“Excellent service”
Review of The Thatch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Croyde
The Thatch
Ranked #5 of 21 Croyde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2011

In spite of an initial mix up regarding rooms, which meant we had to stay just next door, the staff more than made up for things with their helpfulness and generosity. Everyone was really friendly and did all they could to make our stay as pleasant as possible.
We stayed in an en suite twin room (No. 14), which was decorated and equipped to a very high standard. The beds were really comfortable and everything was exactly as we could have hoped - good shower, hairdryer, TV, towels and bedding, tea making facilities and decor.
The breakfast was very good and was served until 11am.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Miss001
There are newer reviews for The Thatch

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Just come back from weekend at Croyde stayed at The Thatch room 24 of The Priory , a family room - large double with a small bunk room . The room was very clean with large flat screen tv, tea and coffee facilities. Modern ensuite shower room. Standard traditional breakfast served in The Thatch Pub. We are regular visitors to Croyde usually self catering so a weekend with no cooking etc was a bonus.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Nettie51
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Had to find accommodation for my playing partner and me for the annual volleyball tournament in Croyde, which happens to be colocated with the Gold Coast Festival. First place I came across with any vacancies was the Thatch, which had only a double room left. Reservation and check-in was efficient.
Room had own entrance and was reasonably large, clean and uncluttered, and with good quality units - everything either new or old quality furniture that had been well maintained. Duvet to share and double bed not that big, so I chose to sleep on an air mattress I'd brought along for this eventuality. In other words, can't comment on quality of bed but room really adequately sized. Room was right next to the Billy Budds' beer garden, and above some utility room for that bar. You could hear you were not alone in the world, but I didn't find it noisy in the room that seemed to be reasonably well sound proof (e.g. double glazed windows).
Breakfast was good, but with a few tell-tale signs of being prepared in a pub kitchen rather than home cooked. All the standard things: cereals, coffee, several varieties of juice, fry-up, and toast with jam. And once again friendly and efficient service. Location is perfect, right in the center of Croyde at the top of a path leading to the beach. We didn't have any problems parking in their lot, but I can imagine that it can be a bit more of a squeeze at busy times - my guess is that there is only room for about 15 cars. All told, quite happy with my stay at the Thatch, but it's not the cheapest place I've ever stayed (not ridiculously expensive either, B&Bs in Croyde generally seems to be at the pricier end of the scale).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lyngsoe
Reviewed 7 December 2010

No it doesnt need a new carpet, and NO the prices are good for food. The Thatch is iconic and has been visited by many famous people including Robbie Williams.

We go every year and try and stay in the Thatch because it has just a great atmosphere and takes you somewhere different. It has a 'Hard Rock Cafe / Down the Local' feel about it. Lovely deep bars with live bands and loads of Chelsea-set-come-surfer wannabys all pretending theyve caught the biggest wave that day.

The rooms are great and if youre lucky, like we were you get a view over the front and can catch the atmosphere even when you are kipping.

The food is great, and I love the morning Fry Ups that keep you going all day long chap.

The only problem is there is nowhere to put/wash the wetsuits - so we just left ours on the bonnet of the car to dry out.

The Thatch is deffo 5 star quality and I would recommend to anyone.

Staff are magic - and work far to hard.

Love you Thatch

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J4mesbon
Reviewed 6 November 2010

I love The Thatch. It is not 5 star luxury but it isn't meant to be. I travel down to Croyde 20-25x per year to surf. I stay mainly at The Thatch in the bunk bed room. I love it!!!

Food is great and atmosphere even better. I have been staying here for 6.5 years and it's always been great.

Staff do change alot which is a little annoying because you do get recognised and this makes you feel part of the scene in Croyde. In fact I've never been anywhere where the staff turn over is so bad.

I was unhappy about the old box T.V's they used to have in the rooms and once stayed when the remote was missing. I complained and then stayed three weeks later to find a nice flat screen t.v. That is great customer care.

The only criitism I would say is how much they vary the room rates throughout the year, charging way too much in the summer, not that I surf much then because of very few good days.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We have been coming to Croyde for the past 4 years, one of our party for 10yrs. The Thatch is the first place we want to be. The staff are excellent, the food is plentiful, the atmosphere is exceptional, for a small village you are never made to feel unwelcome in The Thatch. When entertainment is on it's the place to be.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We stayed at Billy Budds over the May Bank Holiday as we booked late and this was all that was left. We were in Room 12 (double) which was OK (if a little small) but I don’t think we could have managed more than one night to be honest. There was no shower and you can pretty much hear everything from the pub below so don’t come here for peace and quiet! I seem to recall the music stopping at around midnight on the Sunday. Parking was a bit of a lottery as you battle it out with the pub goers but I imagine out of season it would be a lot easier. We only had breakfast, which was nice and plentiful, and they were able to serve this earlier than advertised which was appreciated as my partner had an early horse ride booked out of town. Staff were friendly and helpful. Fine for a night and a base to explore Croyde but not one for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Croyde
1.3 km away
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
0.7 km away
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to The Thatch? Share your experiences!