“Worst EVER!”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I was a big fan of Pig Pickens when we first moved to the area. So when we saw this Pig Pickens - I thought it would be great, as well. NO! We never smelt the food ....like you do at most restaurants....I kind of thought that was weird when we walked in, but then the hush puppies came and they were great. I was holding on to hope. Then the food came...the BBQ tasted old....the fries were very old and tasted like they had been microwaved to heat them up. Two of our 4 orders were wrong and the waitress was down right rude. As we were leaving we saw food carts outside where what looked like they had cooked the food somewhere else and brought the food in. (thus - why it was cold) I will never go there again.

3  Thank arenka

Reviewed October 22, 2009

This place doesn't serve BBQ, it serves a criminal travesty of BBQ.

It's certainly not Lexington or eastern-style NC BBQ, regardless of what they claim. Of course I don't know what they claim it is, I just know it's not either, having been born in bred around Lexington and having lived down east for 3 years.

I'd call it garbage BBQ, is what I'd call it. If you're looking for the best genuine Lexington-style BBQ in town, go to Little Richard's. Don't insult your BBQ palate by eating at this place.

1  Thank EPICurean98
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My family stopped in Winston-Salem on the way to Myrtle Beach and I was hungry for BBQ. We had already checked out another bbq joint and it looked awful so we drove to Pig Pickins. As we pulled in, there were three cars in the lot and that is not a good sign. I walked with my brother up to the restaurant and there was a group of people standing outside. I asked a man how the food was and he said the ribs were great. Then he proceeded to tell me he was the owner of the joint. My brother and I walked in and nobody was in the restaurant other than the two workers behind the counter. We instantly thought negative thoughts but we were starving and there was not a whole lot else to choose from. The neighborhood around the place sucks. We decided to suck it up and hoped we had found a diamond in the rough. As I went to get the rest of our families, my brother heard one worker say there was only one rack of ribs left. We all sat down and the server came over. He was a nice guy, but I think he was high. If not, he is burnt out from past usage. We had a very bad feeling at this point. My brother asked the guy what is best at the restaurant and the server responded "The hot dogs". Our bad feeling did not go away. We ordered the only rack of ribs, a couple bbq sandwiches, wings, onion rings, french fries, hush puppies and hot dogs. The first food didn't come out for 20 minutes. Everything came out in shifts. I was completely done eating my ribs before my son got his hot dog. How long does it take to cook a hot dog? The server admitted confusion with basic tasks and struggled through our dining experience. I would never go there again, but in case you are curious, I'll rate the food.
Ribs - Not tender enough and not the best quality ribs. I have had worse.
Fries - Ore Ida Krinkle Cut? Enough said.
Hush puppies - Not round. A first for me. I enjoyed them.
Pork sandwiches - Okay. Sauce was too watery as mentioned before.
Onion Rings - Could be awesome. The flavor and structure of the rings were very good, but the two different orders were both cold.
Hot dogs - Good. I guess the pot head was right.

2  Thank 221wmsmvo
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Went to Pig Pickin's in 1990 and thought it was great. Went tonight (2008) and it was terrible. 1. "Please wait to be seated." but no one there. 2. Bartender came out. I notice that there are ashtrays on the bar. "Is there a non-smoking section?" "oh, the whole place is non-smoking, we just let the bar...." No one was at the bar and I was alone so I sat there. 3. Then noticed that a little 5 year old girl was at the end of the bar with the remote and Nick at Night blaring from the TV. No one supervising her. Guessed she was bartender's (who had disappeared) daughter. When bartender returned I asked, nicely, "do you think we could turn that down a bit?" She shrugged, "what can I do?" 4. Place was empty. I moved as far away as possible. Still annoying. Bartender said she'd come wait on me. 5. Time passed. 6. She waited on me. My beer emptied. 6. Time passed. 7. My food arrived. No silverware. I asked a waitress - "Your server will be right over." 8. Time passed. food getting cold. 9. I ate- food was fine. 10. There were more waitstaff than patrons, but the service still stunk- go figure. I understand from the earlier reviews that there are new owners. Hope they get on the ball. It used to be good.

2  Thank caperMA
Reviewed March 19, 2008

I used to like eating here. but since the new owners have taken over, prices have gone up and service down. I just order a large plate of chopped bar-b-que with rolls and mayo slaw. I get home not fries and no rolls. When I called to tell them their answer was you can come back or I'll take down your name and give you free rolls and fries next time you are here. How can it be free when I've already paid for it! And to top it off, it was over $8 for lunch! Plus the food was watery and no taste. They have gotten my last business.

2  Thank dinjun