New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #28 of 29 Hotels in Grand Forks
Winnipeg, Canada
“Dated Hotel, But clean”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

This hotel is showing its age. The hotel itself is clean though and the staff makes up for the aged hotel. It also provided free shuttle to the Airport, which is a real plus.Ideal for a short stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the pool as inside rooms are very hot due to the large pool area.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haymaker13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I was warmly greeted at the counter by the staff when I arrived. Check-in was very quick I was quickly on my way to my room. On my way, I noticed that the pool area was very big. It had a small children's pool, a large whirlpool, and a generous swimming pool equipped with a large spiral slide. There were plenty of towel available for guests and there was even an area for table tennis. There was also a small coin operated arcade in the pool area as well.

When I got to my room, this is where I was extremely disappointed. I asked for a non-smoking room upon check-in, and the room that I was given was recently converted to non-smoking. The stench was just awful. The carpet in the room was lifting in a bunch of different spots and looked like it hadn't been shampooed in 10 years. The valance for the window was covered in spider webs and the hardware to open and close the curtains was broken.

There was a very pronounced draft by the door to the outdoor parking lot. and when I opened the door, I noticed that all of the trim / rubber seal was missing. I had to put a towel at the bottom of the door to keep the draft at bay. I also noticed that our heater / Air conditioner unit was in need of repair. Vents were missing, and the unit appeared to be separating from the wall. I went back to the front desk and explained what condition my room was in, they apologized up and down. They changed my room for me, but it wasn't that much better.

In the hotel's defense, this property is in the process of being renovated; which is long overdue. There were several rooms being upgraded and more than half of the hotel should be completed by this summer. The staff was wonderful to deal with and were professional in every regard. It is a shame that such a large chain would allow one of it's high traffic locations to be run down to such a shameful state. Maybe next time I'll think twice about staying at the Ho-Jo.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ledge4131
Fargo, North Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed for a concert up in Grand Forks. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. The front desk staff was great! We enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning. Overall great stay!

1 Thank ChristineBoprie
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

I was in town for a family friend's wedding reception which was held at the banquette facilities in the hotel and it was AWESOME! First of all, the bar staff on Friday was excellent and attentive with much personality and luckly they were there Saturday, the night of reception also working in the wedding bar. They were much faster then the hotel lounge but the lounge was also full and still had good service. The whole wedding and bar staff were verry friendly and accomidating (maybe they should run the front desk too....they are not to personable up there). Noone I talked to had anything but great things to say about the reception. The food was also amazing. The kid buffet was a great idea would have never thought of doing that but worked well. I have never wrote reviews before but my weekend was so nice i had to pay appreciation to they staff that deserve it. THANK YOU HOWARD JOHNSON STAFF

1 Thank dizylizy
Winnipeg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Afer reading reviews of this hotel we were a little nervous to stay here. Hotel is very large and has a large pool/kiddie pool area. Our room was good, nothing special but it was comfortable and clean. My only complaint would be the free breakfast in the morning, there was very little selection and it didnt look very clean to me, so we didnt eat it. But overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank wpgtraveler
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

The room was very clean - great shower! Friendly, helpful staff

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank janejo_7
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We booked our 2 queen room for two nights. For starters the beds are not queens they are doubles. The second level where our room was located was rediculously hot and humid. The air conditioning unit in our room had no effect... We tried calling the front desk and was repeatedly hung up on. On the long walk to the front desk I ran into a hotel staff person and advised them of our problem. They said they would put in a work order request and someone would look at it tomorrow... So we filled our ice bucket and sink with ice and repeatedly soaked towels in ice water to cool off our daughter so she could sleep in the 30 degree celcius plus temperature room. I found that it was much cooler outside and wished we brought a tent to sleep in rather than this hotel.

Now let's talk about the pool area... No such renovation has been done. You need shoes to walk in the pool area as the floors and pathways are all crumbled. It feels like walking down a gravel path and thought my feet were going to bleed and be cut open. The play structure is in disrepair as only half of the water guns and spouts are working. My daughter and other kids would wait a good 5 minutes for the bucket to fill, they eventually gave up waiting and would go down the ice cold slide.

So our second night was no better, the air conditioning unit is apparently working fine (blowing warm air) and our room is still 30+ degrees and it's only 20 degrees or so outside. We asked to switch to a different room, but the staff could not accommodate us. Apparently we're not the only dummies staying at this hotel (all booked up) with an empty parking lot and little to no one around.

I've stayed at other Howard Johnson hotels and they were much better. This hotel needs to be shutdown and brought up to today's standards. Save your family the trouble and book at another hotel.

• Stayed August 2011