“A must stop in OBX”

Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

This barbecue joint is a must stop for my family when in the Outer Banks. Located in Kitty Hawk off 158 MM 2. The restaurant has become notorious in the four years, or so it has been operating for offering great tasting food, incredible pricing and charming hospitality for it's customers.

The strip it's located in has a few shops including my favorite place to get doughnuts "Duck Donuts". I have been here often enough at different times of the season and have never had issue with finding a space to park. The exterior of the building is made of wood slats in keeping with the feel of the beach area homes. I think you find it inviting.

A step inside probably surprise most guest as it is a large wide open space with light coming in from huge window above. The floors, tables and chairs are wood. The walls are paneled in knotty pine The restrooms are to the back right as you walk in and a small retail store is in an area elevated to the left. Checkout is in the front.

So now that you have a lay of the land lets talk about their menu. They offer a smaller menu with main entrees of brisket, chicken, ribs and pulled pork. Surprisingly as much as I come here I have not had everything and focused on the two entrees I like the most, the brisket and fried chicken. The sides as I recall are green beans, french fries, cabbage, cole slaw, dumplings, baked beans Brunswick Stew and apple sauce. Some other reviewers had taken pics of fried okra, I don't recall seeing that on the menu. The sides that I most often get are the fries, green beans and hush puppies.

On my last visit we had a large party of twelve. Owner Will accommodated us all nicely in a large center table that made me feel like we were holding court. The tables in the dining room are spread out enough that you do not feel like your on top of each other which is refreshing. Our waiter was on top of us quickly and broke down the different groups so the checks could be split four ways. No rolling of eyes etc. when asked to do this. Drink orders were taken and in a flash he was back with everyone's beverages at the same time and had two hush puppy baskets for the tables.

I ordered my usual brisket platter with side of green beans and french fries.. Wife pulled pork with green beans slaw. The kids ordered the children's fried chicken. From experience we know that the kids meal is huge and enough to feed an adult. The ordering is done on iPad's and if you have a really good waiter like we did they dance all over it so quick your head will spin. A table of twelve had orders placed in minutes. With this system mistakes are almost completely neutralized in the kitchen.

It did not take long with four children at the table to have the delicious hush puppies incinerated. When warm they are really yummy, when cold meh! Our food was at the table in less than fifteen minutes. However, instead of knowing where they all went they had to call the dishes out which should be improved. I enjoyed another great brisket platter, although fries were strangely over done, no biggie. I heard no complaints from anyone at the table on taste, or accuracy of order. I sampled some cabbage for the first time and found it really tasty, so don't knock it til you try it. Drinks were refilled promptly at all times and service remained friendly and attentive throughout the meal. The kids are always excited to finish so they can get a moon pie desert which is always devoured on the spot.

I have never bought anything from their retail area, but have looked around. An assortment of in house bbq sauces, peanuts, shirts and other items are for sale. There sauces are very good, but the best I have ever had no. High Cotton offers event catering and I believe it must be a big part of their business based on the trailers housed to the side. As well they partner with community organization often which is a win/win for both.

On this day checkout was very smooth, even with a large group. The total for my family was around $40 with tip which is an amazing value. The consistency has been spot on for years with High Cotton, I see no reason to not continue to keep it in my must stops when making the trip down to OBX. Keep in mind only on season do they open on Sunday's.

1  Thank jdavidhillery
Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed August 26, 2017

High Cotton is one of those restaurants that you want to go back to several times on the same trip. The food is a really good value and the service is fast once you are seated. If you go before 5:30 you can be seated right away and can get an early bird discount, which makes the value even better. If you go later, there will be a wait to be seated. You get a lot of food if you order a sandwich or platter, which includes hush puppies and 2 sides.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

We did takeout from High Cotton. Instead of ordering the family packages we ordered family size portions and got exactly what we wanted for a better deal. We ordered a whole smoked chicken, a fried chicken, rack of ribs and brisket. The brisket was the highlight, ribs weren't great. The smoked chicken is a smoked chicken covered in BBQ sauce. Not what I was expecting. Cole slaw not great. When I called in the order I asked how the green beans were made and the man told me they open the can and put a little salt on them. We passed on those. The fried chicken was pretty good. Overall nothing special but enjoyed having BBQ on vacation.

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

I had pulled chicken and loved it the fries were great and my boyfriend thought the ribs were amazing! Very nice people too!

1  Thank Kristina F
Reviewed August 23, 2017 via mobile

Ate with friends and family for lunch in the high season. Quick, inexpensive, filling. Portions were large as well. I had ribs and smoked cabbage. Plenty of meat that fell off the bone. The seasoning was a bit bland for my tastes, and their house sauces were not my style. I prefer thick and sweet. No real complaints. I'd go again and again