All reviews back porch porch swing the cape fear river within walking distance street side overlooking the river rooms are clean pleasure boats can't beat the location small refrigerator oliver's restaurant island lighthouse restaurant next door the air conditioning unit walk into town we loved our stay bed and breakfast
Reviewed January 16, 2018

We have always been envious of the folks who get reservations in this motel when we are visiting Southport (which has pretty much become our "go-to" destination of late for a relaxing getaway-my wife wants to move there and we already have found a church we like and plan to visit when we are there!) We often drive from wherever we are staying down to the Pier and River Walk next to the motel and sit for the sunset or after sunset and "let our food digest" (as my father used to say) and enjoy the relaxation of swinging by the river. I planned a "spur-of-the-moment" trip to Southport a couple weeks ago, and (being winter) had no problems getting a river side room reservation. We were spurred on by friends who had been there a few weeks back and raved about it for cost-versus-value (rooms are about $40 less in winter than the summer rates). While I knew my cold-natured wife wouldn't want to sit out and swing, we were STAYING on the river with a personal swing outside our back door.

I knew that the motel side was owned and managed by Lois Jane's bed-and-breakfast across the street so I stopped there on arrival. As I got out of my vehicle, I was greeted from the motel by Cynthia, and I went over to meet her. She manages and maintains the motel and can do "check in" from that side if she is on premises. Check in was super easy and Cynthia was a sweetheart to talk to. The center of the motel (what was likely the "office" in the original incarnation) is now the laundry (for motel use by employees-not the public or guests) and the front is a "convenience" spot (extra towels, soaps, shampoos, etc., if you need anything of this nature while Cynthia is out or after hours). I also noticed the Belkin ROUTER for the Internet wi-fi on the wall just inside the door (more on that later).

We were able to park only FEET away from our room and this is important to me being a serial over-packer AND a cop-worried about the physical security of our vehicle (in general-not specific to Southport). We found our room already warm (a BIG DEAL to my Alabama born, Georgia-raised wife who is perpetually cold, and was even initially against a trip to Southport due to the cold weather.)

Obviously this motel is an older property. A search of the Brunswick County records online shows that it was initially built in 1953 and fully remodeled in 1990 (where else other than "David K" do you get this kind of in-depth info in a TA review!?!?) Another reviewer mentioned a remodel or update in the 2000s and this is likely but I can't confirm.

The main things I care about in a motel are cleanliness and good sleep quality. The motel was very clean and the towels were the absolute softest and fluffiest of any place I have EVER stayed-period. The bathroom (Room 3) was a little on the small side-again built in 1953...so we did "my turn, your turn" for showering and getting ready-so plan on that. The commode is tucked into a nook but usable even for large folks (I had to LEAVE a hotel on our last visit because the commode was tucked in a ridiculously narrow nook that I couldn't even use being large and stiff jointed.) The bed was stiff but again usable (AGAIN-we have had to LEAVE a motel because the beds were so hard...this is seeming like a trend with mid range motels). We were able to live with this one, although we would have preferred a softer one (I know...motels are caught in a Catch-22-some would then gripe about beds being too soft!)

Being a winter stay, it was very quiet, and we didn't hear a peep from the street, traffic, or Oliver's (restaurant) next door, but I am betting it would NOT be that quiet in the summer. We woke up a few times a night because of the mattress, but were able to get back to sleep and sleep late if we wanted to.

A couple of other reviewers mentioned the lack of (or poor) Internet service. I also encountered this on arrival. I tried for 30 minutes or so and kept getting a "unable to connect to this network" error. I tried the main B&B network also and got the same errors. Finally, I decided to try something (being the problem solver I am). I knew the router was in the middle room ("convenience area") with easy access. I KNOW that my personal home router has to be reset sometimes by simply powering off and restarting it. I went down and unplugged it and gave it a "10" count and re-plugged it in. By the time I got back to my room and got back on the computer, we had decent Internet and had no problems connecting the rest of the trip.

Overall, we LOVED our stay here AND our Winter getaway to Southport!

Room tip: Make sure to get a river front room!
Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Reviewed December 14, 2017

Southport knows how to celebrate! Their 4th of July Festival can't be beat- and neither can their Winterfest celebration!! We always go down for the Flotilla and try to stay at Lois Jane's Riverside Motel. There are only 8 rooms- and 2 of those are on the street side and believe me, you want the river side!! There is a restaurant right beside the motel, and there are many others within walking distance. Come to think of it, everything is Southport is within walking distance- that's the beauty of this place!
While the motel is small, it is clean and comfortable. Rooms come with a TV (of course!), microwave, small refrigerator, and very nice bathroom. The water is hot- very nice during the winter! The heat source is outstanding and even when it is freezing outside, you will be warm and cozy inside. A coffeemaker, complete with everything you need to make coffee, is included in the room. There is even a hair dryer tucked away in a drawer! If you need ice, there is an ice machine in the motel office, along with extra towels and coffee supplies, should you need them when no one is on duty there. Each river side room comes with a private porch, 2 chairs, and a swing for enjoying the scenery. Most days you will be excited to see the ocean freighters/tankers heading up river to Wilmington or making their way back to sea.
My only complaint with the motel- and the reason 4 stars instead of 5- is that I couldn't get the free wi-fi to work. My computer and cell phone only picked up the signal for the river pilots' tower! But hey, I was there to enjoy the Cape Fear river and all Southport has to offer, so I just left the computer in the case and enjoyed the time I was there. The people of Southport are very welcoming to visitors, and the staff at the motel is no exception. They are willing and eager to make your visit with them memorable and enjoyable! Wonderful place to stay- and if the motel is full-- try the Lois Jane Riverview Inn B&B across the street!!

Date of stay: December 2017
2  Thank catfish220
Reviewed November 8, 2017

We enjoyed our stay at Riverside Motel. We paid $106/night for a river view, and $84/night for a street view, which was reasonable. The place was not spacious or elegant at all, but it was clean, and its location was excellent. The best part was that our back "porch" had a bench, chairs, and a wonderful view of the river. Also, the cleaning maid was extremely sweet. The worst part was that the shower was a trickle, and we had no internet during our entire stay. Also, the mattress was very hard. But we will come back due to the price, location, and friendly staff.

Room tip: Paying extra for a river view is worth it so you can have your own Happy Hour on the back porch.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JodyPony
Reviewed October 29, 2017

Just spent three wonderful days in Southport at the Riverview Motel. Lovely weather and spotless rooms and great view of the ships going up to Wilmington. They are so close. Very helpful staff and close to great restaurants.

Room tip: For best views of the river choose 3,4,5 6 or 7 all rooms are similar otherwise.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SKelly2185
Reviewed October 26, 2017

Motel is older but comfortable. Stayed in room 7. End of motel with deck overlooking the river. Very nice staff. Very relaxing. Close to town and restaurants so you can walk. Will plan to go back soon.

Date of stay: October 2017