“A truly great place to stay in historic Wilmington, NC!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Pemberville, Ohio
“A truly great place to stay in historic Wilmington, NC!”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My wife and I fell in love with Wilmington, NC, and it is places like Blue Heaven that make Wilmington such a wonderful place to visit! The owner, Jay, was very accommodating and attentive to our (and other guests’) needs. We dealt with Jay directly during all phases of our visit—before, during, and after. Every morning at 9:00 AM, a full breakfast is offered to all guests. Our room was clean and well kept when we arrived and throughout the week. We stayed in the “Key West” room. Though we stayed in August and the outside temperatures were hot, our room (as well as the entire bed and breakfast) was cool and comfortable. When you stay at Blue Heaven, Jay does a great job at making you feel at home. During our visit, my wife’s and my favorite thing to do was to sit on the front porch swing. When it was time for lunch and dinner, we walked to Historic Downtown Wilmington, which was only a five to ten minute walk to unique stores and great food! I give the Blue Heaven my highest recommendation, and I can assure anyone that he/she/they will have a great time at Blue Heaven. In conclusion, I don’t know exactly when I’ll revisit Wilmington, but I do know that when I do visit, I will be staying at the Blue Heaven Bed & Breakfast. Thank you, Jay, for a great week!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Key West room, but we saw all the rooms in the B&B, and we would have been just...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Even though my room was on the second floor, I was very alarmed to find roaches in my room! The building was also creaky and noisy as it is an old home. I will definitely stay in a hotel next time I visit Wilmington because I prefer quiet and privacy (not to mention no bugs!)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Jack G, Owner at Blue Heaven Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 25 December 2011
We apologize for your experience. We note that our sanitation score from the North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources Division of Environmental Health has been a perfect 100 for the last three years.
Reviewed 9 July 2011

My wife has always wanted to stay here, so for my 40th birthday we took a trip to Wilmington for the weekend. And after a disastrous stay at the dirty Baymont Inn, we called Jay for a last minute reservation for one night. Jay was gracious and friendly, he showed us the available rooms and we chose the Key West, a fun tropical themed room. The location is perfect (walking distance to downtown / riverfront) and this B & B is just what you'd expect: quiet, comfortable and relaxing. Breakfast was wonderful and Jay tries to vary his offerings for guests staying multiple nights. With other regular chain hotels charging $120 - $160 a night, do yourself a favor and try the Blue Heaven. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The owner was so kind and the house was lovely. He truely made it feel like a home away from home. I stayed in the Sanibel Suite and it was fantastic. It was only 5 blocks from the town and restraunts. The owner was very accomidating and made a delightful breakfast for us. It is the cleanest and cutest bed and breakfast I have ever been to. And the value was great. I would recommend it to many people.

• Stayed June 2011
Whiteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The moment you arrive at Blue Heaven you realize you have made the right decision. Blue Heaven is located on the corner of Orange and Sixth Street, just four blocks from Wilmington’s historic riverfront. A weekend at Blue Heaven awakens both the senses and the spirit.
The Queen Anne style home was built in 1897 by Frederick and Minnie Hashagan . The Hashagan’s occupied the home until 1922. Original architectural elements such seven fireplaces, stained glass windows, and beautiful heart pine floors add to the charm of today’s Blue Heaven.
Blue Heaven is named for an eclectic restaurant in Key West, Florida. Innkeeper Jay Gartrell is a seasoned traveler who merges his own experiences with the operation of Blue Heaven.
The inn boasts four serene guest rooms. Two large rooms make up the Sanibel Suite. These rooms are the largest and both feature king sized beds. The rooms offer a modern neutral color scheme. An antique dresser and original fireplace add an essence of history to the rooms. The private bathrooms are spacious and contain claw foot tubs along with modern showers. Lavender and pale blue color schemes accented by pure white add joy to the surroundings. These rooms can be rented as a suite for a family outing or individually for a cozy weekend for two. The Newport is the smallest room, but don’t let that dissuade you. The room is spacious with its queen sized bed and a love seat tucked in a small nook under the large window. The color scheme is a calming blue with white accents. Across the hall is a private bathroom with a large tub and shower for this room. The fourth room is the fun and eclectic Key West room. This room is beautiful and instantly recalls balmy Key West sunsets. From its key lime and white striped floors to the infamous rooster, you don’t have to be Hemingway to find inspiration during your visit. This room has a private bathroom that follows the Key West theme. All rooms have flat screen televisions, comfortable linens, robes, and complimentary chocolates.
Blue Heaven has several common areas for guests to enjoy. The front porch boasts a Victorian style gazebo complete with a porch swing. A comfortable wicker suite provides a restful spot for guests to socialize, read, or sip a glass of wine while enjoying Wilmington’s mild climate. The upper balcony provides an intimate space for uninterrupted reading or sipping a cup of Jay’s delicious coffee. Smoking is also permitted on the balcony. Pilots lounge is a comfortable parlor complete with couches, board games, and a large television for watching movies. Guests are treated with complimentary beverages and popcorn. Breakfast is served in the main dining room. Guests assemble family style around a large table. Laughter rings throughout the house as guests mingle and share their lives. Beautiful antiques and photographs fill the room. An antique piano, complete with sheet music to the tune of “My Blue Heaven", is among the most fascinating pieces of furniture. A photograph of the inn’s namesake also hangs in the dining room. Diners are immediately saluted by artfully arranged seasonal fruit. A hearty southern inspired breakfast soon follows. This could be grits, eggs, and sausage, or maybe a casserole of eggs, spinach, artichokes, mushrooms and a three cheese blend. Homemade biscuits are served with butter and fresh jam. A surprise cinnamon and butter pastry with whipped cream follows the meal.
Blue Heaven offers other small surprises. Small nooks contain modern artisan pieces along with antiques. Original stain glass windows pop up in the most unexpected places to complete the eclectic package.
A final plus is the excellent service found at Blue Heaven. The innkeeper works with a professional manner. The rooms are very clean and breakfast is served on time. Guests wake up to the smell of coffee. Jay is very knowledgeable about the area and local restaurants. He will make excellent recommendation and assist guest with reservations. He is able to suggest activities to enhance your visit to Wilmington. Combining this with rates that range from $100.00 to $150.00 for individual rooms, makes Blue Heaven an ideal place for a long or short getaway. When lodging at Blue Heaven, a heavenly experience is guaranteed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Chapel Hill NC
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Highly recommend this B&B. Jay, the owner, is a great host. He provides excellent recommendations for dining and his own culinary skills made Sunday breakfast special. Accommodations were excellent value. Cold weekend when we were there was made better by a visit to this home.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
charlotte, nc
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I stayed at blue heaven b&b with my boyfriend, and we both loved the place! The b&b is at a very convenient location, because you can just walk over to the riverfront. The hosts were super friendly. Breakfast was great, and they gave us a lot of info on local attractions and eateries, and really went out of their way to make our stay extremely pleasant.
I'd highly highly recommend this place if you want a low-key, cozy and comfortable stay in wilmington. ps. the other rooms looked great, but the key west room was a little disappointing.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple