“Clean and Comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Murphy
Reviewed 23 April 2017

When in far west North Carolina for business, this is my go to hotel - most recently stayed two nights in early April. It's clean and comfortable. It's also quiet depending on the location of the assigned room. The indoor pool and breakfast are nice amenities. I would suggest requesting a room away from the elevator and the side facing the town of Murphy. The staff is friendly and helpful. My only complaint is the smoking area being located right beside the front door. If the area is being used, sometimes it's walking through a cloud of smoke, otherwise a good place to stay.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing toward the town of Murphy is quietest- 3rd floor has least HVAC noise.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Dear Mark S,

Your feedback is important to us at the Holiday Inn Express in Murphy. We appreciate your review so we can look into any areas that may need attention. I'm glad to hear that you found our hotel clean and our staff friendly. We hope that you choose us again for a stay in the future and exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 16 April 2017

I stayed here on April 3rd, and spent several hours in the room. I was about to turn it in for the night and notice a spider the size of a rat on the curtain (something I've only seen on National Geographic). I brought it to the attention of the night person who gave me another room and helped me clear my things out of the room. I was to stay a week but I checked out of the hotel the next day.

The one star rating isn't necessarily for the spider but more so how IHG and the Hotel handles such negative experiences. I completed the post stay survey and completed a review for IHG website;however it was rejected. I was completely honest in my assessment but I guess they don't accept honest feedback if it's negative. Also, nobody from hotel management ever called to apologize or anything, after IHG stated somebody would contact me.

In the end I did not sleep at all that night for fear the Hotel might be infested with these gigantic spiders. I didn't even request a refund for my stay but I doubt it would have been offered anyway. I'm just thankful I didn't go to sleep and wake to a gigantic spider biting me.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank EDM9999
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2017

Dear EDM9999,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us feedback. We sincerely apologize for the spider in your room and that you felt our property did not live up to your expectations. We did find said spider the next day, it wasn't quite as large as I imagined based on your description, we are not "infested with spiders" but we are located in the mountains and unfortunately nature has a way of finding a way in sometimes. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I'm unsure why IHG rejected your review, that is not in our control at the hotel level, we did however receive your survey. Again, thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

We were in Murphy, NC and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights. Unfortunately I had broken my foot & everyone on the entire staff went out of their way to be sure I had everything I needed. We got a handicapped accessible suite & it was set up perfect. I doubt an ADA inspector could have found a problem. The rooms were very clean and large enough for two people & a wheelchair. Special thanks to Cat who was the night clerk on our first night and did everything to get us settled and get what we needed. Only problem was as in most Holiday Inns the beds were a little old & worn but we slept great. Since there is a casino in town all the hotels raise rates for the weekend but this was reasonable @ $134 per night versus the casino which raised the weeknight rate of $79 to $279 for the weekend.

Overall I would strongly recommend this hotel to families, leisure travelers & business people.

Room Tip: No specific recommendations - we were on 3rd floor which was very quiet
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Dear dwsorrells,

We appreciate your comments about our hotel and staff. We work hard to always ensure your stay is clean, comfortable, and a breeze! Thank you for recognizing our hospitality. I will be sure and share your comments with our staff. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised for this class of motel.

The not great by any means but it was reasonable clean and comfortable. The one issue I recall was checking in, it too forever. There was one person in front of me and it was like the clerk was intentionally making it take as long as it could, the. When it was my turn it was clear this was the case.

I was questioned about my room selection when I made my reservation, she wanted to know why I chose a handicap room, which I didn't. I told her over and over again that I didn't need a handicap room and she kept trying to find a frost floor room. I told her I prefer a high floor not the first floor and she said that there are no handicap rooms on the high floors. I reminded her again that I don't want a handicap room as she said I reserved one. I said not intentionally, if I did it was because it was all that was available.

After being asked a few more times why I needed a handicap room she gave me the keys to a first floor room. On and on it went. By this time there was a line behind me.

My only issue with the room was that it was first floor and I could hear the people above me all night. The floors are wood and I'm not sure but I think there was a bowling ally over my room.

I would probably stay here again, it's a little more convenient than the casino but the rooms are not as nice.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2017

Dear Ron M,

We appreciate your review of our hotel and look forward to your next reservation. Thank you very much for staying with us!

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

The hotel is within 0.3 miles of lot of eateries just off the highway. It looks newly built or remodeled. The only complaint I had was breakfast - there was no service. When we went at 9 am, the buffet had no plates, no omelette, no cinnamon rolls. What is bad that nobody bothered or even refilled them. They just said they are out. Saw many folks just walking off with coffee. They need to care of their guests better.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your visit. We're glad you chose to stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that we fell short at breakfast. I have addressed this with my weekend hostess. We hope you'll give us another opportunity in the future to provide you with an excellent experience.

Reviewed 26 February 2017

I came up here in 2016 and the pool, service, rooms are really nice and very clean I will be back here. The staff are really nice, we visited the casino. The staff wasn't rude or anything. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2017

Dear Emily,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and that our staff was able to deliver great service during your stay. We welcome you back whenever you're in Murphy.

Reviewed 22 February 2017

We have stayed at this hotel several times previously, and have always had a pleasant stay. Our last trip here was an exception. The suite was very nice and the staff is pleasant. However, we encountered two problems. The hot water ran out, and it was necessary to take cold showers. Secondly, seven motorcycles were allowed to be parked right up at the front entrance to the hotel, under the covered registration area, and nearly directly beneath our room. We were awakened more than an hour before we intended to get up by at least five minutes of engines being warmed up and revving repeatedly. They should not have been allowed to park there, for obvious reasons.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
PRicharme, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2017

Dear MTNMAN56,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to the IHG brand and our hotel. I'm so sorry to hear that your visit wasn't as enjoyable due to the noise of the motorcycles out front. I have addressed this with staff in hopes to avoid this issue again in the future. We hope to see you again the next time you're in Murphy.

GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphy
5.0 km away
32.0 km away
Reid Ridge Lodge
Reid Ridge Lodge
#1 of 5 in Blue Ridge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy? Share your experiences!