“Not impressed ”

The Pit Authentic Barbecue
Reserve with OpenTable
The Pit Authentic Barbecue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 1,518 Restaurants in Raleigh
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Dawson Street
Transit: The R-line stops right in front of the restaurant!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Heard a lot of good things about this place so took the family and guests there tonight for early dinner. Overall not impressed. My chopped and pulled BBQ plate was good, but nothing I would consider special or deserving of the praise I had read. My wife got brisket and it was dry and not very flavorful. She didn’t eat it all as she enjoyed her sides more than the brisket.
For the price we paid and for all the glowing reviews I had read, I expected to have really great barbecue. We didn’t. So I rated this 3 stars. Good but not as great as expected. I think they are living off their past reviews.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,459)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Wonderful food and service. Some nice craft beers and a full bar. Clean and bright with a nice atmosphere. This is my second trip here and I have not been disappointed. Party of six with all different entrees and all were outstanding to excellent. The BBQ was some of the best we have ever had. The parking can be difficult and this is the only drawback that I encountered. I will return again and would not hesitate to recommend.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The area around this place is urban to say the least and weird parking restrictions are all around it ... like you can’t park after 10pm in most places. That said, the food is served fast and well cook except the brisket was dry ! Expect about $25 a head for dinner without drinks / wine / dessert !

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Glad we weren’t eating there. Although the food looked great and the drink menu was plentiful, the waitress just coming on was terrible! Not friendly, didn’t refill drinks, and other than giving us the bill, which was incorrect the 1st time, she didn’t even speak to us! I was hoping for more.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We managed to get in within 40 minutes of them closing and they were still friendly. They're BBQ might be one of the best I've had. Brisket was a great combination of fat and meat, their fried chicken had great seasoning (although a large part of the meat was very dry, possibly cause we went at the end of the day), fried mac and cheese was great, as was their brunswick stew and hush puppies. Their collard greens tasted good but the stalks were very stringy, more than I've had anywhere else. Price was much more than other BBQ that I've had in the area but it was delicious.