All reviews karaoke bar main restaurant beach bar asian restaurant st vlas private beach animation team plenty of sunbeds evening entertainment a la carte restaurants lovely hotel walk in shower welcome drink sea view indoor pool pizza plenty of wardrobe space
Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

Overall a great week stay here.

The hotel is immaculate and beautiful, the rooms large and well kept. All staff were friendly and courteous to us and overall we would definitely recommend. A few pros and cons;

Pros -
- Beautiful grounds and pool area - swim up bar is fun!
- Lots of food choice, with plenty of themed restaurants. Whilst not al la carte as such, they did provide great food and a change from the main hotel
- Lovely, helpful staff
- Great spa - my partner and I had two 45 minute treatments including massage and bubble mask for 100 Lev each (around £50) which for 90 mins is far cheaper than UK prices
- Gym area - lacked a bit in equipment but great to have
- Karaoke bar - great fun although would have been nicer if it had lastest longer and later
- Nice rooms with lovely hot showers! (No bath)
- Hand sanitizer outside restaurant, a nice touch
- Onsite shop for any emergencies but it is really expensive
- Sunbeds anytime of day! What a luxury! Went down at 9am and hundreds of sunbeds lay free. Almost unheard of on holidays like these.

Cons -
- Pillows and towels in rooms are cheap and thin. Although not a major issue, it would have made use of our room a lot more comfortable.
- The drinks werentt great. No coke light here or other soft fizzy drinks that are sugar free. Coke zero is the only option but it tastes very different to the usual. The rosé was like vinegar and the cocktails lacked finesse.
- Paying for safe not great considering all inclusive but not the first time it has happened to me in four star AI hotels.
- The resort - without doubt the biggest downside. I put this last as I understand this is not the hotel's fault as such and the hotel is tucked away outside of sunny beach. But sunny beach is a dive. Unclean, unhappy horses dragging carriages, sex shops everywhere with grotty roadsides. Not somewhere I would ever want or choose to explore, especially if I had come with children. My partner and I have been to some of the most deprived areas in the world and enjoyed it more. Nessebar was ok but nothing special, repeated souvenirs in every shop. Wouldn't return to this hotel on this basis. To somewhere else in Bulgaria though of course!

Unfortunately I did contract gastroenteritis on the last day of our holiday. We had eaten at the grill the night before and I woke at 5am with a nasty surprise. I was really sick and couldn't eat or drink on the last day of our holiday, which was a great shame. Obviously I cannot be 100% sure that I contracted this by eating there but we didn't interact with anyone else really the prior day so I cant see how else I would have got it. It wouldn't put me off the hotel as this happens in many places, just maybe avoid the Greek mixed grill hah! It's the only thing I ate different to my partner on that evening.

Anyway, a great holiday overall. Lots of happy people with relaxed faces.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annie S
Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Accurate photographs and description online of the hotel and facilities. Immaculately clean. Friendly and professional English speaking staff.

Wide variety of food for an All Inclusive package. The speciality restaurants helped to change it up a lot. Bulgarian restaurant may not suit everyone’s taste but was something to experience nonetheless. Grill restaurant and Italian were very good. There is something for the children to eat/would cater for fussy eaters.

All rooms seemed to have a sea view which is great as the hotel is forward facing onto the beach. Cleaning staff were very friendly and acknowledged you every morning.

Entertainment was interesting. The team works very hard, especially the entertainments coordinator who puts his heart and soul into it. Entertainment gradually got better as the week went on, to the point that we were actually disappointed we were going to be missing their version of Grease the day after we flew home.

Kids pool was great which was situated next to the children’s club. Good for people getting day passes as it was cheaper and better quality than the aqua hotels near by.

Perfect holiday if you just want to relax. If you’re not a pool-lover, this area of Bulgaria is not for you. Beach was lovely but surrounding area is not ideal for tourists. The country is very poor and didn’t fill us with confidence to explore. Was told to be aware on public transport, especially buses, due to pick pockets and to also be wary of taxi drivers charging extortionate fairs. Our rep gave us a tip which was to confirm fare before getting in the taxi.

Khan’s Tent is a must, but only for the entertainment. Food and drink leave a lot to be desired and wasn’t suitable for children. The entertainment alone made it worth the price paid.

The only irritation about the whole holiday was the travel back home and waiting time at Bourgas airport.

We booked this holiday last minute with First Choice, paying just £1,400 for two people and I would advise anybody to book it last minute getting great value for money. Would not pay what they’re asking for a year in advance, as I feel that it is excessive for what you’re getting as it is not a tourist holiday, just great for a pool and beach holiday.

2  Thank Daisy L
Reviewed September 10, 2018 via mobile

This was our 3rd visit to this hotel in 2 years. The service, food, facilities and staff were again all excellent. We would highly recommend it because of these reasons and also it is central to all entertainment and restaurants in Sunny Beach. Give it a visit and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul W
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

Overall this was a great holiday . We travelled with 4 children (17,17,9,7) and have been to a variety of all inclusive holidays around the world.

Hotel- standout hotel around sunny beach, it is clean and always looks amazing. Grounds and pool are well kept and staff are friendly and helpful. You are always able to get a chair , sun bed or drink.

Restaurants- the Buffett is probably the best we have had with a lot of variety and freshness. Where it is let down is the themed restaurants which again serve a buffet menu. Would be really nice to see a la Carte menus.

Entertainment - was good but I have seen better quality. The nighttime entertainment was limited at the main stage with an half hour kids disco and then 40 min show. The effort was good from the team but could have been better. The karaoke bar was a nice touch but karaoke started at 11pm and finished at midnight before it really ever started

Kids club - limited hours for young ones but my 7 year old really enjoyed it when she was there . My 9 year old boy didn’t and there wasn’t much to keep him entertained. A nice touch was the staff they allocated to keeping the older boys busy. A lot of the time this involved just hanging out playing games but was something I haven’t seen hotels do before

They have a games area with table football, air hockey and pool but you have to buy tokens . This is a Shame as it should be part of all inclusive.

We visited old Nessebar which was nice and we had a night at Khans tent. This is highly recommended and a great night.

Our tui Rep Dobrin was really helpful and helped arrange a few birthday surprises for us.

All in all a great hotel and worth a 4 star . A few tweaks and this could easily be a 5 star

Date of stay: September 2018
2  Thank davidar81
Reviewed September 3, 2018 via mobile

We had a glorious 11 night stay in this fabulous hotel. Only 2 things let it down for us; the towel attendant was rude on more than one occasion and wouldn’t allow us to change our towels when we had perfectly legitimate reasons however we raised this as a concern and the hotel were very quick to apologise and send complimentary drinks to the room to make amends. The other thing was the lack of breakfast facilities when we had booked a trip and needed an early getaway. Despite these 2 minor issues we were thrilled with the hotel facilities, location was stunning and our little girl loved the pools and swim up bar!!! Riu should be commended on providing such high quality service on such a vast scale. Fab hotel and we’d definitely return. Dobrin was very helpful. Thank you!

3  Thank rebeccarichards2