All reviews rumbling bald apple valley lazy river golf course great golf fairway villas in great shape mini golf chimney rock security gate rent a golf cart family vacation tennis courts rental house trout stream pontoon boat beach area
Reviewed June 29, 2011

20 golfers from Canada made their annual late March Trek down south. We stayed in the Fairway Villas, right on the golf course, and really enjoyed our accommodations. Not one golfer had a complaint regarding the rooms, which is a first in over 10 years. The 4 separate beds was a big plus, as opposed to the usual RCI setup. We always pack a room box ( good frying pan oven mitts etc.....) but are rooms we fully equipped and the was no need for our extras.
Although we had nightly rain and the courses were soggy, we managed to get 5 rounds of golf in. The course layouts are challenging and a good test of golf. The golf staff was excellent and addressed our needs.
When booking rooms and golf, the rep's were the best that I have ever dealt with. They addressed our needs in a very prompt and professional manner. Overall, the staff at the resort were great to us and did a couple of things that were above and beyond anything we'd experienced before.
The Legends went out of their way for our closing party.
One thing you have to keep in mind. This resort is gorgeous but quite isolated but the peace and quiet outweighs the isolation. We didn't take advantage of most of the resort amenities, other than golf and the lounges.
Yes we will be going back!!!!!

Room Tip: Fairway villas offer golf and or Lake views.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I want to take this opportunity to thank Celeste and her staff at Rumbling Bald Resort. This is our second straight year of going there for our golf tournament and like the first year EVERYONE THOROUGHLY enjoyed themselves. If you got a group of guys who love golf and like beautiful scenery at an affordable price, then please try Rumbling Bald. You will not be disappointed. Thanks again Celeste. See you next year!!!!!

Kevin D. Charlotte n.c.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2011

My wife and I traveled to Lake Lure for a good friend's wedding recently, and the Rumbling Bald Resort was the chosen lodging for the wedding party and other principal or out-of-town guests. I'll have to say that it is a beautiful place. But that alone does not make for a great experience.

The first sign of trouble was when the attendant at the check-in desk gave us the wrong directions to our villa (Apple Valley). Also, the map she gave us was horribly not to scale and did not have road names or major non-resort landmarks (in other words, it was useless). After half an hour of going down the wrong roads, we ended up asking a maintenance worker how to get the Apple Valley villas (he got it right). These villas are generally nice, but are more than a mile from the main resort compound, where the pool, guest services, and restaurants are located. This is something to keep in mind if you have kids that will want to go to the pool.

When we got into our room, it was clean and tidy...but there was no toilet paper. I called the desk to report this, and they asked if I could come by and pick up the toilet paper. I told them no way in hell I was going to drive 1.5 miles to correct *their* mistake.

Also, each villa is owned by a different private party, so decorating and technological amenities vary greatly. For example, our room had an old CRT television and no WIFI or any other type of networking hookups, and looked like it was decorated by octogenarian golfers. Another couple that was there for the wedding had a very nicely (modern) decorated villa. So it's a crapshoot. Be sure to ask for a villa that has networking if this is important to you. Oh, and there is no 3G services anywhere in Lake Lure, and even basic cell service is spotty at best. The resort advertises that they have WIFI, but it's only guaranteed in the main guest services/check in building.

I realized late Friday night that my villa key worked great for the lock built into the doorknob, but that it would not open the deadbolt. My wife had gone to bed earlier in the evening (she is a very heavy sleeper) and locked the deadbolt, so I could not get into my room and had to stay with another of the wedding guests. This is just sloppy property management.

Friends who also stayed in the Apple Valley the same weekend reported that their rooms were not clean when the checked in, ranging from cigarette butts in the toilet, a cigar put out in a glass of scotch on the counter, to not having linens on the bed. But other friends reported no issues at all. So it seems to be an issue of gross inconsistency.

For the amount of money paid for the room, I expected much better service. Rumbling Bald was an all-around disappointment, with a few minor bright spots. I can say that the bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit I had for breakfast at the resort's tiny little "Legends" grill was excellent. Oh, and the pool was pretty nice. Otherwise, the place was dragged down by incompetence and mediocrity.

Avoid this place. There are other places to spend your money in Lake Lure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank fwhitesides
Reviewed June 13, 2011

A property management on the north end of the lake with 200 properties and breath taking views.
We stayed in a Fairway Villa which was in walking distance to most of the resort amenities. This resort is a 3700 acre resort so we did not get to cover all of it. We played golf at Bald Mountain, beautiful course. Enjoyed a wonderful evening on the patio of Lakeview Restaurant with crab cakes and a bottle of wine. The dinner cruise was our favorite of our entire stay. It is a must see.

Room Tip: It is a property management call ask questions...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We showed up for our 3 day vacation only to find out that a storm had come through and knocked out the power to most of the resort the night before. This could have easily canceled or ruined our vacation...but the staff was wonderful! They handled the situation smoothly and moved us to a unit with power. The power did come back on a few hours later...so we were able to enjoy all the amenities of this lovely resort. The sandy beach is perfect for little ones, it even has shaded areas you can relax in and a playground. The outdoor pools were clean and perfect for children. This is not a 5 star resort, so don't expect fancy accommodations...but our condo was clean and spacious. We will absolutely make this an annual trip! I only have great things to say about the staff and how helpful they were. This resort is a perfect location for a family vacation. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family