“Good Place in Old Salem”

Augustus T. Zevely Inn
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Inn is an old, renovated building in Old Salem. Our room and bathroom were small but comfortable. Good mattress. Clean room. AC was effective. The property overall is attractive and charming. It's right in Old Salem, a plus. Service and friendliness were good. Breakfast was OK, nothing unusual. It's probably not well suited to young children. I'd recommend it to anyone else. Just remember...it's an old building...it creaks.

Room Tip: Rooms on second and third floor open right onto a nice porch overlooking the back courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We made reservations for the 3rd floor but upon arrival Linda noticed our "arthritic bodies" and let us look at 2 other rooms to let us make a change if we wished. We did gratefully opt for the 2nd floor. This B&B is beautifully restored but so authentic down to the cabinets and pewter in them. We loved sitting in the parlor in huge chairs in front of one of the many fireplaces.
The breakfast listed as continental was really a delicious small feast of homemade quiche, French toast, sausage. This location is right across a quiet street from the Tavern which served the best dinner. It was so nice to be able to just walk back to our place. In fact this is a walking part of W-S where we could enjloy the other historical buildings and yards. The local bakery makes the best sugar cakes. We felt so welcomed by the owner and the chef. Hope we can return soon.

Room Tip: Very steep stairs lead to the 3rd floor. Garden rooms are large. Our front 2nd floor room had a nice...
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Nothing prepared me for unexpectedly delight of this inn on the main street in historic Old Salem. It was warm, welcoming, comfortable and quiet, and very carefully managed with the highest of standards. Beautiful bouquets of fresh local flowers were in arrangements in every public room, breakfasts were lavish, delicious, and freshly-made, bed linens were top of the line, and the rooms were decorated with fine historic reproductions. An "L" shaped historic home, the inside of the "L" is a two-story generously sized open piazza with seating, all overlooking the lush and dense gardens below. I felt lucky to have stumbled into this little gem of a place, where as a single female traveler, I was warmly welcomed to feel quite at home.

The innkeeper - Linda - and breakfast chef - Sherry - both took extraordinary efforts to meet each guests needs with hospitality and warmth. What will you find when you go? An historic central hall early Colonial home, with a parlor on one side including two fireside chair-and-a-halfs, a small library, and other sitting areas, and a sunny dining room on the other side. The dining room has a vestibule where you can get coffee from 6 am on, a refrigerator full of bottled water, and a big ice machine - help yourself at any hour! In the rear hall is the check-in area -- and most importantly, that's where you'll find fresh baked cookies every night when you return from your day's adventures.

I was lucky enough to stay in the Winter Kitchen suite - which I recommend highly if you are traveling with someone else who needs their own room. That suite had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a connecting living room. The smaller bedroom had a queen sized bed, the larger bedroom was gigantic, with a huge king 4-poster bed facing an huge open fireplace hearth, where big gas logs fired up at the touch of a switch. Two wing chairs at the foot of the bed faced the fireplace....I wished I'd had company and cooler weather, to sit and enjoy a fire there. Both the large bedroom and living room opened onto the piazza. Each bedroom has its own TV, and I found wi-fi worked perfectly throughout the inn, as did my AT&T cell phone.

I stay in B & Bs almost exclusively when I travel and this experience at Zeverly Inn was one of my top experiences in 20 years of traveling. I won't be staying anywhere else when I return to Winston Salem on future trips.

1  Thank JTTRBUG
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This past weekend on July 4th, we arrived at the Inn for what would have been our fourth stay at The Zevely. We were told we could not check in before 3pm so we spend the day in Old Salem. The Inn Keeper greeted us at the front door. When my husband announced we were checking in, she looked at me holding our 1yr old child, then looked back at my husband and announced they do not allow children. First she stated that the noise could disturb other guests. My husband reminded her that they allowed pets and that we had booked the room that was not adjacent to the main house that had a seperate entrance. She reiterated that was their policy. He asked at what age they were allowed. The Inn Keeper said, "When they are grown up." She had no answer when we asked when someone is grown up. She stated that all guests are asked when booking who is in their party. It was the same lady that booked our room and we were never asked about our party. There is no information about a no children policy on their website. She made no effort to find us somewhere else to stay. We quickly found out that a conference in town had all hotels booked and we had to drive 45min away to find somewhere. I have no problem with a no children policy, but would expect that policy to be clearly indicated. I have seen children staying in the Inn before. I found it outrageous that she would turn a family away on a holiday without any effort to help us find other accommodations.

5  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed July 3, 2013. Excellent place to stay. Beatuifuly decorated period house with 12 rooms. Clean, friendly, comfortable and excellent location. Our Queen room was $125 including tax. Room had everything we needed including alarm clock and hair dryer. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend. Our experience was nothing like April 21 "too hot on 3rd floor"comments. Just saying...

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a short get-a-way, spur of the moment. The B&B is located right in the middle of Old Salem which was so convenient. We were greeted by Sherry when we arrived, she was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the history. We were given a tour of the B&B and she explained the breakfast set up and times. We went out that evening and upon returning we found baked chocolate chip cookies and brownies available...yum! The room was nice and the outside deck area with rocking chairs was wonderful. For breakfast we enjoyed home-made french toast, sausage, muffins, etc. which was placed as a buffet style. Very nice and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We recently stayed a few nights at the Augustus Zevely while visiting Old Salem and surrounding area. The innkeepers were attentive, the location was perfect -- nestled among the streets of Old Salem -- and the inn was quaint and quiet. We stayed in a room that had its own exterior entrance which led out onto a porch. We loved sitting there in the evenings or mornings enjoying the quiet and the breeze. One night we even heard the clip-clop of horses hooves and sure enough, a carriage was rolling down the street! Our room had a queen-sized bed and it slept very comfortably. Breakfast during the week was said to be lighter than on weekends, but we had more than enough variety to satisfy: boiled egg, sausage biscuit, fruit, juice, assorted sweet breads, yogurt, homemade granola, cereal. Very nice.

A few things to note: this is an old historic home and old homes have their eccentricities such as uneven temperatures; however, we had extra blankets at night and opened the windows one afternoon to get a little extra air so we made out fine. The queen bedroom was small and the bathroom was very small so those who travel with a lot of cosmetics, meds, etc. may have some space issues. (See photos). If we were to stay for more than a night or two, we would most likely ask to see a larger room.

We rated our stay as a "4" only because there were a few things that we have experienced at other places that were not present here: the common rooms were rather small for the number of bedrooms and didn't feel particularly inviting for mingling with other guests; I was surprised that there was not some type of refreshments (tea, lemonade, coffee, etc) available during the afternoons/evening (there is an ice bucket and glasses in the guest room if you bring your own cold drinks ). However I am sure had we specifically asked, the innkeeper would have found something for us.

The Old Salem area is lovely, as is the August Zevely Inn and its inkeepers. All in all, we had a very enjoyable visit and would visit again.

Room Tip: No elevators. Quite a few stairs to first floor rooms and twice that to second floor. I wouldn'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple