“Filthy! No where near Hilton Standards”

Hilton Wilmington Riverside
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Wilmington
cleveland, ohio
“Filthy! No where near Hilton Standards”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Room 740, 3.20.12 Room smelled of perfume, sheets and pillows smelled of same, ironing board broken, hairs in tub and on floor. Lamp shade broken. On arrival (10 p.m. tuesday night), no valet, no bellman. Drove through broken gates to back of hotel and carried my own bags around parking lot and up ramp. Greeted by young woman at front desk who told me I would have to take a parking tag to my car in back, or else! They would clamp and tow it. Informed this young lady to find a bellman, or do it herself. This place needs a cleaning, a redo and staff retraining, or just take the Hilton Sign down and re-flag it, this place is no where near a real Hilton.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton, its cheaper and cleaner.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank matthewhudson1
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for your recent stay. I was surprised at the experience you had and I apologize for your room. We have an outstanding housekeeping department so I am disappointed to hear that the room was not up to our high standards.

I have forwarded your feedback to the appropriate departments and I sincerely hope you will return to discover that this is not a typical stay for guests. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Not sure why and not sure how we wound up in a handicap room when we booked the room months in advanced. Upon entering the room and turning on the bathroom light a bug came out of the shadows and scampered away. Room was clean somewhat, but the bathroom was dirty.
The handicap room was next to the elevator and every time the elevator stopped on the floor the bell would go off. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking I won something.
The bed was torturous. We both have healthy backs, but waking up with back pain was not something I wanted to experience on vacation.
Location was great, staff was friendly, but we could not wait to check out.

Room Tip: make sure you do not get the handicap room
1 Thank J P F
Thank you for your business and feedback. I apologize you had a bad trip. We do all we can to ensure a great guest experience and I am disappointed to hear we did not deliver that for you.

It looks like you stayed in February, so I do want to let you know in the past few weeks we have replaced all of the bedding in the hotel to Hilton's standard Serta bed package. I hope you will return soon to try it out..
Concord, NC
Reviewed 16 March 2012 via mobile

No problems here. Nice room, clean, great view. I would request a room on the river side of the hotel, otherwise you are looking over the city. Fitness center clean and operational. Ruth's Chris in the lobby of the hotel, only ate dessert but it appears to be up to standard. Would stay here again!

Stayed February 2012
Thank you for your recent stay and great review. We hope you enjoyed it and we are looking forward to your return!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Not only did I have a large fundraiser at the Hilton in 2011 (and will continue to have for years to come), I also visit almost weekly to have lunch at Innovations. The Hilton staff are awesome, from Sales, to Hotel, to the best wait staff in Wilmington. The daily buffet at Innovations is out of this world and changes daily. Again, I can't say enough about the Restaurant staff. I enjoy bringing clients, friends and family there for lunch. My husband and I also enjoy having dinner at Ruth Chris and again the service is wonderful.... And I have spent nights at the hotel, and wonderful views, great staff...... Keep up the great job! Tricia

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Hartsville, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend in historic Wilmington and this was a great place to stay. Location can't be beat, right downtown on the river. It's close to everything. The staff was fabulous. We valeted the car when we arrived and didn't get it again til it was time to go home. When we return to Wilmington we will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Book a riverview.
1 Thank ryan7515
WilmingtonHiltonGirl, Director of Sales at Hilton Wilmington Riverside, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
We are thrilled you and your wife had such a good time.

We think you should come back this weekend...It is going to be 70 and Sunny :)!
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Several years ago I lived in Wilmington and it seemed everyone wanted to stay at the Hilton even now the Hilton seems to be the place to stay.............so this past Valentine weekend I wanted somewhere special for us to stay and I chose the Hilton. When I booked I specified that I wanted to guarantee a riverview, well I paid extra for that view.....one floor above a big, white roof top........you had to look beyond that distraction to focus on the view. The one thing that really upsets us is the fact that you have to pay to park in the Hilton's parking lot..........aren't the rates high enough without charging a guest to park there?

Room Tip: Don't request a specific room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent stay and your comments.

Unfortunately, there is no complimentary parking in down town Wilmington. I am not sure if that was the case when you lived here- it is now. As the downtown area grew parking demand grew as well. Parking is so limited in the area that (2) garages have been added within blocks of the hotel over the past two years. We do charge for parking however unlike the street parking, you do have in/out privileges for the entire stay and no meters!

As for your stay, I am sorry you were disappointed with your room. We do try to get everyone the best view possible, however sometimes over high occupancy dates (depending when the reservation was made and the room type you requested) a lower floor maybe all we had available.

Thank you again and I hope you will return and give us the opportunity to get you the perfect view!
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed 11 February 2012

As a leader of a corporate presentation team I travel intensively with my colleagues. As a HHonors Diamond member, I try to stay loyal to Hilton properties. The overall condition of the Wilmington NC Hilton makes it hard to convince my team of Hilton quality standards. The condition of this property shows little or no investment in upgrades for many years. Carpets everywhere are old and thin, rooms are stale, worn with old bad odors, fly specked - hand lettered signs grace things that are out of order. The decor reflects the cutting edge - late '80s. The "silver" elevator had drip stains that range from long-ago to the recent past. Staff was great, doing the best with what they have, but as far as a Hilton flagship brand, it is time for a serious look at Wilmington NC. Get the owner to invest in an upgrade or drop it down to a Doubletree or out of the portfolio. Next week my team will be selecting a hotel for the week. This property has made it harder to convince them that Hilton is the way to go. The next property might be great, but they have Wilmington as evidence that Marriott or Hyatt might be a better choice. I write this in the spirit of providing feedback for improvement as I want to remain a loyal Hilton guy for me and my team.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MikeK10_10
Thank you so much for your recent stay and your comments.

I know we have responded to your concerns via e-mail, but I did want to make mention that we have replaced all of the carpeting in the sleeping rooms, in case another traveler has the same concerns. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back.