“A Delightful Evening of Sushi and Sashimi”

Red Bowl Asian Bistro
Ranked #18 of 112 Restaurants in Southern Pines
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed April 11, 2016

Sometimes its hard to judge, from the different reviews, how a restaurant REALLY will perform on the night you are there. I see where "Mike M" was unimpressed and compared the Red Bowl to eating sushi in a gas station. I wouldn't know because —unlike Mike M. — I have never dined in a gas station. Equally pretentiously, LLAW007 informs us that "I do a lot of fine dining"; wow, I must be a complete hayseed to have actually enjoyed myself in this restaurant. (Besides which, what's with the Double-Oh Seven moniker, Mr. Bond?)

So we find their experiences were completely different from mine, and I have dined at the Red Bowl 6-7 times now. Each time the food was tasty, the service was fun, the prices were reasonable and the flavors delectable. In particular, I enjoy sitting at the sushi bar because the chefs there will ask you about your favorites and make you something completely new, totally off-the-menu, just for you. I find this charming. Yes, I agree its not Fifth Avenue sushi; but the prices aren't Fifth Avenue prices, either.

So don't listen to those snarky "world travelers" in the bow ties and tuxedos. This is a modern, clean, fun restaurant with perky servers and a broad menu that will find something for everyone in your party to enjoy.

Reviewed March 22, 2016 via mobile

I came in for lunch and was not impressed at all. I had high expectations after reading the reviews. I do agree that the service is excellent. My server, Ashley, was fantastic and the highlight of my visit. The salad was plain iceberg, which is just poor form. The bang bang shrimp were very small and served over a bed of...wait for it...iceberg lettuce. I've had sushi all around the world and honestly this sushi was on par with something you would find at a gas station. The shrimp tempura was over cooked, the Ron roll was mostly cucumber and cream cheese. I will not be coming here again. If you are looking for good sushi go elsewhere.

Reviewed March 17, 2016 via mobile

Best sushi I've ever had. I love there spicy tuna rolls. And my boyfriend always gets the sashimi tuna... I always get the make your own plate it's so amazing I love being able to choose what I want with my meat. Definitely a place to go to for dates. It's a higher end Chinese/japanese restaurant.

1  Thank Ashley :
Reviewed March 6, 2016 via mobile

I eat a lot of fine dining, so I'm not going to break my neck to get back to this restaurant, but it wasn't bad. The service is good. I chose this place because I had never been and I wanted a different experience that wouldn't be a long wait, and I was pleased to be seated in a nice somewhat private corner. Not great, but not bad.

Reviewed March 2, 2016

Nothing special food wise-it was good but not great. The restaurant itself is very nuce and the employees are excellent but it was good but wouldn't be my top pick if I was eating out.