The Verandas
US$161
Hilton.com
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Coastline Inn(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$118
BestWestern.com
US$125
TownePlace Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$85
Staybridge Suites Wilmington East(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$102
Sleep Inn(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$76
US$71
Suburban Extended Stay of Wilmington(Wilmington)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$76
Hotels.com
US$98
Fairfield Inn
All reviewsb bfrench pressedcomplimentary winehistoric districtbed and breakfastfrench press coffeehouse is beautifulplace to stayeach morningthree nightstwo blocksspent nightsguest roomsbreakfast was deliciousthoroughly enjoyed our staythe location is perfectsouthern hospitality
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We absolutely loved this hotel, this home, from the second we stepped through the door. Chuck and Dennis are amazing, everything you would hope for. I could write for hours now and we still mention "the verandas" regularly.. plotting our return one day. If we could go every season, we would!
Beautiful, beautiful decor, food, welcome, kindness, in lovely Wilmington. Thank you to everyone there. A top, top place.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bethfoster
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I was in Raleigh for a wedding and I thought it gave me a great opportunity to revisit Wilmington and The Verandas. Wilmington is charming any time of year, as is The Verandas, but the Christmas tree in the living room made it even more so. Chuck and Dennis were as welcoming as ever. I brought my married daughter along with me and she and her husband were thrilled to be there.
We are detail people and Chuck gave us the tour of his latest additions to his collections. I could have sat in my room, number 3, just admiring the details of the interior design; Dennis is a designer and the house is his great work. The furniture all seems perfect for the spaces and the attention given to upholstery and drapery is amazing. This visit I noticed that there are covered buttons sewn above the box pleats on
the bedskirt. Like everything at the Verandas, it is just a step beyond what is necessary and subtlely transports the experience to a higher dimension.
Breakfast is included and that morning we ate from family "wedding china." The menu? Melon and berries, shirred eggs, country sausage, homemade muffins, and a slice of cranberry sauce
cut into the shape of a star. Choice of juices, coffee, and teas. Yummy.
This is an inn where the hospitality is foremost and the accommodations superb. They encourage you to relax in the public rooms, nibble on the snacks and chocolates, and partake of the wine in the late afternoon. There is a "family photo album" that chronicles the transformation of the building from the former state of wreckage into the present restored beauty. It's an inspiration.
I had not been in North Carolina and The Verandas for 5 years. I will not wait that long to return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are all decorated differently. There is no elevator, and the ceilings are high, so some would want a room on the second floor rather than the third.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank fromphila
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We where at the Veranda's for a week in early November. This was our first B & B experience and we where a little nervous not knowing what to expect. We where immediatly put at ease when we met chuck. He is so warm, friendly and a top notch host. Very heplful with directions and any questions about Wilmington in general. He even had coupons for some of the area attractions. The house is truly spectacular with clean and spacious rooms. The bath products they use are now my new favorites. The Veranda's has secure internet which was a big plus for us. The breakfast was gourmet at its best! I only hope that our next B & B stay will be this good. If you are planning to stay in Wilmington it is worth every penny to stay at the Veranda's.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2011

My husband and I spent a relaxing night at the Verandas. Chuck was helpful and accomodating and gave great recommendations for dinner, even providing copies of the menus. We enjoyed our evening glass of wine relaxing on the veranda, reading and listening to the clip clop of the hooves of the horses that passed the hotel with the trolley tours. Our room had everything we needed. The bath was huge and filled with toiletries and white fluffy towels.
Breakfast was a gourmet feast with enjoyable company.
Don't miss this place.

Room Tip: The first floor is the living area with rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Rooms one through 4 are on the 2nd floor which is quite a climb.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GmaSandra
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at The Verandas. We stayed in Room One. The entire house is beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. Chuck was our host and he is such a nice person and we could tell he really loves Wilmington. He prepared a delicious breakfast each morning and helped us decide on restaurants to try. Hurricane Irene messed up some of our plans so we spent a lot of time in the house but still enjoyed our visit. Many restaurants closed that Friday night to prepare for the hurricane. Chuck offered to share the meal he was preparing to cook for himself and Dennis if we were unable to make reservations for dinner. Deluxe was the only place we saw that planned to stay open and it was one that Chuck recommended so we were able to have dinner out. Still, it was nice to know that Chuck would have taken care of us if plans had not worked out.

I have a gluten intolerance and Chuck customized breakfast to fit my dietary restrictions and took care to research all of the ingredients. He is a wonderful cook.

There is a 5:00 wine social hour for those who enjoy wine and soft drinks and snacks are available all day. There is a large collection of books for guests to borrow and a piano in one of the sitting rooms. There were Cd's being played in the background during our stay--everything from classical to a Patsy Cline tribute singer.

The house is very clean. I sometimes take my own cleaning supplies when I travel so I can clean the bathroom and room fixtures but friends told me this place is clean enough to meet my insanely high standards and they were right. I felt comfortable enough to walk barefoot in the room and bathroom which is a first for me.

We slept well even during the hurricane because the house is so well built you don't hear any outside noise. Chuck kept us updated on the storm news and stayed up most of the night to make sure everything was okay while we slept.

The house is in a perfect location and there is plenty of street parking available at no charge. We felt like the room rates were very reasonable and plan to visit again when the weather is better.

• Stayed: August 2011