“Nice Track, Great Value”
Review of Wil-Mar Golf Club

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wil-Mar Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The spacious front nine and tree-lined back nine offer Bentgrass greens and lush Bermuda fairways, making this 18-hole course a challenge to golfers at all levels.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Enjoyed the 18 holes today at Wil-Mar. Pro Shop Staff were friendly, helpful and provided information on the course. The starter was a splendid fellow who was genuinely pleasant and matched us up with a great 3rd. We all enjoyed Wil-Mar; its not long, even from the Blue Tees (6100+ (?)) but the bunkers were well positioned and in great shape. Greens were varied, some postage stamps and some larger real estate appropriate to the length of the hole and the par. They were fast and smooth, and a good test. We played cart path only today because of heavy recent rains, and we were able to play in 4 hours on a Sunday morning on a round that started at 10a. That pace of play, fast considering cart path only, was very fast based on my experience. We will go back!

1  Thank kielts

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I have played Wilmar many times over the past 10 years. Being from near Raleigh, the folks at the club keep the prices reasonable to attract more golfers. I have always felt at home there and the staff works hard to make everyone feel that way. At one point the club was rumored to be up for sale. During that time some adjustments were needed in all areas of the course. I have watched the staff struggle with a tough economy to return the course to its prime state. They have been doing a very good job and the improvements have shown. They have improved their fairways in several areas of which most notable is trimming back numerous years of tree growth. A few years ago some of the holes looked like trying to shoot through tunnels. They have fixed that and opened the fairways to more shots. They have been keeping their greens up and in good shape. Some courses over the summer lost their greens. This improvement at Wilmar wasdefinitely noticable. I find my interest to play at Wilmar increasing as they keep improving. Their LPGA Golf Pro, Fran Wilkerson, is one of the best golf teachers in this area. That comes from several friends of mine who have had her instruction and the comments of other area Golf Pros I know. I may need her help with my wedges. This course is one you should add to your list in 2013 if you are in the Raleigh area. They're good people, working hard to make a good course great again (and it shows), and you will have an enjoyable round of golf there.

2  Thank Dennis S
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We played here 4 years ago. What a change. The greens were great this time as well as the fare ways. It looked like they were working on the 9th hole though. With all the rain Raleigh has had, it sure helped this golf club green up. Very friendly staff and the price was fine. putting green nice also
I hope it continues to look this well. we will play there again for sure.

1  Thank tk
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This course suffers from lack of investment, probably because of lack of play. Too many good choices for golf in Raleigh for this older track to attract much more than the die hards.