“No better than adequate”

Innkeeper - Winston Salem South
Innkeeper - Winston Salem South
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Winston Salem
Reviewed 24 March 2007

We overnighted at the Innkeeper Winston-Salem on our way down to Myrtle Beach. We chose this hotel out of the several available based on travel guides we picked up at the nearest Rest Area. We found coupons advertising rooms for $39.99. As this was the most inexpensive in the area, we headed for the Innkeeper.

When we got there we were told that they don't honour the coupons during holidays or special events (and this is true, it says right on the coupons), and the special event being held in town was some sort of furniture convention? Anyway, the only cheaper hotel in town was a very sketchy Motel 6, so we decided to pay the $59.99 and stay the night anyway.

First stop on the holiday, and already there were problems. The room when we arrived in it had a thick, perfume-y odour, it took quite a bit of getting used to. After turning on some of the lights we made the decision to keep most of them off, because we didn't really want to see the dirt. There were makeup smudges on pillowcases, what looked like makeup around the sink in the bathroom, and the carpets near the beds were not clean. We considered leaving, but we were road-weary and just wanted a place to lay our heads.

The beds were adequately comfortable, the fridge and microwave worked perfectly, and the bathroom was for the most part very clean and well-appointed. Best feature of this hotel? Free wi-fi internet access in the rooms! It was great to have when we stayed here; it allowed me to plan the next few days of the trip.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank MyMica

Reviewed 27 September 2006

Stayed in this property last year with no problems. A decent place with fairly well kept and good-sized rooms. The property offers reasonable rates, and easy access to I-40 and major in-city routes.

When I called and booked a room, I specifically said that I required a non-smoking room. Checked in and our room had the no-smoking sign on the door and one in the bathroom, but it smelled like a dirty ashtray. In fact there were ashtrays in the room, one on either side of the bed and one in the bathroom. And there were burn marks on the tub in the bathroom.

Before unpacking, I called the desk and requested another room. The person at the desk told me they were full and no other non-smoking rooms were available. She offered to have someone come "spray the room,” which I declined, as I have some chemical sensitivity. If had not had plans and needed to be somewhere in a few minutes, I would have left and sought accommodations elsewhere.

The property was far from full. In fact there were at least four empty non-smoking rooms on the same hall as the room I was given. I have contacted the management, but haven't had any response. The person at the front desk when I checked out was apologetic, but offered me nothing other than an apology for her dishonest co-worker and the condition of the room.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple