See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A group of friends and I spent a weekend here to enjoy the surfing in the area last year on the may bank holiday (not july as stated in the date), the location was perfect and the cleanliness of the site was verry good.

Unfortunately this was over shadowed by the awfull attitude of the owner of the site, who left a sum what bitter taste in all of out mouths.

we were made to pay a 'behaviour bond' of £180 betwene the 6 of us that we had not been previously aware of, an told that if it was not payed we were "welcome to leave the camp immediately" allthough we did get this money back it was not the point, nobody should have to pay £180 without prior agnolegement!

On one ocation our tent pegs had crossed the line of our pitch, instead of making us aware of this, the owner simpley removed them and only gave them back when asked about the issue, and stated that "it must not happen again, you have your allocated pithch and that is it!"

Even the summer staff at the site would look emabarised and apologise for the owners actions.

All in all I certanly will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank Marcsmn
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I have been staying on the Mitchum's campsites for 10 years now, we visit at least once every year for a week or a weekend.

We are a mid-30s couple and have been surfing for 10 years. Our priorities when we go surfing are to be able to walk to the sea (15 min from the village campsite, 30 seconds from the beach campsite), to get a good nights sleep so we can surf again the next day, for clean facilities with HOT showers, and to be near some good pubs / places to eat and hang out. Mitchums is perfect for us in all these respects. And Croyde is a beautiful, picturesque village to stay in with almost consistently good surf.

This is the perfect campsite for surfers and couples who want some peace and quiet when they come back to the site, especially at night. It's not a party campsite – there are plenty of other options in the area if you're a bigger group wanting that on the site rather than in the pub.

We've known the team (Guy & Claire) for 10 years now and wouldn't stay elsewhere in Croyde because they have always looked after us so well!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen C
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at Mitchum's last year with my friend and have just rebooked for this year which is what prompted me to write this review.Having read some of the previous reviews i thought some were a bit unfair and i can only say that my stay was so much fun, the staff were friendly and very helpful in getting my tent pitched as i hadnt actually used one before and being 2 girls used our damsel in distress face and 2 of the staff came to our rescue, they didnt have to help.We had a pretty good pitch at the beach site and had a fab view, at night you could lye in your tent and hear the waves,bliss! We had a go at surfing which was only a few minutes walk away and visited the Thatch, lovely pub with friendly staff and great food .We stayed and Mitchums for 3 nights and and met the infamous Guy who some have called a tyrant but we only found him to be a real character and right charmer.Yes Mitchums have some strict rules but if you look on there website as i did you would know what to expect.The toilets and showers were clean which was a relief and as am bit of a clean freak and the campsite on a whole was very well maintained.Looking forward to going back rain or shine!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sprite_12
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been staying at mitchums meadow nearly every summer ever since I was 14, so nearly half my life. I have never had a bad experience of either the camp site facilities or the saff who run it. In fact Guy (the owner) is a lovely man who deals with all customers fairly and keeps other guests feelings in mind particularly if people are making excessive noise late at night so that everyone around can still have a good stay. Guys daughter Faye is a wonderful manager who run the site with the sensitivity and common sense, she was very helpful and friendly to my group..

Both sites are well situated, close to the village and the beach, my personal favourite would be mitchums meadow purely because you can hear the surf from your tent at night and see it as soon as you wake up. All the facilities are cleaned regularly and maintained to a high standard which is a credit to the staff because they get a lot of use.

I have read some of the other reviews and most are accurate apart from those few negative ones. However as someone who has spent a lot of time there I can probably describe the type of people that wrote them without ever having seen them. Cocky, arrogant city folk who aren't used to being told to abide by rules for the common interest of others staying there. Believe me these are not the type of people that you want to camp next to. So I'm glad they say they will go elsewhere.

If you are looking for a friendly holiday venue, run by people who believe that respect for ones neighbours isn't to much to ask then Mitchums is the place for you. If you want to come back really drunk, shouting and being agro then this isn't the place to book.

Hope this helps, enjoy you stay. Vince

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vince H
Reviewed September 11, 2012

As a group of 6 young professionals my friends and I booked into the beach site, where we were told that the beach site wasn't going to be open in August this year. No apology was offered, just the email explaining the situation. Upon arrival at 9pm on a Friday night we were requested to pay a £30 cash "behaviour bond", which wasn't mentioned on the website or in the email. We were also told that we couldn't have a tent that was big enough to stand in, also omitted from the website. Our tent was big enough to stand in but fit in the site nicely so the staff mentioned nothing.
Our biggest concern, being down in the area to surf (as were most people on the campsite) we were kept awake by a group of noisy drunk students, screaming, laughing at the top of their voices and vomiting in the hedge until gone 1am. When we questioned the staff about their late night noise policy they said that 12.30am was when their "lights-out" policy kicked in. However, we found that 12.30am was far too late and none of their staff seemed willing to enforce any of their policies regarding their behaviour bond. However the facilities offered were kept in good condition, but the SS-like over-bearing attitude of the staff made it an uncomfortable place to stay. We certainly won't be staying there again and recommend any surfing groups look elsewhere for their trips.

Room Tip: Upper field for small cars/solo tents/ 2 or 3 people max, this is closer to the main hut so more likely to get peace and quiet here compared to the lower field for groups of noisy campers where those supposedly enforcing the "behaviour bond" quiet policy don't seem to venture.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends