“Excellent Food, Service, and Location”
Review of High Cotton NC BBQ

High Cotton NC BBQ
Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed November 19, 2017

SUMMARY: As a quick summary of our experience at this fine establishment, my wife and I dined here for lunch on a Saturday. The food was delicious and very affordable, and the service was incredible.

SERVICE: We were greeted immediately by one of the staff as soon as we walked in and kindly given our choice of any table we wanted to seat ourselves. Waters and menus delivered immediately upon sitting down. We had our orders in within 2 to 3 minutes of sitting down. Food came out within 5 minutes and was hot, fresh, and absolutely delicious (more detail below). The whole experience at this establishment was top-notch. We were provided with quick, friendly service by no less than 4 staff. This team is firing on all cylinders and is very efficient.

FOOD: My wife and I ordered the same combo plate with BBQ (pulled pork) and fried chicken (breast and a wing). She wanted collards and baked beans, so I got okra and coleslaw. In my opinion, everything except the coleslaw was fantastic. The slaw was just not my favorite. Not bad at all, just not my personal preference and to be totally fair I'm very picky when it comes to coleslaw. This was more than made up by the quality of the okra which was hot and crispy, the pulled-pork which had excellent flavor (as do their sauces), and the fried chicken was incredibly juicy and tender with a robust breading. My wife enjoyed her collards as much as I enjoyed my okra, but she said the baked beans weren't her favorite but they did taste good. Like my coleslaw, she's picky about her baked beans. Even so, nothing here was bad at all. Hushpuppies were also crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and HOT (temp).

We liked the BBQ sauce so much we bought two bottles to take home, one to give to some friends who also love BBQ.

PRICE: Last but not least, the price. For both combos, tax, tip and the two bottles of sauce to take home our total came to $35. That (in my honest opinion) is the definition of value. Anywhere else I believe we would have paid much closer to $50 for our meals and the sauce.

RECOMMENDATION: If you haven't been here and you love BBQ, rest assured you will not be disappointed by the food and the attentive service. I would absolutely recommend this establishment to anyone who loves good BBQ.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed October 31, 2017

We recently ordered take out from High Cotton during our stay at the Outer Banks. The food was really solid. My wife and I both ordered a combination plate with a huge portion of pork barbeque and the what I think was called Mike's special chicken. Both were very good. The baked beans were also very good. I would pass on the cole slaw and order another one of their sides as it was quite forgettable.

Reviewed October 27, 2017

There were probably 25 people waiting outside for a table so we opted to do a take out order. Both ordered the brisket platter and it was simply amazing. Flavor was perfection on a plate ! The brisket portion was enormous and actually had lunch the next day with the left overs.
Sides were very tasty as well.
100% recommend.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

The chopped brisket and pork were very good. M wife loved the hush puppies. The smoked chicken was fine as well.

Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

This was highly recommended by the hotel staff. I suppose since there is limited options of BBQ in this area this joint is popular. Brisket is good. Sides are average.