“Denied Service”

Ranked #19 of 124 Restaurants in Kernersville
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2018

On August 10, 2018, we had a reservation for 3 at 7pm made through the restaurant’s reservation service, Resy. The group consisted of myself, my husband and my mother-in-law, and we were coming out to celebrate my husband’s birthday. We enjoy eating out, and trying new restaurants, so even though we live in Greensboro, we made the trip out to Kernersville because the menu items looked interesting and we enjoy the tapas style dining, which gives us a chance to try more things. When we arrived, in time for our reservation, there was no one to greet us at the door. After waiting several minutes, the owner, or a woman who claimed to be the owner, although that doesn’t match any of the information online, came to ask if we were there for the paella night or the regular menu, then after glancing at my husband and mother-in-law, who are African American, added that the paella night would be $45 per person, as if that would make up our minds, insinuating that it would be out of our price range. When we made the reservation, there was no mention of this paella night, so we told her that we were planning on the regular menu. Unable to be bothered with us at that point, she waved us out and told us to have a seat outside. She didn’t direct us to a table, no choice of inside or out, didn’t give us menus, and turned and left. We sat at a table, and waited as 2 servers walked by multiple times, and checked on tables on either side of us without speaking to us. 15 minutes after we arrived, I went in to see if I could find someone to give us menus. After standing up at the front by the door for another several minutes without being spoken to, I was able to catch the eye of the “owner” who begrudgingly came over. I told her that I was coming in to see if we could get some menus, and to make sure that someone knew we were still out there. She picked up some menus, and as she started walking out the door, told me that we would “have to be patient tonight because they were very busy inside”. I said that we were glad to be patient, but waiting 15 minutes for a menu, without being spoken to was excessive. When she again looked at my husband and mother-in-law who were waiting at the table, her tone shifted, and she said “You know, tonight is not going to be a good night to dine with us, you should go elsewhere”. I replied that we had a reservation, we were there to celebrate my husband’s birthday, and had already been waiting, we just wanted menus, but she repeated that tonight wasn’t a good night for us to be there, and that they were very busy. Justifiably upset, my mother-in-law told her that she felt she had been very rude to us, to which the woman waved us off. After turning the corner, we decided we really should go back and say something, because it wasn’t right for a business to treat people this way and brush it off so easily. We went back in and told the “owner” that we needed to speak with her. She replied that she was very tired and busy, and when it was clear that was not going to suffice, rushed us into the kitchen to avoid tables overhearing her treatment of lost customers. We told her that we felt she was dismissive from the time that we arrived, and asked why they would take reservations if they couldn’t accommodate them, to which she had no answer. Her only response was that she was “very busy and had a business to run”. It apparently didn’t matter that we were supposed to be among her customers. We just weren’t the right kind of customer. It was clear to us that race was definitely a factor in our treatment, from her obvious appraisal when we arrived, to her change of tone at again seeing who was at the table. Having looked at other reviews since arriving home, we are not alone in this treatment. This goes beyond just not honoring a reservation. They weren’t overbooked, there were 2 empty tables outside, and the servers found time to check up on other tables.
We ended up at a restaurant down the street – Giadas Trattoria is in walking distance down Main St, if you find yourself facing similar discrimination at Bistro B, and everyone at Giadas was very kind and polite. When we were leaving Giadas, we were stopped by another table, who had seen us leave Bistro B, and asked what happened. It turns out that they were there and left after a bad experience of their own (it also happens that the man who stopped us was Hispanic). They were not given the option of the paella night or regular menu, in fact, they were told that the regular menu was not going to be offered, and they were presented with a bill up front for the paella night, before they were even served.
I only wish that I had read reviews before having a special occasion ruined, as have others who have left similar feedback in multiple places. If your experience there has been good, that’s wonderful for you, I guess you fit their desired clientele, but do know that you are supporting a place with a clear service problem when it comes to other customers.

Date of visit: August 2018
3  Thank Byron G

Reviewed July 26, 2018

My wife and I drove to Kernersville specifically to have lunch at Bistro B. A friend of ours has dined there multiple times, and raves about it. The restaurant is located in a lovely area with several quaint shops. The interior is nicely designed and is large, with a nice bar area and a couple of dining areas. Our server, Michael P., met us at the door and cheerfully showed us to a nice table. The menu is creative, with nice light fare as well as delicious-sounding full dinners. We opted for salads and a soup. My wife had a fried oyster salad that was simply delicious. Thy oysters were succulent and lightly fried, and placed on a bed of greens with a vinaigrette dressing. I opted for an arugula salad with goat cheese and dried cranberries--again with a light vinaigrette. I also ordered a cup of their soup special: New Orleans gumbo. It had a little heat and delicious flavors of crawfish, shrimp and a light cream base. Very good. My only complaint was that my water glass had lipstick on the edge--and it wasn't mine! One has to ask: if the glass isn't cleaned well, what else isn't cleaned well? But Michael was appropriately apologetic, got me a fresh glass, and we immersed ourselves in a delicious lunch. We will return!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

Came across through Groupon. Cutely place in the historic area of kville. I’ve eaten here twice in one month but the first time was better than the last. My friends enjoyed ceviche, ribeye, salmon and scallop entrees. I admire the chef’s menu. Nice wine list and small but cute outdoor area to eat.

Reviewed July 1, 2018 via mobile

We have come in every so often for the past year or two but never have left a review until now. Mainly because the food is good, but the service is usually just mediocre. That is until tonight. Tonight we had to leave a review because the service was exceptional. First of all I want to say that our server Zack did an amazing job with everything. Starting off he recommended two passion fruit mojitos that we both agreed were definitely worth the $12 price point. Kudus to the bartender. Next we got an appetizer that was excellent. The timing of the food came out perfect. We also got entrees that were really tasty. You can definitely tell our server knew what he was doing. We will definitely be back because of him. Now, for the wow part. This may or may not come as a shock but we were literally blown away when we heard loud screaming from the kitchen at an employee. Shortly after he came out into the dining room and was talking to another employee we could tell it was the same voice we heard. Seeing photos around the restaurant of him with celebrities (some of which honestly looked photoshopped) made us realize that it was the head chef/ owner. Me and my friend looked around in amazement to see if anyone else noticed the screaming. We were honestly shocked and felt bad for whomever was at the other end. We have wondered why there is always new staff when we come in. From this display, I would assume to know the reason, but I may be wrong. I get it, people have bad days but this was definitely uncalled for. Needless to say, even with this we had a great night and look forward to coming back aside from the lack of professionalism of this man.

Reviewed June 25, 2018

Facts: Quiet Saturday night.; Reservation for 8 at 5:30; “Special” sign lists Soft-shell crabs.”
After our drinks & antipastos, (nicely presented: cheese board; salad caprese ), we eagerly awaited our entrée orders: the special - soft shell crabs-3; 1 duck; 1 hanger steak; 1 sirloin strip; 2 mixed small plates. After a reasonable time, all arrived except for the crab & duck entrees. Our waiter assured us that our 4 dishes would be “out in just a minute”. We joked with him about catching the crabs, the “story “behind this delay= possible free drink. He mumbled “discounting” these dishes. We observed much consultation in the kitchen. Were they watching a U-Tube video “How to cook S-S crabs?” Catching the duck? Skip to ~7:15 with 2 more assurances of “out..just a minute”. Finally our dishes arrived with no explanations. (note: The crabs were over-breaded & fried…not worth the very long wait). The bill arrived with no courtesy adjustments to 4 entrees –nor attempt to “comp” anything, nor free dessert offer, but with (of course!) 16% tip included and the “Friday special mojitos” priced at $12 each. Our biggest mistakes? Not asking for a manager nor cancelling our orders & walking out after waiting an hour for the duck & crabs.
We are nice reasonable people who dine out often at equally “nice” Triad restaurants. We understand glitches in the kitchen. We can adjust our order if there is a problem. We spent over $100/couple for this experience.
We missed the “clues” – our big mistake:
Clue 1: 8 texts reminding us of our 5:00 reservation (it took 2 calls to correct this)
Clue 2: “Wait staff wanted” sign” on the door
Clue 3: 2 Empty dining rooms upon arrival on a Saturday night
Lesson learned: never to return nor recommend BistroB.

2  Thank 270JillA