“Large Group handled well”

Ashten's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Ashten's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful meal on the upstairs level with a group of 12. Waitstaff handled the whole meal from drinks to dessert beautifully. Food is excellent. Acoustics are good too especially in an older building. Everyone enjoyed! Also... weather was very warm but the restaurant was comfortable.

1  Thank X9588BKkatem

Reviewed March 1, 2018

Here are the pros of this restaurant:

1. The atmosphere is very different and eclectic. The layout is different from the normal restaurant and it has a nice overall vibe.

2. It's in Southern Pines.

And now for the cons:

1. This place is VERY expensive. I don't mind dropping money on a life-changing meal (see St. Jacques in Raleigh as well as The Garland). The food here is over-priced and very bland for what they give you. We had two different appetizers (The Stuffed Artichoke hearts and the Portabello Mushroom Fries) shared the duck entree and had two different desserts (The Cookie Dumplings and the Apple Crisp). The desserts were the best part of the meal, in spite of the poor presentation (the ice cream with the Cookie Dumplings was very soupy by the time it got to us). While there was nothing wrong with the food served (i.e. it did not make us sick), it was, again, very bland. If I am going to spend as much as I did at a restaurant, I would hope it would live up to the hype.

2. Our waitress lost her patience with us. We really tried a fair variety of the food there and it was not to our liking, and I think she could tell. Again, we left a very large tip on top of spending a lot of money on the meal. Her curtness with us did not go unnoticed.

I love Southern Pines and was looking forward to going to this restaurant for awhile. It just was not our cup of tea. I would not go back there again.

2  Thank Lori L
Reviewed February 24, 2018 via mobile

The folks at Ashten’s never fail to accommodate. When I request a special table for dinner with my mom, we always get our favorite window table. And the food is consistently delicious and very fresh and creative. The ample salads and the salmon entrees are always spot on, and the double chocolate salted caramel cake is a addicting.
The atmosphere is cozy and intimate. The service attentive yet not aggressive.
We always enjoy this place and I can’t thank Ashten’s enough for making our evening special!

Reviewed February 9, 2018 via mobile

Delicious dinner in cozy yet elegant setting. Feels like you are part of the Pinehurst golf and horse farm community elite but still casual and relaxed. We enjoyed crab cakes and flatbread heirloom pea hummus to start. Our entrees were duck with field pea fried rice, local duck egg, and cheer wine glaze and NC flounder over Johnny Redd grits gritcake. Serious biz heirloom grit varietal, rescued from virtual extinction. And dessert was chocolate layer cake with salted caramel icing. All the very best!!!!

Oldoverholt, Owner at Ashten's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2018

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review! I appreciate you taking the time to write about Ashten's and I'm so happy that you enjoyed your evening.
I hope we will serve you again soon.
Best,
Ashley Van Camp
Ashten's

Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

I guess I just feel more comfortable. I can order local James Creek cider!! Stargazer. Thank you. I had a big lunch so stayed with the sliders. 3 biscuits with beef and chow chow, like a slaw. Nice portion. Good service. Energetic on a Thursday night. Nice.