“BEEN GOING HERE SINCE I WAS A KID”

Captain Tom's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 122 Restaurants in Kernersville
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 9, 2018

Great shrimp platters. Thats all I am going to talk about on here. Go and get the shrimp platter with fries, hushpuppies, slaw, sweet tea. No other way to go. This place has been in business for a long time for a reason.

Reviewed July 8, 2018

This is the first place I visited when I moved here 4 years ago. They have raw oysters, my favorite and the bar food and the personnel are great. We still come here at least once a month, just because.

Reviewed June 28, 2018

We decided to give Captain Tom's another try. Hubby and I both ordered the Popcorn Shrimp - he got the Large Platter ($10.49) and I got the Small Platter ($8.99). We both selected their side salad instead of the slaw. Slaw portions are very small, based on our experience. The side salad is nothing special - an ample serving of salad in a bag, 2 grape tomatoes, and three thin rings of red onion. The salad would be greatly improved if they added a few cucumber slices, croutons, etc. You get 1 small cup of salad dressing - I had French and Hubby had Blu Cheese. You also get 2 packages of Captain's Wafers. Hubby ordered french fries as his other side, and I got a baked potato. They are very generous with their hush puppies - he got 10 and did not eat them; I got 8 and just tried one of them. Hubby decided half way through dinner that he should have ordered the small platter. I took home a few hush puppies, my whole baked potato, and half my shrimp. Hubby took home about half his shrimp and some fries. Our server was attentive and the food was good. We will continue to dine here occasionally.

Reviewed March 14, 2018

We ate at Captain Tom's about a year ago and had not returned until yesterday. Our first trip was on the weekend, and we had to wait in the crowded lobby a tremendous amount of time to get a table. We decided to give it one more try during the week. We arrived about 5: 25 pm and were able to get a table immediately - a great start. We were seated at a table on the far side of the dining room, close to the parking lot. Our server arrived, and got our drink order - water and a sweet tea, both with no lemon. She returned with our drinks and a cup with lemons and said she couldn't remember if we wanted lemons or not. That should have been a clue as to how the rest of the meal would go. We ordered immediately. I got the Captain Tom's Combination Seafood Platter ($15.99 for a fried platter). It has fillet of flounder, oysters, scallops, popcorn shrimp, and deviled crab. My sides were a loaded baked potato and a side salad with blue cheese dressing. You also get hush puppies with this platter. Hubby ordered Mountain Chicken: a grilled chicken breast basted with BBQ sauce topped with ham, bacon, cheddar cheese, diced tomato, and green onion for $11.99. He was supposed to get a side salad and one side. He ordered french fries and corn on the cob. Things slowed down to a crawl after that. When we arrived and ordered, there were only a few people in the dining room. We waited, and waited and waited for our food. We did get a couple of refills on our drinks while we waited. Finally, I received my side salad and 2 packages of captain's wafer crackers. Basically this salad was chopped lettuce, a few small rings of red onion, and about 3 or 4 small cherry tomatoes. You do get 2 small tubs of dressing to go with it. It's a plain Jane sort of salad - very basic. After I finished my salad, our drinks were refilled again and the waitress said she would check on our food. We finally got our meal. The server said she had dropped the butter and sour cream for my baked potato on the way, and said she would get me some more. My platter had 1 flounder fillet, 5 or 6 oysters, 5 scallops, a deviled crab and a mountain of fried popcorn shrimp. On a smaller plate were my large baked potato and about 8 or 9 hush puppies each shaped like a finger. I had ordered the large platter, planning to take most of the meal home with me. I would never order oysters on their own (generally not a fan of oysters) , but you cannot make substitutions when you order this platter. So I ate the oysters with dabs of tartar sauce and red seafood sauce and they were good, to my surprise. I gave hubby a taste of the scallops and he said it tasted more like fish than scallops to him. They had a slightly sweet taste to me and were okay.There was nothing special about the deviled crab - it was very bland and I could not tell there was crab in it. The fried popcorn shrimp were excellent and there was a huge serving of them on my platter. The hush puppies were very good - slightly sweet, golden brown with a generous serving of them. Hubby received his mountain chicken, corn on the cob, and ........ slaw. The server disappeared and we saw her going in and out of the kitchen on the far side of the dining room numerous times. For a very long span of time she did not return to our table. When she finally returned, hubby mentioned that he had ordered french fries instead of slaw and I mentioned the butter and sour cream for my potato. She returned with a large burger basket container of nicely browned fries for him, but no butter or sour cream for me. At last, with another trip, I received the butter and sour cream. Hubby liked his mountain chicken. I had a taste and have to say I was not impressed - it was a processed chicken breast that I thought was dry with lots of "stuff" on top. He liked his fries. Don't choose the corn as a side - it was a tiny frozen food style mini cob of corn - maybe 3 inches long. Also, as meager as the side salad is, it is a better choice than the tiny serving of slaw. You get a little more than 1/3 cup of slaw in a paper cup - I measured it when we got home - and the slaw has no seasoning in it that I could see or taste. Hubby took home half of his mountain chicken, some fries, and his slaw for a lunch. I took home the flounder fillet, some hush puppies, my baked potato, and 2/3 of my mountain of shrimp. It's enough for two small lunches for me. I really enjoyed my seafood platter and the servings were very generous. The service was at an astonishingly slow pace . We will go back again during the week early in the evening and won't order slaw or corn. We will plan to wait a very long time for the mostly great food.

1  Thank NancyD3207
Reviewed March 12, 2018

great place to get some great sea food, it was brought out hot and nice portion. Been here several times always good.