All reviews bell tower chef greg great location bliss products the mexican restaurant modern vibe cameron village hillsborough street hotel bar ncsu campus corner room hotel guests directly across the street room key parking deck close to downtown highly recommend this hotel
Reviewed October 29, 2018

I travel a lot and stay in all different sorts of hotels. However, this was my first experience with Aloft. I was quite excited to stay at a "hip" hotel. However, I was let down by this hotel from the moment I walked in the door.

Just finding the front door is difficult. And then you walk in to an empty lobby and have to go up to the second floor even to check in.

The greeting was not at all friendly. It wasn't unfriendly, but that of a bored college student who'd rather be studying. I got no information about the hotel. I asked a few questions, but it was so hard to get any information that I gave up. I came back 10 minutes later and was greeted with, "Are you checking in?" Uh - I was just here 10 minutes ago.

My return trip was to change rooms. There is a loud buzzing in the hallways from a vent. My room was right across from such a vent and anyway didn't look so great, so I went back and got it changed. That was no trouble, which is appreciated. What was odd is that there was no question about why I was changing. I wasn't sure if they get such requests all the time or just didn't care. In any case, I would recommend staying away from rooms towards the middle of the hallway. I stayed in 703 and that was fine in terms of noise.

The rooms themselves are so gray and dull. And it was just beat up and worn. I saw two rooms, and they were both equally beat up. The furniture is nicked and scratched. Everything just has an old and sad feeling. Even the hair dryer looks like it's been in use for a decade or longer. The hip part is that you get a free copy of Wired magazine in your room, the closet has curtains instead of doors, and there are plugs everywhere including by each bedside. The room was much smaller than I expected. There is desk with a chair but otherwise no place to sit except for the bed. The TV is just basic cable; no Netflix or HBO Go like I've come to expect in hotels. The AC/Heater is pretty old school and extremely loud. It turns on and off all night long, but you have to turn it on lest you roast. The room wasn't exactly dirty, but it also wasn't especially clean. Like, it's very easy to find dust --- just check the headboard! There is no information about the hotel or the area in the room. To get that, you have to go back down and quiz the bored clerk. Indeed, there is a small gym and a pool. If there is anything else, I will never know!!

I agree with the other reviews that the pillows are abysmal. Usually you have a few different types of pillows on the bed so that you can switch to one that suits your style. But I had four very very thin pillows with no support at all.

Probably the worst part of my stay is that they didn't clean my room. Moreover, when I called to report this fact, I was quizzed to see if I had let the do-not-disturb tag on my door. First, it's pretty rude to implicitly accuse me of being the problem. Second, whenever I've done that at other hotels, I always get a voice message telling me that they didn't clean my room because my do-not-disturb tag was on my door. They just forgot to clean my room. I got a not-really-an-apology and an offer to deliver clean towels, which they did within 20 minutes. Having a clean room each day is a basic expectation for a hotel. I would expect some sort of remediation (free drink at bar or discount on the hotel rate), but nothing was offered.

I woudn't recommend this hotel. I'm really flabbergasted by my experience there.

Room tip: Even numbers have a view of the bell tower.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
PhillipC1458, Manager at Aloft Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2018

Flabbergasted is right, I am alarmed to see our hotel through your perspective. I can certainly see that we have missed your expectations and for that I apologize. I have taken note of your observations and I am making good use of them. As there are too many things to address here, I would like for you to reach out to me directly at pcheeseman@aloftraleigh.com so that I may gain more knowledge of your stay and find a way to make it right.

Reviewed October 27, 2018

My son was looking at NC State as a college option. My husband is Marriot Gold Elite and I am Platinum Elite. The check-in process was confusing. Registration is on the second floor. Parking is on the first floor. You can’t get into the garage with out your room key.
Once at the registration, the check-in process was pretty smooth. We got a corner room on the 4th floor. The room is small, but nice. It reminds me of European hotel rooms, small, but efficient.
The AC/heater is placed directly across from the bed. The device did not seem to work right as it would come on and off about every 30 seconds. This was on auto mode. Needless to say, the air would hit you directly on the bed. The bed sheets were of poor quality or very worn. You could see through the sheets. The pillows were flat, flat, flat. I went to pull out the ironing board and there was water on the closet floor. The location is great if visiting NC State. The coffee shop on the lower level of the building is fabulous.
I most likely would not stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Mark Z, General Manager at Aloft Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2018

Thanks for sharing your comments in regard to your recent stay. First off, thanks to both you and your husband for your loyalty to Marriott, we truly appreciate it. I am truly sorry we didn't meet your expectations. In regards to our parking garage, the reason for the room card key access is to ensure only hotel guests have the ability to park in the garage. Without the security gate, the parking area would be full all the time with non-hotel guests.
I will certainly get with our maintenance department and housekeeping to investigate the situations you describe. It is certainly our intent to provide every guest with an exceptional experience, again, I apologize we didn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed October 11, 2018

This is a great location if you enjoy being in the heart of a university. It's right across the street from NC State's clock tower. If you enjoy walking, there is lots of safe places to walk. Lots of little shops and place to eat close by. The rooms were clean, modern, and very comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Mark Z, General Manager at Aloft Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the awesome review!
We always enjoy hearing from our guests!
Looking forward to welcoming you back real soon

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

If you need to stay near NC State University, the hotel is a great location. As far as the rooms go, they are the right size for one or two people. The rooms were fairly clean. However, the air conditioning unit in my room was extremely loud every time it cut on. Also the bedding is just OK. The pillows are extremely thin and so was the comforter. Again a decent hotel, but not best.

Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Atthepool
PhillipC1458, Manager at Aloft Raleigh, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, we take comments like this seriously, and we would love it if you could share a little more information. We are assessing the state of the pillows, but we would like to know your room number so that we may address the AC issue for future guests. if you could reach out to pcheeseman@aloftraleigh.com I would be happy to chat with you furher.

Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel since it opened a few years ago. Always clean, prompt friendly staff. Location is perfect central to the anywhere in Raleigh. Bar and patio area very nice and relaxing. Couple good restaurants below the hotel.

Trip type: Travelled on business

Thank you for the 5 rated review! We strive to provide a consistently clean and friendly experience for any guests staying in our hotel. I am very pleased that you have found us to be your go to spot in Raleigh and we look forward to hosting you again!