“Fun but Challenging Golf Course”
Review of Wil-Mar Golf Club

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wil-Mar Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: The spacious front nine and tree-lined back nine offer Bentgrass greens and lush Bermuda fairways, making this 18-hole course a challenge to golfers at all levels.
Reviewed 19 September 2016

This course has a lot of character to it that you would not expect based on the price. Our group played there last week and we were impressed with overall quality of the course given the extreme heat we have had this summer. The greens are some strain of dwarf bermuda which takes the heat very well so they are in excellent shape. There are very few houses associated with the course which gives it a wide open look, but plenty of obstacles (trees, water, etc) to make it challenging for most levels of golfers.

Reviewed 10 September 2015

This is a family owned course and well run. The staff were friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied. I would rate this course as medium in terms of difficulty.

Reviewed 3 May 2015

They work hard to keep the course in shape. It's not fabulous, but it's a great course to hone your game. They have a few easy-over or by-the-water holes and some sand but not enough to ruin your game with stress. Usually a 90-degree cart rule. Many people walk the course. It's not hilly but has some angles that will force accurate shots to keep in line with the greens.

Nice grill and they have breakfast specials. Beer and sodas.

Monday is the Ladies League. Shotgun usually on about 6 holes. So, there are other golfers on the course. They tee off between 8:30 and 9am.

Alternating Tuesdays (I think) the Raleigh Fun Golfers mixed league plays. Call ahead to see if they are playing. Shotgun likely using all 18 holes.

They have a small driving range and an area you can practice sand trap shots; and two practice putting greens. You can reserve a T-time. Not sure how it works for walk ons. But, I suspect they can fit you in or pair you up.

Been playing there about 6 years.

1  Thank wordmobile
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Enjoyed the 18 holes today at Wil-Mar. Pro Shop Staff were friendly, helpful and provided information on the course. The starter was a splendid fellow who was genuinely pleasant and matched us up with a great 3rd. We all enjoyed Wil-Mar; its not long, even from the Blue Tees (6100+ (?)) but the bunkers were well positioned and in great shape. Greens were varied, some postage stamps and some larger real estate appropriate to the length of the hole and the par. They were fast and smooth, and a good test. We played cart path only today because of heavy recent rains, and we were able to play in 4 hours on a Sunday morning on a round that started at 10a. That pace of play, fast considering cart path only, was very fast based on my experience. We will go back!

1  Thank kielts
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I have played Wilmar many times over the past 10 years. Being from near Raleigh, the folks at the club keep the prices reasonable to attract more golfers. I have always felt at home there and the staff works hard to make everyone feel that way. At one point the club was rumored to be up for sale. During that time some adjustments were needed in all areas of the course. I have watched the staff struggle with a tough economy to return the course to its prime state. They have been doing a very good job and the improvements have shown. They have improved their fairways in several areas of which most notable is trimming back numerous years of tree growth. A few years ago some of the holes looked like trying to shoot through tunnels. They have fixed that and opened the fairways to more shots. They have been keeping their greens up and in good shape. Some courses over the summer lost their greens. This improvement at Wilmar wasdefinitely noticable. I find my interest to play at Wilmar increasing as they keep improving. Their LPGA Golf Pro, Fran Wilkerson, is one of the best golf teachers in this area. That comes from several friends of mine who have had her instruction and the comments of other area Golf Pros I know. I may need her help with my wedges. This course is one you should add to your list in 2013 if you are in the Raleigh area. They're good people, working hard to make a good course great again (and it shows), and you will have an enjoyable round of golf there.

2  Thank Dennis S

Been to Wil-Mar Golf Club? Share your experiences!