“Great Service, good food!”

The Pickle Jar Cafe & Catering
Ranked #25 of 48 Restaurants in Pittsboro
Price range: US$10 - US$26
Reviewed June 18, 2018

The service was fast and friendly, and the food was very good. I'd highly suggest the Fried Pickle appitizer...you kind of have to given the namesake, right? Overall, worth the stop!

1  Thank MBFNCNative
Mario R, Owner at The Pickle Jar Cafe & Catering, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2018

We know Pickles lol. Thank you so much for stopping and the nice review.

Reviewed May 30, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful to have a reasonably priced restaurant in Pittsboro! Food was delicious. Menu has nice selection. Wait staff were friendly and attentive. I think I found my new favorite restaurant in Pittsboro.

Thank you for the kind words we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

The Pickle Jar just opened up in Pittsboro NC . Its in the Chatham Market complex . What a treat . I had the Philly cheese . I know your thinking oh no just the philly. Delicious its made with filet ! Cheezy goodness on a soft sub roll . My fiancee had a ploblano burger .Both were very tasty . Mckenzie was our server and took very good care of us .

1  Thank CFI1985
Reviewed February 7, 2018

The reviews of The Pickle Jar are terrific, and the photos of the food look fantastic. Consequently, we have been eager to try the restaurant. Perhaps we caught them on a bad day (a Wednesday), but our experience wasn’t pleasant. We were the only folks in the place when we arrived about noon. We had a nice conversation with the owner, and the server was friendly and chatty. We ordered 2 specials, a London Broil sandwich ($10), and tortellini pasta with shrimp and bacon ($12). About the time we ordered, a few take-out orders were picked up, and a couple of singles had been seated. After about 15 minutes (I admit I didn’t have a stopwatch running) it looked like our food was on the way—a sandwich was in the window, and there weren’t any folks in the restaurant that had ordered before us. Then, another sandwich appeared in the window ​and looking at the orders, the server said something like, “There’s something wrong here.” She un-plated and boxed one sandwich for takeout​t, and pushed the other, which turned out to be my sandwich, to the side of the window. Another approximate 15 minutes went by, and I finally got the attention of the server and explained we had been waiting on our food for about 30 minutes. Without a word, the server went to the kitchen window and said, “A table is getting angry their food isn’t ready.” Another 10 minutes or so went by, and my now-cold and very dry sandwich and the pasta arrived. A few minutes passed, and the server returned with our check and said, “We didn’t charge you for the sandwich,” which was a nice thing to do since we’d been waiting for lunch in a nearly empty restaurant easily over 30 minutes. While the gesture was nice, the server’s attitude wasn’t. She was clearly put out, and not at all apologetic. The friendliness was gone, and we weren’t spoken to again (although our water glasses were refilled). When I approached the owner at the register, his attitude seemed to have changed, too. He saw I was ready to pay, and he just pointed to the other end of the counter where the server was standing. I mentioned to the owner that my sandwich had been comped, but that the gesture came with an attitude I didn’t appreciate; I paid for both meals.

I know problems can occur in every business. We were a bit thrown off schedule by the long wait for lunch, but that wasn’t what caused our experience at the Pickle Jar to be disappointing. The issue was the way the staff handled the problem—comping my meal was a nice gesture, but the demeanor of the staff around the gesture was really off-putting.

The Pickle Jar is moving to Pittsboro. I wish them well, but unless our “problem” was handled atypically, they are going to have to up their game to be competitive in that market.

1  Thank MichaelStano
Reviewed January 2, 2018 via mobile

We found this listing on TA and there was no one at the restaurant and no signs explaining why they were not open.