy sitting on the balcony in your &qu...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank Comanchero26

Reviewed 20 August 2016

We have stayed many times and will be going back the first chance we will be able to go. One of my favorite places to go and when the dining room was open but in the day best food you could ever have and always so busy. Not sure if the restaurant is open now because it has been 2 years sise we have been there and the main reason was do to our health.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less ac unit noise!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank margemartin585
Reviewed 14 August 2016

My husband and I stayed at the Highlands Inn for 3 nights on a recent short vacation. The location is perfect, within walking distance of most restaurants and shopping. The Inn itself is obviously old, and could do with a renovation, but I found myself feeling quite comfortable here. The rooms could use new bed linens, but the mattress was very comfortable. There was a small sitting area that was cozy and comfortable as well. The bathroom was a little outdated, but certainly fully functional. We most enjoyed sitting on the balcony every evening and watching the people walk and drive up and down the street. Cookies were served warm every evening at 8 p.m. with decaf coffee. It would be nice if they also had tea. The staff was very welcoming, especially Rebecca. In all, I would certainly not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with direct access to the balcony are great, but less private.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank icestorm22
Reviewed 12 August 2016

I was going to Highlands on business and my clients made a reservation at the Highlands Inn, as no other properties had availability. My last 4 visits I stayed at 200 Main. I read the reviews on Trip Advisor, as well as the responses from management. I didn't have great expectations, but hoped for the best. I arrived around 7:30 pm. The entrance to the Inn is not ADA in the least. If one is handicapped, it would be difficult to enter. The lobby is dated and old, and not in a "historic" sense. I was greeted by a pleasant clerk who checked me in and told me she would take me to my room, #48. It was billed as a Deluxe King. We went past a cage with birds, through a terribly run down hall, down a flight of stairs and to my door. She had trouble working the key. After a few minutes we were in. The room was tired at best. It had furniture from flea markets, newer carpet, a low end bath with finishes not up to the standards of Loews or Hope Depot, and a "tv" that was a computer monitor placed above a sofa facing the bed. The screen was smaller than the remote. My room was prepaid, and even if I chose to pay my for another room at another property, the town was sold out. The bed was newer and not uncomfortable. At 3 am, the fire alarm sounded and all guests were evacuated to the lobby. I would guess that the Inn was maybe half full based on the guests sent to the lobby. We were given the all clear about 45 minutes later. I had to meet with clients at 7am. I was out of the room until 11 pm. When I pulled my covers down, my sheets had dead gnats all over my them. I called 200 Main to see if they had any cancellations for the evening, they did not but they could accommodate me the following night. I took the sheets off the bed, shook them out, remade the bed and tried to sleep. In the morning I packed up and checked out. I told the clerk my business in town was finished and that I was checking out a day early. I was informed prepaid rooms were not available for any refunds. I left, went down the non ADA steps and felt relieved I would never have to return.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
3  Thank Thom S
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Stayed in room 46 for three nights and really enjoyed the stay. The small balcony overlooking the pond/garden was very relaxing and enjoyable. Even saw the resident bullfrog who hops out of the pond late in the evening each night. Bear in mind that this is a historic inn built in 1880 and is not intended to be a shiny new five star experience, but is imho a value given it's location and charm. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Side1slip
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

This is a charming and relaxing inn in the lovely town of Highlands. We have stayed here on several trips and really enjoyed each visit. We love the long porch on the 2nd floor where we sit and relax. The breakfast is good and the staff is very helpful. We will come back and highly recommend this stay to everyone.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Albert W
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Our room was spacious, bathroom was very clean. However, the hotel and hard and soft furnishings are OLD! Some antique and others just plain old. I grew up in a 100+ year old Victorian home so I am very familiar with sloping floors, low ceilings and additions that don't always perfectly fit with structure. I do think that they could try to keep up with burnt out lightbulbs in hallways, clean the glass light fixtures in the hallways and keep up with some fresh paint throughout the building.

We were there for just one night. Our rate with taxes for a Saturday was $230. We did try breakfast at the attached restaurant and ordered the pancakes and also the praline french toast. Both were not very good at all. One server for all of the tables. He was efficient but working up a sweat since he was moving at a full out run most of them time we were there.

All in all we were mostly disappointed with our stay and don't plan to return here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter as this hotel is right on the corner of Main St. & Hwy 64/28
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debra312
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
0.4 km away
200 Main
200 Main
#3 of 7 in Highlands
0.7 km away
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.

Been to Highlands Inn? Share your experiences!