All reviews fire pit front porch three bedroom enjoyed our stay mike dawn pet motel cabin spyder sheets rally motorcycle
Reviewed May 28, 2017

For the past 5 years we have stayed at the Alamo every Memorial Day weekend and Labor Day weekend. When we called to confirm our reservations , we were told that Dawn and Mike were no longer there . According to the new owners we did not have reservations , had no rooms available. They would not honor our reservations or the other 2 couples that would go. Could not make out the writing , they said.. We will not stay or honor this place again. I agree with Sandra S., "What made this place so special is no longer there."

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
10  Thank jccherokee1957
Reviewed May 7, 2017

Another good stay at this friendly and clean location. There are new owners and they have really spruced up the place! Very convenient to all of the area and you feel right at home here. Will definitely be back!

Room tip: Very nice and roomy cottages
Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2017

About the rating. I would give it a 5 for my past stays as I've only great experiences. However, going forward, this place just won't do.

Why? Two reasons...number one - Dawn & Mike are no longer there. Two, this place isn't going to be open during ski season any longer.

I, and my two large dogs, have stayed at The Alamo once a month for the past two years while I've patrolled at Cataloochee. The biggest treat about staying here was Dawn & Mike. It was always like coming to visit family with these two. They always greeted us with smiles & hugs (and home made dog treats.) Most importantly, they took care of my fur babies while I was at work. It was such a peace of mind to me knowing that they were being looked after by people who love dogs as much as I do.

I'm not sure what happened or why things happened so suddenly (they were there during my stay in December) but when I called to make my reservation for this month I ended up talking to the "person who owns the note", he wasn't anywhere near friendly. Kind of rude, actually. Who wants to do business with someone like that? Not me.

To me, it wouldn't matter if they were going to continue to be open during the winter - without Dawn & Mike there to make us all feel so welcome or to provide loving attention to my dogs, I wouldn't stay there anyway. Without them, this is just another motel among the many others that are in the Valley.

I'm really disappointed that we have lost our home away from home.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
6  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed January 2, 2017

Staying at Dawn & Mike's pet-friendly motel is like coming home to newly-found relatives - not just for us, but our large dog as well. Dawn offers a free pet-sitting service so while you're snowboarding at Cataloochee (10 mins away) or gambling at Harrah's Cherokee (30 min), rest assured Dawn will walk and feed your "doggy baby" 2-3 times a day. She also provides dog sheets (if the dog wants to get up on the bed) and a dog towel. Communal grills & a fire pit add to the homeliness and warmth of their property.

We had a large motel room with a King & Queen bed. It's got the basics and is good value for money. The mattresses are a little soft, so for those who prefer something firmer, please note.

There are some lovely walks to take with your doggy baby, including the one around Lake Junaluska. We also had some memorable meals in nearby Waynesville, particularly at Bogart's Tavern (the Prime Rib) and the Waffle House (the only place open on Christmas Day)!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2016

Love this place! We stayed at the motel part and it's like going to an old friends house. Dawn had our room ready and warm just waiting for our arrival. We have two small dogs that are also a very special part of our family. Dawn offers a wonderful service while we were at the ski resort where she comes in and walks the dogs while we were gone. What a relief for us to not have to worry about our pets. Room has refrigerator and microwave and is so clean and quaint. Beds are comfortable and cozy just like home. Wifi was excellent. We will be back. Thank you for the wonderful hospitality.

Room tip: I don't think you can go wrong with any room or cottage here.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family