New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Annapolis, MD
“Surf Side was Great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My husband and I came to the Outer Banks for my birthday. We have been coming here and staying in rental homes for the past 20 years. Never stayed in a hotel and decided that just the two of us would travel here from Annapolis, Maryland for three nights. Being an ocean front hotel I had reservations because I have stayed in ocean front hotels in Ocean City, Maryland and have found them to be dirty, moldy, just not what you would expect from a high priced hotel, due to being oceanfront. We were surprised. First of all the price could not be beat. Surf Side was clean, well maintained, the staff was very nice, from the telephone call to make the reservation to our check out time. The room was great. We had a ocean front room on the second floor. The room was a nice size, two queen beds, sleep sofa, chair with an ottoman, a table for two, etc. As a added touch there were nice rocking chairs on the private balcony. We had great weather and each night what a wonderful experience to leave the screen door on the sliding door (yes, there was a screen sliding door) open and fall asleep listening to the ocean. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel, this location and this time of year. You will be seeing us again, we are hooked.

4 Thank Hollydeb
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
You have described every facet we work so hard to achieve so I am extremely grateful to you for writing this review to describe your experience while staying with us. Our housekeeping and maintenace staff work hard at making sure the issues that arise from being 100 yards from the ocean do not make bad impressions on our guests. Our staff deserves a great deal of credit for keeping the hotel in such awesome shape, I am extremely grateful to them for being team players. We strive to offer an exceptional hotel stay in an fantastic location but deliver it at a fair rate. We know we could charge more for our rooms compared to our competitors but we want our guests to see the value we present which will hopefully have them returning again and again. Thank you very much for the kind words. I am elated that you enjoyed your stay so much and we will look forward to your next visit.
Surf Side / Seaboard Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

This was my first time stay here. I found it here on Trip Advisor and very glad I did. There were 3 of us, me being the 3rd wheel. We stayed in one of their loft rooms on the poolside/ oceanview rooms. There was a king bed downstairs and a queen sized upstairs in the loft. There was a sofa, chair, microwave, fridge and big flat screen tv downstairs, no tv upstairs. We were there in mid-March which is usually still pretty cool but this has been a "warmer than normal" time so it was around upper 70's - 80 degrees. There was a floor fan up in the loft which was really needed since it was pretty warm up there. It would be really nice if there was a ceiling fan up there. We enjoyed the wine and crackers at 4:00 and breakfast which consisted of cereal, toast/bagels/waffles, instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, fruit, juice and coffee. The desk people were nice but for our second night we got 2 different prices from 2 different people, $20 difference. I would definitely stay here again. The reason I left 4* instead of 5* is I very seldom leave 5* unless everything is perfection and this place was close except for the loft being quite warm and the bed pillows. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CHold
Thank you for taking the time to review the Surf Side and for sharing your experience with others looking to stay with us. It is great to read reviews of guests that chose us due to our #1 ranking on Tripadvisor and then enjoy the experience they would expect due to the reviews. I appreciate your review and understand your concerns about the loft. We will work on improving the temperature in those rooms. I hope you will have another chance to stay with us in the future. Thanks again.
Powhatan, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at Surf Side for our 15th anniversary in March 2012. We have stayed at pretty much every hotel in Nags Head and this was our favorite. Very clean, great staff, nice breakfast selections and very important for us: quiet. We had an oceanfront suite and it was roomy and comfortable. Housekeeping was excellent. I can't think of anything negative to say about this hotel. We will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Our 4th floor oceanfront suite was fantastic. It had three balconies. One was HUGE! Loved it bein...
5 Thank Aimee R
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and making us your favorite in Nags Head. We are very appreciative of your business and for taking the time to review the Surf Side. It is wonderful to be the #1 rated hotel in Nags Head and it is even more rewarding when a guests has stayed with the others and decided we truly are the only choice for your hotel stay. Our amazing staff deserves the credit, we are lucky to have such an awesome team! We will look forward to your next visit.
Newport News, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

My wife and I stayed there March 14 and 15. 2012. I see why this hotel is rated number 1 in Nags Head. Our third floor main building oceanfront room was clean with an amazing view.The staff was wonderful due to a small emergency at home I had to reschedule our stay by a day. I called the hotel and they changed my reservation without any problem, they even called me before I left to see if I needed to make any other changes. The hotel was very clean the room was spotless and the view breath taking. The indoor hot tub and indoor heated pool was very relaxing and we spent the evenings there relaxing. There is a place to eat within walking distance of the hotel the food was great and the drinks were awesome. The breakfast in the morning was very nice with enough selections to please any family. I have found my place to stay in Nags Head and see no reason to stay any place else. The hotel is family owned and there is pride in ownership.Plus going in the off season you enjoy the amazing hotel with off season prices.

Room Tip: main building has 4 floors annex has 3 floors, stay as high up as possible for the best view both bu...
3 Thank DandDThomassen
We are extremely grateful for your kind words about the Surf Side. We strive to offer more than just your average hotel stay as our goal is to make the Surf Side your only choice when visiting the Outer Banks. It looks like we have met the goal of getting you to return so we promise to continue to always improve upon the experience while staying with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to having you as our guest again soon.
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

After driving by this little gem for years and reading the reviews on Tripadvisor.com, we finally had an opportunity to stay here. We only needed one night - I called the day of and they had several choices of rooms for us. We stayed in room 527 - ocean view King in the annex. If you book on line there is a 2 night minimum on the weekends, but since we were booking so close and they had vacancies, they were happy to offer us one night!

We were late (11:00 pm) checking in. They were actually closing up the lobby for the night when we got there. Our keys were in a little envelope on the door with our name on it. The desk clerk was nice enough to go over some info and let us know that there is property manager on site too if we had any emergencies or if anyone was too loud. They are real big on the quiet hours, which is nice. However the people in 528 were LOUD and the walls are not very thick. The room was VERY big, tall ceilings, huge king bed, flat screen tv, full size sofa, table and chairs, nice balcony. Lots of pillows available in the room and they were great pillows too! The bathroom was spotless. I also liked that there were several bars of soap, shampoos, face cleansers - not just one of each. Its the little things sometimes.

We were there when the time changed - spring forward! - and the room clock automatically updated. Also there were plenty of coffee and plastic drinking cups in the room. Again, little things that make the difference. And the view from our room...we could see the ocean and the sound from our balcony. Very nice!

When we checked out, they were upset that we did not call and report the loud people. So nice! We did not have breakfast - we went to Sam and Omie's and we missed the wine reception so I can't report on those.

We will definitely stay here again. What a find!

Room Tip: I hear the ocean front rooms are quieter. But if you are looking for a cheaper room with a view, eve...
2 Thank Nicksboo
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
It is wonderful to recieve another great review of the Surf Side and to know that we lived up to yours and my expectations. Thank you for choosing to stay with us while visiting the Outer banks and for taking the time to write a thorough review for potential guests to read about the Surf Side. We will look forward to having you as our guest again.
Front Royal, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Hi this is our second stay at Surf Side,first time we had our kids and husbands this time it was my sister and myself, we enjoyed a 2 night stay.We stayed in a ocean front room which was very clean and had lots of room and a great balcony.The staff was friendly,the breakfast buffet was wonderful and as always the wine and crackers were very much appreciated and enjoyed.We asked at the front desk if they could recommend a really nice place to eat and it was recommeded that we try Basnight’s Lone Cedar Cafe and it was amazing.I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again. We work hard to make the first stay with us an experience that will have you wanting to stay with us again and again so it is great to hear that you are back. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel again.
Altoona, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I visited this hotel last fall (2010); it was very well maintained and had a great location. The views from the balcony were beautiful. They had breakfast every morning, which was the perfect start to a day on the beach. The rooms are a little older, but they are very clean and comfortable. Overall, I would recommend this to anyone visiting the Outer Banks!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very appreciative of your continued business and for taking the time to share your thoughts about the Surf Side. We focus on delivering a hotel experience that will have our guests returning again and again so it is rewarding to know that you have chosen the Surf side as your place to stay when visiting the Outer Banks.
Cheers
22.4 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
12.3 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews
9.8 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,262 reviews

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!