“Even more awesome in the winter” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 21 Shopping in Nags Head
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest hang gliding school in the world! Located at Jockey's Ridge State Park, Kitty Hawk Kites has taught well over 300,000 people how to hang glide since the school was founded in 1974 by pioneer hang glider John Harris.
Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Even more awesome in the winter”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I've been hang gliding a couple of times in August at Jockey's Ridge and its been a lot of fun. The instructors are very knowledgeable and very patient.
But with a full class of 5 students to 1 instructor, you can only learn so much.
This January I went back and had 2 instructors to 1 student - me - and I learned so much more! Doing the 5 flights one after another means you can learn from your previous mistakes right away. By the end of the lesson I was beginning to think of the glider as a fun toy instead of a dangerous aircraft. Also, the wind is much better in the winter.
I will be back - off-season if I can!

Visited January 2012

Chesapeake, Virginia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great Fun!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The instructors were great! They really enjoy their jobs! Safe and fun. We will go back and do it again!

Visited April 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Excellent Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We were in for a friend's wedding and decided to give gliding a try. It was a great experience with a good set up (on sand, not very high jump point, lots of instruction and safety checks). They were one glider so we had to rotate some. The instructors were helpful and fun. Overall it was a great experience and we would love to do it again.

Visited September 2011
Bethany, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Most fun I've had in a long time!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

I had reservations to hang glide for 6 months...I get there and it's raining, but these boys were great about rescheduling us for later in the day, watching the weather on radar, and just in general great about getting out there with us. Very patient instructors with a fun sense of humor. And because our first session got rained out they didn't count the 2 runs we had already done. By far the best thing I did in North Carolina.

Visited September 2011
Washington DC
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The hand-gliding instructors were absolutely awesome with our son”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

My son is 7 years old an he loves to experience lots of different things. He has done parasailing, bungee jumping, free falls, etc. He was pretty excited when we told him we were going to get him hand gliding lessons. Kitty Hawk Kites Hand Gliding School offers a fantastic class for young children that is extremely safe, educational, and fun.

The whole thing lasted around 3.5 hours. It started with video education, then a quick check over an actual hand glider, and finally up to the dunes. While your young child does their 5 flights he or she will have 2 instructors that are constantly with them and holding on to tethers the whole time. Everyone we interacted with or instructed our son were unbelievable friendly, helpful, patient, and good teachers.

Hand-gliding lessons is a unique experience that is well worth considering if you are in the OBX. It also helps you to appreciate the heritage of the area in human flight. A+++

Visited August 2011