New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Second year in a row here, love the hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Islander Inn

Islander Inn
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Second year in a row here, love the hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

This was our second year in a row to Ocean Isle Beach and our second stay at The Islander Inn. Rooms are clean and beautiful overlooking the beach and ocean. We booked two rooms adjacent as we had family traveling with us. Beds could be more comfortable, a little hard for my taste, but overall very nice. Breakfast was the usual continental fare, nothing special, but the woman running the dining room was great - friendly and talkative. The outdoor pool was wonderful and the Tiki Bar - awesome! Our bartender, Monica, was there two days and suggested drinks we might like, new things we had not had before, wonderful concoctions. She was fantastic! Our adult kids used the indoor pool and hot tub and gave them a big thumbs-up. Only problem we had was that the wireless internet went out after our first day there and we could not use our laptops or tablets unless we were in the hotel lobby or breakfast room. This occurred last year when we stayed there as well. They have a nice gazebo overlooking the ocean and it is just a short walk down the steps to the sand. Love this place!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in buildings 3-7, 1 and 2 overlook the pool and you can't see the beach very well.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan B
MarnieWilliamson, Front Office Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your time at the Islander Inn and are eagerly awaiting your next visit! We sincerely value repeat customers such as yourself and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our behalf. Your kind words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. Again, we look forward to seeing you very soon!
Marnie Williamson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

First off let me say that the staff (Carla) was just great when we checked in. We had planned to travel with our pets, and had booked a pet friendly room. We however were unable to travel with them and upon letting Carla know at check in , she quickly moved us to another room with no waiting. Our check in was smooth and quick and our oceanfront room had a great view. We unpacked quickly and hit the beach before sundown..spent an hour or two walking the beach and enjoying the ocean. When we went to bed that night we noticed that the mattress was totally worn out on our bed. It was lumpy and uncomfortable, the room felt damp, and for lack of a better word smelled like "pee". We tried turning the heat on low to see if that would help while we were out the next day but that seemed to make it worse. The second day we were out we turned on the air conditioning and still dampness and smell when we returned. We only stayed 2 nights and were out during the days. Had we stayed any longer I would have asked to be moved to another room. The experience was so unpleasant that we got up at 6 am our last day, packed and left, because we were so uncomfortable. I have stayed at many ocean front rooms and never had one that was this damp and smelly. The grounds are well maintained, and you are just a few feet from the ocean. The breakfast was like any other continental breakfast , cereal, waffles, yogurt, bagels. We enjoyed the city of Ocean Isle, it was picaresque and well landscaped, we were there a little early in the year for some of the outdoor attractions, but enjoyed it none the less. Unfortunately I don't think we would choose to stay at this inn again. It may be that we just got a bad room, but I don't think I would chance it for another stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ncsoapmaker
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Though we are delighted that you took notice of our wonderful staff and the amazing ocean view, we sincerely regret that your experience at our Inn was not to your satisfaction. We take feedback very seriously and will investigate your report and address any issues we find. I can assure you that your experience is not typical at our hotel. We truly hope you will consider giving us a second chance on a future visit to Ocean Isle Beach!
Waxhaw, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

It was very nice! Was just what we were looking for! The staff was very nice. We will be going back! We arrived on a Sunday Morning. There seemed to be a church services going on right down the beach. I only hope that it was a regular thing and nice to know for next time we go.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle H
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. We do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit to beautiful Ocean Isle Beach!
Piedmont of NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

2nd trip to Ocean Isle and have stayed at the Islander Inn both times. We ABSOLUTELY love it!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elygirl777
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I want to begin by complimenting Starla and Jessica on their outstanding customer service during a trip that my sister and I took last week. We had booked our room a few weeks before coming to celebrate her graduating, the end of another semester for me, and the start of summer vacation. Upon making the reservation, we weren't planning on bringing my sister's dog, Cali, so we booked a regular room. When we arrived (and early at that), however, we had decided to bring her along and completely forgot to see if they had pet rooms available! Instead of handling our situation like it was an inconvenience, Starla and Jessica were completely accommodating and were even happy to show us pictures of their own pets! Not only did they help us check in early into a pet-friendly room and switch our reservation around, they were more than happy to help us with a late check-out which gave us the opportunity to enjoy more time on the beach. If you are thinking about staying on Ocean Isle Beach, the Islander Inn is definitely where you need to go! The staff is super friendly and will go out of their way to make sure that you have a great experience and will make you want to stay there over and over again! (PS- don't forget to get that bowl of dog treats!)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela C
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Floyd, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Islander Inn last week. My family gave me an early Mother's Day gift, a trip all by myself!! I called several days before coming and was able to book an oceanfront king room. No problem with check-in. The room was on the second (top) floor and was clean and spacious. It had a small refrigerator and a microwave. The balcony was wonderful, with 2 chairs and a small table. All staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was fine, with bagels and waffles and good coffee. The outdoor pool looked good but was still cold. The beach is steps from the inn and is wide and clean.
For the price, I thought it was a fantastic value and I will certainly be back. I might even bring my family with me next time : )

Room Tip: Oceanfront, on the top floor, if possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank annabellesma
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

If you are looking to reserve a block of rooms, save yourself the aggravation and book elsewhere. You can find better accommodations with more professional staff anywhere else for the same price or better. The Islander staff didn't book my block of rooms correctly when I called a month in advance to reserve the block. Carla is the only staff member who handles block scheduling. When the rest of my block of rooms was released prematurely without warning, I learned my reservation was not booked properly. After going around in many frustrating circles with Carla, who was completely unapologetic, unwilling to help rectify the situation, and would not give me a straight answer as to how the problem occurred, I asked for a manager. Marnie, the manager, was not available. I asked for the corporate phone number. Carla actually refused to give it to me. She was even sarcastic to me -- I am still astonished by how rudely I was treated. Then after we went around in more circles, she hung up on me! I was in tears after I got off the phone with her -- with a week to go before my wedding. These are the excuses I was given by Carla for the premature release of my block of rooms, none of which I was advised during my initial call to reserve the block:

1.) It is up to management's discretion to release a block of rooms at any point
2. A block of rooms automatically releases after 45 days
3. Since I wasn't having my wedding at the Islander, Carla didn't actually have to book a block of rooms for me at all. Apparently they only block for weddings they are doing and family reunions held there. Which I was not told prior to booking my block of rooms.

Even though I had given my phone number for a manager to contact me back, I never got a call from Marnie or anyone else in management. Not a surprise. I literally had to Google the Islander's corporate office and call management myself. I was told by corporate that I should have received a room agreement when I booked the block -- never got it. Carla never even mentioned such a thing. At least I received an apology from corporate and some form of accountability, but the damage had already been done. There I am, in tears, forcing my guests to make alternate accommodations one week before their arrival in town. As a customer service supervisor, I can tell when the service I'm receiving is the bare minimum or less. My experience at the Islander was definitely less than bare minimum. No compensation whatsoever for all of my stress and inconvenience. I felt like they could care less about me as a customer and the thousands of dollars worth of guests I was bringing with me.

Oh, and my experience with the place itself -- when we checked in, right there in the lobby one of the housekeeping staff was having a discussion with her manager about mistreatment. Not such a resort-style ambiance after all. Also, the Soundfront rooms give you a view of the road, not the Sound. You would need your binoculars to get a good view of the Sound from the Islander. For the price, you can definitely find better accommodations and more professional staff anywhere else. In retrospect, I wish I had never, ever tried booking a reservation at the Islander Inn. I feel literally traumatized after such a terrible experience marred what was supposed to be a very special trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
25.3 km away
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 54 in North Myrtle Beach
11.7 km away
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Islander Inn? Share your experiences!