“Fantastic view, peaceful site, easy hike.”
Review of Max Patch

Max Patch
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Hot Springs
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

After an interesting drive, up a seldom marked gravel road, you park along the side of the road. But the best part is ahead.
Follow the easy trail up the mountain, join the AT (Appalachian Trail, white stripe) and quickly arrive at he summit. WOW, what a 360 degree view atop the bald! It was a beautiful day today, the mountain top was full of happy families, couples, dogs and children enjoying the awesome scenery, open spaces and kite flying. A day to remember.

2  Thank Gould S
"the smoky mountains"
"kite flying"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2018

The road to Max Patch is well travelled, but you may not realize that at first. I was meeting a hiker at Max Patch and had never been there. I was seriously wondering if I'd made a wrong turn as I bumped along the dirt road. I started seeing cars parked on the side of the very narrow road. I was in a Mercedes Sprinter van and was doubting whether I should continue on and risk needing to back up if I met someone coming from the other direction. I passed the first/smaller parking area and much to my relief came to the second parking area and made a parking spot for myself. It is a small lot, but wide enough to parallel park on one side and leave room for the other cars to back out. Because there are two parking areas I did worry that my hiker may stop at the first one, so I hiked back towards the direction he would be coming from and ended up having no problems. We were amazed by how many people were there until very late into the night - we spent the night in our van. We found out later that there was a big meteor shower and that's why it was so packed that night with lots of coming and going late into the night.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

We went for a Sunrise hike last week. It was dark when we started and the star gazing was AMAZING we were traveling with small kids so we used the left side hike (marked as easier) it took about 15 minutes or so to get to the vista. There were a handful of campers there and we watched the sunrise in silence it was surreal and amazing. The wildflowers were in bloom and the colors were just magnificent. Really a place to appreciate nature

2  Thank Rosie H
Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

Fairly easy trip up and around the mountain to the top. We took the hard trail but it was easy as it winds around instead of straight up. The views are worth the sweat equity! The road up can be confusing and rough. Dont forget to visit the pond but watch for snakes! We saw three.