“Excellent Family Place”

Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Authentic. Simple. Delicious. High Cotton Barbeque has been well-known on the Outer Banks for over 10 years for their Eastern North Carolina Style Barbeque, Famous Fried or Slow Smoked Juicy Chicken, Melt in Your Mouth Ribs and Texas-style Beef Brisket. As Tarheel natives we want to share the flavors and aromas unique to Eastern North Carolina Barbeque. Consistent temperatures and long hours of smoking with hickory coals produce the characteristic pink coloring and sweet outside brown meat of our famous pork barbeque. Combined with our traditional side dishes and a glass of sweet tea and you're in High Cotton, Outer Banks Barbeque at its very best.
Reviewed December 21, 2017

Excellent casual dining (or take out) family fav's like fried chicken, BBQ and all the fixins to go with. Kids menu. Quick service

Write a ReviewReviews (1,439)

Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

Great barbecue especially the brisket. We are never disappointed unless they are closed eat in or take out. It is fantastic food

Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

Excellent fried chicken and collards! The brisket is outstanding! Would definitely go there when they reopen. We're locals!

Reviewed November 27, 2017

Have eaten here before and been very happy so we decided to try it again. I ordered the 2 meat plate while the other 2 people with me ordered beef brisket sandwiches. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the food came out quickly.
The pulled pork with good and the sauces they had just made it better if you like the NC vinegar style.
The brisket on the other hand was not up to par. I have had lots of BBQ from all over this country and I make my own as well. This brisket looked old. It was dry and had that grey color to it like beef gets when its been reheated several times. I couldn't even eat mine. The others buried it in sauce and moved forward because they were hungry. Just not sure what happened this time, maybe the holiday messed them up or something.
The BBQ beans were good and the fries were very good, but who goes to a BBQ joint to talk about the fries. IF we try them again in the future I will have to ask for a sample of the brisket first to see if its fresh out of the smoker.

Reviewed November 19, 2017

SUMMARY: As a quick summary of our experience at this fine establishment, my wife and I dined here for lunch on a Saturday. The food was delicious and very affordable, and the service was incredible.

SERVICE: We were greeted immediately by one of the staff as soon as we walked in and kindly given our choice of any table we wanted to seat ourselves. Waters and menus delivered immediately upon sitting down. We had our orders in within 2 to 3 minutes of sitting down. Food came out within 5 minutes and was hot, fresh, and absolutely delicious (more detail below). The whole experience at this establishment was top-notch. We were provided with quick, friendly service by no less than 4 staff. This team is firing on all cylinders and is very efficient.

FOOD: My wife and I ordered the same combo plate with BBQ (pulled pork) and fried chicken (breast and a wing). She wanted collards and baked beans, so I got okra and coleslaw. In my opinion, everything except the coleslaw was fantastic. The slaw was just not my favorite. Not bad at all, just not my personal preference and to be totally fair I'm very picky when it comes to coleslaw. This was more than made up by the quality of the okra which was hot and crispy, the pulled-pork which had excellent flavor (as do their sauces), and the fried chicken was incredibly juicy and tender with a robust breading. My wife enjoyed her collards as much as I enjoyed my okra, but she said the baked beans weren't her favorite but they did taste good. Like my coleslaw, she's picky about her baked beans. Even so, nothing here was bad at all. Hushpuppies were also crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and HOT (temp).

We liked the BBQ sauce so much we bought two bottles to take home, one to give to some friends who also love BBQ.

PRICE: Last but not least, the price. For both combos, tax, tip and the two bottles of sauce to take home our total came to $35. That (in my honest opinion) is the definition of value. Anywhere else I believe we would have paid much closer to $50 for our meals and the sauce.

RECOMMENDATION: If you haven't been here and you love BBQ, rest assured you will not be disappointed by the food and the attentive service. I would absolutely recommend this establishment to anyone who loves good BBQ.