“Giadas Delivers Local Dining Satisfaction”
Review of Giadas Trattoria

Giadas Trattoria
Ranked #6 of 111 Restaurants in Kernersville
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Giadas Delivers Local Dining Satisfaction”
Reviewed 28 April 2013 via mobile

We were delighted to discover a local dining option- Giada's Trattoria. Arrived 6:30 Saturday night. Seated after brief wait (20 minutes). Just the right amount of ambience - dress up or casual. You will feel right at home. We ordered mussels in red sauce as an appetizer. Generous portion, tasty, well prepared. Ordered baked spaghetti, roasted scallops, seafood fra diavlo. We all enjoyed our selections. Service was great - Amy was attentive w/o making us feel rushed. Food was delicious. Location was convenient. Prices were reasonable. When looking for a local dining experience Giada's delivers. Check it out!!

1 Thank TJCaudill

Winston-Salem, NC
“Nice renovations to old factory space, too bad food is run-of-the-mill”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have dined at Giada's twice since its recent opening in the old Factory development in downtown Kernersville. While I liked Giada's ambiance overall, unfortunately I found the food to be rather lackluster for a non-chain Italian restaurant that prides itself on "authentic Italian recipes".

The Factory is a nice retail/shopping space that was in need of a dining tenant to help drive more traffic to the other shops, and Giada's has done a fairly good job of upfitting the large space they occupy. The proprietors decided on an open kitchen approach with "friendship table" seating nearest the kitchen, and several other separate dining areas. The overall decor is nice, though I felt the overhead table lamp lighting in the area where I dined should have been softened and the bare walls are in need of some artwork. Overall, those are minor details though, and did not greatly detract from the dining experience.

Service was adequate and attentive on both visits. Unfortunately, the one area where I felt my dining experience was most lacking was the food itself. On both occasions, the dishes I ordered were uninspired.

On the first occasion I ordered the chicken prosciutto, which arrived in a brownish sauce with mushrooms and a side accompaniment of spaghetti alfredo. The chicken dish was quite salty, much more salty in my opinion than could be attributable merely to the presence of the prosciutto; the saltiness dominated the dish and allowed no subtlety of any other flavors. On the other hand, the pasta alfredo accompaniment tasted more like a bland paste than a buttery, creamy alfredo sauce. I learned later that Giada's uses a base sauce for the creation of all its sauces (as undoubtedly most Italian restaurants do), so I'm guessing that the alfredo sauce is its base sauce and is intentionally kept bland so as not to overly influence the flavor of other sauces built over it.

On the second visit I tried the lasagna dish. Given that Giada's trumpets its "authentic Italian recipes", I was hoping I would experience some real zestiness in the flavor profile of the dish, and though the dish wasn't bad, neither did it impress-it was just okay. Unfortunately, the lasagna dish suffered mainly from a lack of any distinctive flavor in its tomato-based sauce. It was hard to detect the presence of any of the usual herbs which complement Italian-style red sauces, and the side salad's accompaniment by a rather uninspired house vinaigrette dressing didn't impress either.

Granted, Giada's is still fairly new, but I can't imagine the blandness/oversaltiness of dishes I tried can be attributed to "kinks to be worked out"; after all, the kitchen follows set recipes and line cooks should be accomplished enough to follow them and also know when dishes are too bland or oversalted. Sad to say, but on the basis of my (admittedly) limited experiences thus far, I prefer the pasta dishes at Macaroni Grill to those of Giada's, and when you choose the dishes of an above-average corporate chain over those of an "authentic" local restaurant, that's saying something.

While I will in all likelihood return to Giada's at some point to try their stone oven-baked pizzas, it's not likely that I will place them at the top of the list when I'm in the mood for pasta.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank EPICurean98
High Point, NC
“Food is wonderful!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Ate here on Tuesday night with a group. We all ordered different things, from Chicken Marsala to Lasagne and everyone loved their food! The atmosphere is interesting, the building is an old warehouse with exposed ductwork! Very nice. Our server was awesome, even with our large group. I ordered from the create your own pasta menu and had Fettucine with Alfredo sauce and had shrimp added. It was delicious! The salads are very good, try their house dressing. We had the onion stack appetizer and it was yummy, as well. The crusty rolls with butter were served beforehand and received plenty for our large table. They also have outside dining, a group was celebrating a birthday. I would go back in a minute and look forward to the next time. I just loved it!!

1 Thank WUMom
Kernersville, North Carolina
“Wow! I love this place!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I have dined here twice and both times, it was outstanding. It's a beautifully decorated place in an old furniture mill. There is a small "Italian Market" display in the lobby with a cozy bar off to the side. We sat at the bar as we waited a short while to be seated. The service was excellent and most of all, the food was delicious! So far, my wife and I have had the french onion soup, house salad, and fried mozzarella wedges for appetizers and all were very good. The entrees we have tried include the crabmeat stuffed tilapia which was perfectly cooked, fresh and hot and a huge portion. The baked spaghetti was unlike any I have ever had. It came in a large bowl with spagetti, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, crumbled Italian sausage, meatballs, marinara and melted mozzarella. I could only eat half and thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers the next day. My wife enjoyed her frutti di mare - fresh clams, mussels, scallops and shrimp in a delicious sauce over pasta. Their menu offers something for everyone and we can't wait to go back and try something else!

1 Thank edgar1525
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Authentic Italian”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We visited this new restaurant the other night and the food was superb! The atmosphere is different as it is in an old furniture factory. There are different rooms with tables. The tables are very tiny, but comfortable. We loved the exposed beams and old wooden doors in the room where we were seated. We tried the Italian Nachos and they were a pleasant surprise. The service was slow, but they were super busy. We will definitely return!

• Visited March 2013