All reviews a la carte restaurants snack bar gala night animation team rose petals food is high quality kebab aqua gym cocktail games white band indoor pool was heated second week water polo balkan holidays sea view kids food mini disco
Reviewed June 3, 2018

We stayed at Arabella Grifid for 2 nights. We go to Bulgarian seaside almost every year for the last 10 years. So we are used with the best and the bad from Bulgarian hotels.
We arrived at 12.30 am, but they were firm about making check in at 14.00. They gave us a paper for the hotel’s parking, without telling us about the costs and about other possibilities. At checkout we found out that for 2days parking we should pay 40 leva. Just down the hotel there is an underground parking (the hotel parking is outside) with just 12 leva / day.
We were given an upgrade to our rooms (we were 4 families). We paid for double rooms and we were upgraded to apartments. But even if we had sea view, because we stayed at the 2nd floor we just saw the hotel in front of us (very close to our balcony).
Good points: cleaning, close to center and beach, private beach. The food was good.
Every time we stayed on Bulgarian hotels or in another country if we enter with lunch we leave with breakfast or if we enter with dinner we leave with lunch. Because in this case we entered with dinner (or pool bar snacks) we calculate that we will leave after lunch. We had children in our group and it was better for them to eat before leaving. Unfortunately at leaving we were told that lunch is not included (so even if we paid 2 nights we only had 1 lunch). This was a bad surprise for us. I contact our tourist operator and also they didn’t know about this. If I pay 2 nights I expect to have 2 x breakfast, lunch and dinner. After we asked about it the receptionist told us that they will make an exception for us. What from our point of view was paid and was fair mindedness for them was an exception.
In the offer from hotel was included also kids club and mini disco. We didn’t have mini disco at all. And we didn’t see any animation team for kids.
Because of lack of communication about the services (parking & lunch) I think they should improve the communication’s standards.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view you should ask for upper levels
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
GrifidArabella, Guest Relations Manager at Grifid Hotel Arabella, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2018

Dear Roxana,

thank you very much for your review. We are very sorry for the misunderstanding about the parking. In all websites and tourist catalogs there is a information, that the parking is a payable service, as well as at the entrance of the hotel before the barrier. In the most of the hotels in the world check in start at 14.00h. and check out at 12.00h. In Grifid hotels the accommodation begin also at 14.00h. with snack(sandwich,salads, fruits,duner,hot-dog and etc.) and finish with breakfast.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2018 via mobile

Hello,
I was on 1 st of May at Arabella, we stayed many Times, all was perfect like usually, excepting the early checkin tax(a new rule) and parking tax, not so cheap, early checkin about 10 EUR and parking 10 eur/Day...

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
GrifidArabella, Guest Relations Manager at Grifid Hotel Arabella, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2018

Dear Mihai,

thank you very much for your review. In many hotels in the world (in all Grifid hotels too) early check-in is a payable service. We hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed April 21, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.I have to say that I was very surprised with cleaness of the rooms and the hotel itself.The staff was very friendly and helpful.The hotel has three pools, two outside and one inside which is great for the cold period. The hotel has 4 restaurants, italian, bulgarian, Japanese and a buffet, and I have to say that the food was delicious. For the bulgarian, Italian and Japanese restaurant you have to book as soon as you arrive to the hotel as the tables are limited. An inconvenient which I found to this hotel are the lifts.There are 3 in total and you have to wait a lot for it if you stay on the higher levels of the hotel.I think the number of the lifts is too small for the size of the hotel, and also I think they are no synchronized very well, so better to use the stair is quicker.
The location of the hotel is very good, is actually very close to the beach. Another inconvenient that I found is that you have to pay the parking separate if you are going with the car.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
GrifidArabella, Guest Relations Manager at Grifid Hotel Arabella, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

Dear Marian,

thank you for your review. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 23, 2017

I stayed here for a week in July 2017 with my wife and 10 year old daughter and I couldn't really fault the place other than a couple of minor points.

Our room was clean and spacious and had a good sized balcony. The bedding was comfortable and I got a good night's sleep.

The hotel was nicely laid out with a large pool divided by a bridge close to the main part of the hotel. A further walk towards the back of the site enables you to reach another smaller pool by the snack bar.

Near the main pool is the entrance to an indoor pool which is also on the ground floor. It is a good size and warmer than the outside pools. I tried it out but preferred to use the larger outside pools. In colder weather, though, the indoor pool is undoubtedly a nice feature.

It was usually possible to get sunbeds by the pool but during particularly busy times it could be difficult for us to get 3 close together. There was a lot of sunbed-reserving with towels and, whilst this was meant to be policed, there was little evidence of that and, to be fair, it is a difficult problem to combat.

The hotel building itself was quite high so this meant that there was usually a large area of the grounds in the sun and a large area in the shade. If you want the sun all the time that you would have to move around quite a lot.

Most of the people staying at the hotel seemed to be either French or German. I think that we were the only Brits there but that wasn't a problem at all. A lot of the staff, though, who spoke perfectly good English, made an assumption that we were German.

The food was excellent. It was buffet style for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a good variety on offer. There were more specialised restaurants on offer but they needed to be pre-booked and I did not bother. I was only there for a week but the food did not get repetitive at all. I can honestly say that I looked forward to every meal.

A couple of days I tried out the snack bar during the afternoon where you can get pizzas, kebabs and the like so that made a nice change.

The alcoholic drinks on offer were ok with a few half decent cocktails. The bar itself was (on the outside) pretty small but despite that service was quite good on the whole. We never had to wait too long. There didn't seem to be any waiter service by the pool.

There was also a large lounge area within the internal part of the bar but that wasn't very busy in the summer because generally everyone preferred to be outside.

I didn't go to the evening entertainment so cannot comment on it but there were plenty of activities on offer during the day (e.g aquarobics, water polo etc.) and they weren't too intrusive.

It's a short walk over the road to the beach. Had we wanted to, we would have had to pay for sunbeds on the beach which was a shame because the hotel could have made them available for free. We had a couple of really good afternoons at the beach. In July we found the water to be lovely and warm.

The hotel itself is pretty well in the middle of Golden Sands. The resort was full of bars and restaurants and was a pleasant place to stroll around in the evening.

Taxis were cheap and easy to access near the hotel. There's also a bus stop which is about a 10 minute walk away which was convenient for getting into Varna pretty cheaply. During my week I visited Verna, the local rock monastery and also took a taxi to Balchik where I visited the Summer Palace and gardens that were probably my highlight of the week.

All in all then, I had a lovely week in Bulgaria. My daughter liked the hotel and enjoyed using the pools (which made the week that much more relaxing) and I thought that this hotel was a really good all rounder that I would be happy to return to and definitely happy to recommend.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephen B
GrifidArabella, Guest Relations Manager at Grifid Hotel Arabella, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2017

Dear Stephen,
thank you for choosing hotel Arabella and for your review.
We hope that we will see you again next year.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

The hotel was really nice with mainly French, not many English, speedy check in, lovely rooms, good food although could be hotter at times, the wine is watery other drinks are fine. We had no problems with the hotel although changed rooms for a better outlook we didn't like sitting on the balcony overlooking the car park and kitchens, we didn't unpack for 2 days as had to wait to move and had to pay (apparently the room booked was only a basic twin/double not a side sea or sea view),but could not say the same for Balkan Holidays, the rep was useless we went to the welcome meeting that lasted all of 10 mins (he obviously had somewhere better to be!)he didn't want to deal with any queries saying 'speak to reception' he was like the invisible man as we never saw him after that and we will never book with them again!! If you have a white band (everyone other than English/Balkan had yellow bands) do not assume it's because you're English it's actually because the beach facilities are NOT included...we were not told this by Balkan and were not given an option to include this on our booking so if you like the beach as we do you will have to pay!! This was the first and will be the last time we book with Balkan holidays. I don't think we would return to the resort/hotel as we like to try different destinations.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
GrifidArabella, Guest Relations Manager at Grifid Hotel Arabella, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2017

Dear Sue,
thank you for your review. We are glad that you are satisfied with your stay at Grifid Arabella.
Hopefully you will come one day.

Kind regards,