“Amazing family friendly tubing trip”

Foothills Outdoor Adventures
Ranked #6 of 13 things to do in Wilkesboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Yadkin River trips & Kayak Rentals. Guided Fly Fishing and boat tours. Located in Wilkesboro near Boone and Blowing Rock.
Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

I’m literally headed back to the house now from our trip with Chris at Foothills Outdoor Adventure. Chris and his staff were incredibly accommodating. We called this morning around 11, with questions. Lots of questions from our group of 17 people of all ages and abilities. He was able to accommodate us the same day! We showed up an hour early with a lot more questions from individuals in our group who were very hesitant to tube for two hours. Let me just say, we had the most incredible time and I am positive this will be a memory that everyone talks about for years to come.
That being said.. hopefully this can help answer some questions if you were wondering the same things we were!

You can rent a tube and take it to the lake (but that would be boring so don’t do that ;)

The 2.5 hour trip is plenty and is just that amount of time.

The current is not strong and it was prefect even for a four year old and a seventy year old.

The tub is a little work, can fit four people. Two people sit on coolers and paddle, at the same time and strength. We had three ladies and a teenage girl in one and they did a good job despite not going to the beach for the day ;)definitely team players!
Now, we did use the coolers for our drinks in the tub but unfortunately they sat on them the whole time and did not feel comfortable enough standing up to let us in ;)

The river is mostly 3-4 feet deep but some parts are deeper, but they were few and far between.

We were dropped in at one point about a mile from the outpost and then picked up three miles further, it does not end at the lake like some had hoped.

The water was cold for us Floridians at first but after ten minutes it was glorious!

I definitely recommend bringing water to drink with you, wear a hat. Water shoes or socks were not necessary. Some in our group managed just fine without them. Het a dry bag for your phone as well!

Spray down with sunscreen before you go for sure, there were not many bugs to worry about at 3pm.

Yes there are down branches and trees all along the river bank, but if you’re looking forward, you will be fine..

There are a couple of quicker pace spots on the river but they are nothing really! We previously tubed at Deep Creek in Bryson which is what traumatized our group from wanting to ever do this again, but nonetheless we did and I’m glad if you’re wearing jewelry, I recommend leaving it at home, as someone in our group did lose an item :(

Date of experience: July 2018
in 4 reviews
"trees"
"foothills"

Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

Had a great time floating down the river in our TUB! John and his son were fantastic and truly embodied southern hospitality. Definitely recommend!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed August 15, 2016

Took a family tub float with FOA and met John the owner at his rustic outfitter shop along the highway up to the Tailwater Access to Key Scott Lake/Yadkin River. Beautiful scenery, good current coming off the dam but a lot of trees in the river - be prepared for some paddling to steer around the debris. Short trip is 2-3 hours, longer is 4 hours so bring a cooler to float down with your lunch and beverages (please use cans, don't be those clowns). John and team are super helpful, just realize this is rural NC so don't expect a fancy shuttle and lux equipment, but a solid value for the price.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed August 2, 2016

Although I have my own kayaks, when I drove up to Kerr Scott Lake, I didn't have either with me. All it took was a short visit with the owner of Foothills Outdoor Adventures & I was set to go....delivery to the lake & decent equipment along with affordable pricing! I'll be back!

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank oek9mom
See more reviews
Reviewed July 4, 2016

Worst boat rental experience I've ever had. Classic bait and switch. They show a photo of a newer pontoon boat on their website, but the actual pontoon boat we rented was horrible.

The boat they rented to us was disgusting. The storage bins had never been cleaned out and were filled with dead insects. The engine burned oil and smoked the entire time. There weren't any seats so they put fold-out lawn chairs on the boat and there weren't even enough of those for six people.

Do yourself a favor and rent from the marina. I don't recommend you rent from John and Foothills Outdoor Adventures. Miserable experience that ruined our fourth of July.

Date of experience: July 2016