“TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE! BE SURE YOU READ THE "1&2" RATINGS NOT THE "5" RATINGS”
Review of Graystone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wilmington
Graystone Inn
Ranked #12 of 18 Wilmington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We travel a lot and this is one of the absolute worst places we've encountered. I don't know how this place got some of the high reviews because it is FAR from a luxury place to stay. We paid $428 for ONE night and what a waste of money!! When we arrived we couldn't find a park and when we finally got to the front door and rang the doorbell we were greeted by a guy who seemed like he was having a bad day. He told us that our room wasn't ready and he pointed to a bench that we could put our things on until room was ready. When we got to the room I was absolutely disgusted with how dirty it looked. The carpet was so dirty and buckling up all over the floor. Then I grabbed, not only one towel, but two with big brown stains on them...see pictures. They serve h'odearuves and wine from 6-7 every night and we got downstairs at 6:07 and there was nothing out and no-one was in sight. We wandered around to see if we could find someone and finally the guy who checked us in obviously heard us and came out and hurriedly went back to kitchen and brought out wine and some pretzel mix. We walked out on the terrace and the chairs and tables were filthy. I can't believe how unkempt this place is. At breakfast some of the other guests were talking to us about their disappointment in their room as well as the carpet. I tried to nicely and politely talk to the owner about this, but he was disingenuous and didn't seem to care. Thought this would be a great choice for a romantic anniversary getaway, but boy were we wrong!!

Room Tip: Don't fall for it...it's not worth it!
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank S T
Richard M, Owner at Graystone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

There are always lessons to be learned from reviews.

Most of the negative reviews come from people who really wanted to be at the Hilton or the Ritz Carlton. For them, new trumps historic, and they don’t particularly care for the fine woodwork or spacious elegance of 100 years ago. With over a dozen movies and as many TV shows filmed at the Inn it is a special place that needs to be appreciated. If you really wanted the Hilton please don’t book at a historic family operated Inn.

We are generally very full on the weekends. When guests book at the last minute like these folks, they will not have much of a choice of rooms, and may not get what they want. All of our rooms are different with different prices, and of course the less expensive rooms go first.

They were hoping for our famous lime stuffed French toast with the lime curd sauce that we had the previous day. They arrived late and were only staying one night (we waived our two-night minimum because of the late booking) so they didn’t get what they wanted.

We endeavor to make everyone happy when we find out about a problem before check out, but we are not a resort.

Please come and stay with us for our unique offering to our unique guests.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This is our second time over the last several years to stay at this beautiful Inn! The innkeeper~ Rich is so hospitable ! Love the romantic rooms and all the history of this place! Highly suggest for a romantic getaway !

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017

When visiting the Wrightsville, NC beach area, usually I stay ocean front. Because it was a July 4 holiday weekend, I decided to stay at the Graystone in Wilmington to enjoy the riverside restaurants and the historical parts of Wilmington. And, it was a treat to be at Graystone.

The rooms are well-appointed and quite large.

Recommendation: If you have an issue climbing into and out of some of the antique tubs, be sure to ask for a room with a bath that accommodates your needs. Also, the breakfast is to-die for. Before ordering, you might ask the portion size. My friend and I could have shared our breakfast.

Our recommendation to the owners - explain the portion size so that people can elect if they want to share. Also, share in advance of bringing breakfast to table what is on menu for that morning.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2017

My wife and i visited for a long weekend and had a wonderful stay. The rooms are large and comfortable and the inn was beautiful. The home is about two blocks from downtown so it is an easy walk to all of the activities in the area. Parking is a real problem so don't be surprised if you have to leave your car a block or two away. Also, there are no ice machines so you have to ask for a bucket of ice to be brought to your room. Breakfast was excellent and the staff were very friendly. It can be a bit loud on the weekends with motorcycles and groups of people walking past so you may want to get a room on the side away from the street.

Stayed: June 2017
Reviewed 8 June 2017

A great place to go and relax. Everyone was so polite and helpful. Breakfast was fantastic. We recommend it to all. Wilmington is a great place to go and get away and just chill. The Inn is the place to stay.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

This was our first ever stay at a B&B and my wife and I were not disappointed. The atmosphere of the manor felt very antique and real, which we enjoyed.

When we first arrived, the busy street and driveway were full, so my wife ran inside and Dale working for front desk easily moved vehicles around so we could park. He also brought in our luggage and offered to take it up stairs for us.

Our room felt very authentic, and the bathroom was recently updated. Breakfast every morning was wonderful. Plenty of pastries and fruit to snack on before the entrées were served. The entrées are also very delicious and filling. Perhaps my favorite part of breakfast was mingling with other guests and hearing their stories. That is something you just can't get at a traditional hotel.

Although we had a great and amazing stay, I felt like I wanted a bit more for price. I would still recommend this place for anyone as we had an awesome B&B experience and it is in a great location on the edge of downtown.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2017

My husband took me to this beautiful inn for one night to celebrate my birthday. I was not disappointed. In fact, I was in awe as we arrived to this mansion. The place is absolutely gorgeous! Every room was more impressive than the last. Our favorite room is the library. We really enjoyed the bottle of wine that the inn provides and snacks there before our dinner reservation in town. We were the only ones there and it could not have been more perfect! We stayed in the St. Thomas room. We loved everything about it. We loved the old, antique furnishings. The original window seating was so nice. The walk in shower was spacious and nice. The robe that they provide is the comfiest, and softest robe I've ever worn! The bed was also very comfortable, with the softest sheets ever. Breakfast the next day was awesome! We were served in the grand dining room. Soft music playing, beautiful table setting. First we sampled some delicious muffins and little pastries. We had coffee, juice and fruit. We were blown away with the main entre, the inns famous key lime stuffed French toast! I never before had anything like it! It was fabulous! It came with a side of ham. It was a sweet and savory treat! We chatted with the owner, who was very nice. I did not want to check out until the very last minute. It was a little chilly that day, so we did not get to check out the veranda. It would have been lovely to have coffee or a glass of wine out there. I would highly recommend this place for a nice get-away or a special occasion.

Room Tip: All rooms seem lovely.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple