“alittle worried after reading reviews....but pleasantly surprised!!!”
Review of Pig Pickin's of America - CLOSED

Pig Pickin's of America
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I had read reviews that were not very good....but I had purchased some gift certificates for Pig Pickins...so decided to try it anyway. I was pleasantly surprised!! We had the Hot chips...that were cooked to perfection!! I have been to other restaurants (high dollar ones at that) that WAY overcook the hot chips....these were wonderful!! We had the BBQ and it was very good.... Tender and moist!! They gave you plently of food! I have never been to a BBQ restaurant that offered 6....YES 6 types of BBQ sauces!! (I'm not much on Texas Pete for my BBQ, I like sauce) You can try them all...which we did!! Our server was very pleasant, and on the money as far as service. I will return...often! I can not think of one thing that that I was not pleased with.

Reviewed September 26, 2011

We went here for Lunch and found out they have new owners. Great place, Great people and Great BBQ. Food was hot and fresh. Server was awesome.

1  Thank Bardua
Reviewed January 15, 2011

This is NOT a 5 star, linen table cloth restaurant - it is the appropriate atmosphere for a bbq place. I read mixed reviews and decided to try it anyway, and am very glad I did. The people that don't like it must only like the vinegar based NC BBQ... as the Racks of ribs we had were as good as I have ever had anywhere in Memphis, St. Louis, KC or Texas. We had ribs (huge meaty full rack which is easily a meal for two- that were cooked to perfection, very high quality lean meat), pulled pork sandwich, onion rings which were nice and hot and excellent, I usually dislike hush puppies... always thought they were nasty little fried dough balls - theirs were very tasty. The waitress was a cute late 20's gal that was extremely friendly and nice. Several times she came by to see if we needed drink refills or anythign else. Don't know what the other reviewers on here are smoking, or maybe they don't like Tomato - Molasses style BBQ sauce... personally I don't care for the vinegar based Lexington style bbq anywhere near as much as St. Louis / Memphis / KC style.... and I loved the place...
Give it a try with an open mind and if you like Midwest style bbq you will have the best ribs I have had since moving to NC.

1  Thank bevhlsguy
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I was a big fan of Pig Pickens when we first moved to the area. So when we saw this Pig Pickens - I thought it would be great, as well. NO! We never smelt the food ....like you do at most restaurants....I kind of thought that was weird when we walked in, but then the hush puppies came and they were great. I was holding on to hope. Then the food came...the BBQ tasted old....the fries were very old and tasted like they had been microwaved to heat them up. Two of our 4 orders were wrong and the waitress was down right rude. As we were leaving we saw food carts outside where what looked like they had cooked the food somewhere else and brought the food in. (thus - why it was cold) I will never go there again.

3  Thank arenka
Reviewed October 22, 2009

This place doesn't serve BBQ, it serves a criminal travesty of BBQ.

It's certainly not Lexington or eastern-style NC BBQ, regardless of what they claim. Of course I don't know what they claim it is, I just know it's not either, having been born in bred around Lexington and having lived down east for 3 years.

I'd call it garbage BBQ, is what I'd call it. If you're looking for the best genuine Lexington-style BBQ in town, go to Little Richard's. Don't insult your BBQ palate by eating at this place.

1  Thank EPICurean98