“No Young Children Allowed. Policy Does Not State It So I Will State It For You...”

Augustus T. Zevely Inn
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Nothing against the Inn itself but it needs to be written in their policies that they DO NOT accept younger children under any circumstance. It is apparently an unwritten rule. Do not try to get away with it or you will be sorely disappointed ;) FYI We were upfront and honest that we had a child when we booked and gave them our credit card # online, read all of the policies before booking the room and it made absolutely no mention of this. I find it quite ironic that they accept pets but not children...Super glad she was so kind in letting us know ahead of time that this was an issue so we could book a room at another great and accommodating B & B before driving hours on end and having no place to stay. We are not hotel people, we are professionals whom enjoy the B & B experience quite thoroughly. When I called to question her about the policy she mentioned that I had been on "Tripadvisor" prior to calling and that I had read another nasty review regarding this issue (which since the conversation I have indeed read thanks to her insinuation) ;) I am completely fine with a "no child" policy but it is extremely frustrating to seek out and find a B & B that does accept children only to find out that they do not. I suggested that the policy be more upfront to avoid such confrontations entirely to which she stated that I ruined her night. Well we are repeat customers returning after ten years and she ruined my memory of when my husband and I first got together and had stayed there. Something like, "We love kids, but our property is oriented toward responsible adults and not suitable for children". Yep, I think that would do it!

Room Tip: Don't bring your kids ;)
1  Thank juliesellsrealtor1

Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Inn is an old, renovated building in Old Salem. Our room and bathroom were small but comfortable. Good mattress. Clean room. AC was effective. The property overall is attractive and charming. It's right in Old Salem, a plus. Service and friendliness were good. Breakfast was OK, nothing unusual. It's probably not well suited to young children. I'd recommend it to anyone else. Just remember...it's an old building...it creaks.

Room Tip: Rooms on second and third floor open right onto a nice porch overlooking the back courtyard.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We made reservations for the 3rd floor but upon arrival Linda noticed our "arthritic bodies" and let us look at 2 other rooms to let us make a change if we wished. We did gratefully opt for the 2nd floor. This B&B is beautifully restored but so authentic down to the cabinets and pewter in them. We loved sitting in the parlor in huge chairs in front of one of the many fireplaces.
The breakfast listed as continental was really a delicious small feast of homemade quiche, French toast, sausage. This location is right across a quiet street from the Tavern which served the best dinner. It was so nice to be able to just walk back to our place. In fact this is a walking part of W-S where we could enjloy the other historical buildings and yards. The local bakery makes the best sugar cakes. We felt so welcomed by the owner and the chef. Hope we can return soon.

Room Tip: Very steep stairs lead to the 3rd floor. Garden rooms are large. Our front 2nd floor room had a nice...
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Nothing prepared me for unexpectedly delight of this inn on the main street in historic Old Salem. It was warm, welcoming, comfortable and quiet, and very carefully managed with the highest of standards. Beautiful bouquets of fresh local flowers were in arrangements in every public room, breakfasts were lavish, delicious, and freshly-made, bed linens were top of the line, and the rooms were decorated with fine historic reproductions. An "L" shaped historic home, the inside of the "L" is a two-story generously sized open piazza with seating, all overlooking the lush and dense gardens below. I felt lucky to have stumbled into this little gem of a place, where as a single female traveler, I was warmly welcomed to feel quite at home.

The innkeeper - Linda - and breakfast chef - Sherry - both took extraordinary efforts to meet each guests needs with hospitality and warmth. What will you find when you go? An historic central hall early Colonial home, with a parlor on one side including two fireside chair-and-a-halfs, a small library, and other sitting areas, and a sunny dining room on the other side. The dining room has a vestibule where you can get coffee from 6 am on, a refrigerator full of bottled water, and a big ice machine - help yourself at any hour! In the rear hall is the check-in area -- and most importantly, that's where you'll find fresh baked cookies every night when you return from your day's adventures.

I was lucky enough to stay in the Winter Kitchen suite - which I recommend highly if you are traveling with someone else who needs their own room. That suite had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a connecting living room. The smaller bedroom had a queen sized bed, the larger bedroom was gigantic, with a huge king 4-poster bed facing an huge open fireplace hearth, where big gas logs fired up at the touch of a switch. Two wing chairs at the foot of the bed faced the fireplace....I wished I'd had company and cooler weather, to sit and enjoy a fire there. Both the large bedroom and living room opened onto the piazza. Each bedroom has its own TV, and I found wi-fi worked perfectly throughout the inn, as did my AT&T cell phone.

I stay in B & Bs almost exclusively when I travel and this experience at Zeverly Inn was one of my top experiences in 20 years of traveling. I won't be staying anywhere else when I return to Winston Salem on future trips.

1  Thank JTTRBUG
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This past weekend on July 4th, we arrived at the Inn for what would have been our fourth stay at The Zevely. We were told we could not check in before 3pm so we spend the day in Old Salem. The Inn Keeper greeted us at the front door. When my husband announced we were checking in, she looked at me holding our 1yr old child, then looked back at my husband and announced they do not allow children. First she stated that the noise could disturb other guests. My husband reminded her that they allowed pets and that we had booked the room that was not adjacent to the main house that had a seperate entrance. She reiterated that was their policy. He asked at what age they were allowed. The Inn Keeper said, "When they are grown up." She had no answer when we asked when someone is grown up. She stated that all guests are asked when booking who is in their party. It was the same lady that booked our room and we were never asked about our party. There is no information about a no children policy on their website. She made no effort to find us somewhere else to stay. We quickly found out that a conference in town had all hotels booked and we had to drive 45min away to find somewhere. I have no problem with a no children policy, but would expect that policy to be clearly indicated. I have seen children staying in the Inn before. I found it outrageous that she would turn a family away on a holiday without any effort to help us find other accommodations.

7  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Stayed July 3, 2013. Excellent place to stay. Beatuifuly decorated period house with 12 rooms. Clean, friendly, comfortable and excellent location. Our Queen room was $125 including tax. Room had everything we needed including alarm clock and hair dryer. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend. Our experience was nothing like April 21 "too hot on 3rd floor"comments. Just saying...

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here as a short get-a-way, spur of the moment. The B&B is located right in the middle of Old Salem which was so convenient. We were greeted by Sherry when we arrived, she was very friendly and very knowledgeable about the history. We were given a tour of the B&B and she explained the breakfast set up and times. We went out that evening and upon returning we found baked chocolate chip cookies and brownies available...yum! The room was nice and the outside deck area with rocking chairs was wonderful. For breakfast we enjoyed home-made french toast, sausage, muffins, etc. which was placed as a buffet style. Very nice and would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple