All reviews time share bedroom unit private parking lot fishing pond wooded area wash dishes amenities fee nice resort screened in porch great vacation duck common areas exercise room paddle boats the indoor water park kill devil hills outer banks
Reviewed June 4, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here 3 years ago, so we knew what to expect. We only booked a month ago and were very surprised to see an open unit but figured it was because renovations were on going (which was in fine print on RCI website). Upon arrival, we encountered several very upset guests at the check in trailer. Apparently unaware of the fact that all amenities except units were closed. I question whether the resort should of even be open during this type of construction (debris floating in pond, backhoes , construction vehicles at 5 a.m...) Really the only positive at this point is that the unit we stayed in (703b) was just renovated with new appliances although the pull out couch/bed has a huge dark stain on the mattress. After the work is done, it should be very nice. I do feel for the families with young kids coming here this summer expecting a pool.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Leroybrow
Reviewed June 3, 2015

We were concerned about our planned visit to Barrier Island Station since we heard there were problems just before we set off from the UK. So arrived very apprehensive but had decided to make the best of it, as a base for exploring the Outer Banks.
True all the facilities are closed as part of the remodelling and there is a lot of building going on. However, our apartment is great. All new equipment, very clean and spacious. Beds are very comfortable, although the pillows could be better. Furniture is a little dated but otherwise fine. The laundry area has an excellent washer and dryer and there is everything you need for a comfortable stay. The air conditioning is effective but a look in the closet housing the unit is a little worrying. Perhaps the resort should check it out.
They are also providing a pass for the YMCA, so we can go to a pool, although it is a 10 mile drive away! The children's playground is out of use, though, so this might affect a family vacation.
The area is definitely worth a visit. So, if you have a stay booked at Barrier Island Station ( now being re-named Beachwoods), don't be too worried. But if you have kids who need more than just a beach to play on, perhaps think about relocating.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms have less steps but can suffer from noise from floor above.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LainyNorthWales_UK
Reviewed June 1, 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I just got back from our trip to the OBX and we have just fallen in love with the whole island and the atmosphere. We were given a week for a timeshare anywhere and when Hilton Head, SC was all booked, we looked farther north. We had never heard of the Outer Banks in NC before and certainly never heard of Kitty Hawk. We looked for a place on RCI and decided with Barrier Island Station in Kitty Hawk (there is also one in Duck). The place is under construction right now and is to be renamed as BeachWoods Resort. The pictures of the plans they have for the resort are gorgeous!

When I read the reviews, I was a little weary and skeptical about staying here. People said it was unpleasant and terrible and that the place is under major renovations. I do agree that the construction was a little inconvenient, as summertime is upon us and both pools are closed. The main office is also in a mobile trailer office, which is different and a little crammed but what can they do? Their lobby is under construction! They are doing the best they can do be able to accommodate their guests, and you aren't staying in the trailer, it's just for check-in! They also provide an OBX guide of fun things to do, where to eat and shop, and a coupon book also!!

When we checked in around 5:30, they said our room was finally ready, which I thought was odd cause check in was at 4 and here it is 5:30 and it sounded like our room had just become available. Anyway, when we booked the room, we were expecting a condo with a half kitchen (2 burners and a microwave, mini fridge, sink), bedroom, bathroom, and a small living area. When we opened the door, we were SO shocked. Our unit had just been fully renovated and finished that day, and we were the first to use it! It smelled like new carpet and fresh paint. Not only were all appliances stainless steel along with granite countertops, we had a FULL kitchen (including a stove with 5 burners, oven, dishwasher, 2 sided sink, fridge with freezer and an ice maker). Cabinets were all new as well as the floor in the kitchen area. Our bedroom was cute and cozy, with a new dresser and nightstands with lamps. The bedroom and living room both had a flat screen TV, and the living room had a dvd/vcr combo. The couch in the living room was new and comfortable, along with the coffee table and the TV stand. Our dinner table had 4 chairs and was a glass top. Bathroom had brand new counter, sink, and toilet. Shower looked clean and new as well. The sink had a huge gorgeous mirror above it with lighting on top. New cabinets also. There was a hairdryer under the bathroom sink. The bathroom was impressive! There was a washer/dryer in the hall between the units (A and B) which we shared with the other unit. There was also a closet in the hall with a mop (no broom though, which was a bummer!) There was also an ironing board with an iron out there.

We did not really wander around the resort much, only to the stocked pond that was in the beginning of the resort. We were on Hanging Moss Trail so we could walk down to the end of our "road" and there was a passage over to the pond where we would fish at night. There were some picnic tables and charcoal grills across the way from our unit that the public could use. They were definitely gutting out the other units, we went to throw some trash away in a dumpster on Sweet Gum Place and there were old washers/dryers, stoves, toilets, etc in the parking lot waiting to be picked up.

The resort is directly behind a Super Walmart which is GREAT news for a couple of young adults who had to finish up some food shopping and forgot some little things. There's a RedBox there too!! If you head out the back way of the resort (the road is a little curvy and windy) and cross the road at the set of lights after the golf course, there is free parking for Barrier Island Station Resort guests. You can park there and cross another small road and head directly to the beach! The parking lot is also right across the street from Smiley's, where you can rent beach chairs, surf boards, paddle boards, etc. for a good price hourly, daily, or weekly.

Heading out the back of the resort will also bring you to the main "strip" in Kitty Hawk, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, including a bunch of shops and restaurants. There is a Food Lion and KMart on the strip. It is not too commercialized which I loved. You can also head to the Kitty Hawk Pier, behind the Hilton Garden Inn. At mile marker 6, you can fish off of the Avalon Fishing Pier, or pay $2 and sight see (this was GREAT at sunset!) Nags Head also has a pier. There is no "board walk" per say but Duck offers a bunch of little shops and restaurants within walking distance of each other.

All in all, we had a great time at the Barrier Island Station (BeachWoods). We had a hard time leaving. We honestly cannot wait to go back to see what the resort will look like when it is completed!!! The OBX has made an amazing impression on us, and I think the beautiful condo at BeachWoods Resort took part in that. Give this place a chance, you won't regret it!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Stephanie M
Reviewed May 31, 2015

We've owned the week of Memorial Day at BIS (now Beachwoods) at Kitty Hawk for many years. We stay every year, and we've been happy enough. As you can tell from the reviews they are undergoing a huge renovation. It was only reading recent reviews here that I learned that the place is under construction. So I knew what we were going to find last week.

I never cared about any of the amenities except the pool. There is no pool right now. They told me they expect to have it up and running by the end of July. You can see the changes and improvements being made, and I think it's going to be nice. It's just unfortunate that it has to continue into the season.

We own in the 400 building. They put us in 100 which has been renovated although the new furniture hasn't been moved in. The improvements were needed, and they did a good job. New carpetting, flooring, kitchen & bath cabinets, granite, appliances, windows. They are gutting the units. They are also putting new roofs on. Our building was the only one in the cul-de-sac that didn't have a new roof. I was concerned they were going to do that while we were there. They didn't.

If you've been there you know that the buildings are in very wooded settings. So the sun never really gets to the decks, etc, which is why I like the pool to sit by and relax. So the units are nice. But I missed the pool. They are giving passes to use the pool at the YMCA but that's about 10 miles south. I wasn't interested in that.

If you're an owner you know you're going to be paying for these improvements. If you plan to go for a visit, I wouldn't until you know it's all been put back together.

Room Tip: We own a second floor unit. It's certainly quiet but beware: It's an 18-step climb up the outside steps.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank Sandy S
Reviewed May 5, 2015

I enjoyed the unit here, apparently Wyndham is taking over this property, but I was not very satisfied with the cable service and the WiFi. A heads up, they chart 16.99 per DAY for WiFi service here. While a vacation is about getting away from the normal attachments of our daily lives, it is still nice to be able to check in on family and friends and upload photos from our excursions and the like. There is construction, but it is not a big deal. Overall the place is nice, and I would certainly come back.

Room Tip: Very secluded from the hustle and bustle of main street.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family