“Ok good location”
Review of The Outpost Motel

The Outpost Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cardston
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We stayed here for two nights because if was close to the entrance to both Glacier and Waterton Lake. For this price in the US we would have had to stay 2 hours away and this hotel was only about 30 minutes from both. The trip thru customs was never a problem nor was there a line. There are many signs in the room and in the office telling you what to do and how management only wants to see you when necessary. We had a one of the new rooms with the kitchenette. It was dark but mostly clean. One of the sheets was stained but there was an extra one to replace it with. You also have to sign a waiver saying they are not responsible for items getting stolen from your room. We had never seen that before but just to be safe we removed everything from our room even though we were staying two nights. We also stayed at the Flamingo across the street for one night and liked that a little better. There isn't much for early breakfast in the town but we found the Subway in town opens at 7am and the people in there were real friendly.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
MotelOutpost, Manager at The Outpost Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

I think it is worth pointing out that we do have prices that can not be compared to 'state-side' in and around Glacier, so if you have a passport, it is worth crossing over into Canada and staying with us!

Thanks for your patronage!

Reviewed 1 July 2017

Comfortable and quiet. A bit dated but there were no issues. Good value. The town is a bit sparce on restaurants and you can't buy liquor anywhere in town. There were 10 of us on motorcycles staying here for one night and no one had any complaints.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monthlystays

Thanks for the kind words....( they seem few and far between with the people who take the time to type up reviews ... LOL

We are working ion the dated thing.... retroffited every room with new furniture recently and have renovated 15 out of 25 rooms, so far..... things are looking up!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Room was clean and big enough with clean linens but the bathroom certainly didn't have much privacy since the door and frame didn't properly fit. When a family pays over 100.00 for a room during low season, we expect it to be decent but that was not the case here.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank tlkehler

FYI, June 22 is our high season, you got a steal of a deal!

Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

The room was plenty big. The linens were clean and in good condition. The bed was comfortable. The microwave and fridge were clean and in good working order.

As you can see by the photos I have included, the space above and on the side of the doors allows for anyone to be able to look into your room even when the door is shut and locked with the deadbolt. This was the case for all of the rooms in my corridor. The bathroom sink was old and chipped and the handle on the faucet wasn't attached and came right off. The shower corners are yucky and black. One of the lightbulbs above the bathroom sink was broken with wires sticking out. The guest laundry room was stinky and dirty. The hot water in the shower needed to run for a full three minutes before it actually became warm. The online posting for the motel amenities is fairly accurate, but the sign in front of the motel is not. There is no hot tub, no exercise room (under renovation), no phone (at least in my room)

I am bracing myself for a lengthy reply from the owner/manager as he has done on other reviews. It appears as though he does not want the motel's issues to be posted online. He wants issues to be discussed with him directly. He has said that complaining online changes nothing. I, however, am not interested in whether he changes the hotel since I would not consider returning anyway. The point of this review is to inform potential guests of what they might encounter during a stay at the Outpost Motel. I can see by the pictures that there are some better rooms (or were at some point in time), but mine wasn't one of them. For $68 USD, I did not expect a suite, but I did expect that you wouldn't be able to see into my room with the door shut.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank ANels_MT
MotelOutpost, Manager at The Outpost Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

I am quite happy to respond to reviews online, it just aggravates me when people waste their time ranting online about little things (like broken faucets), rather than coming to tell me about it, so I can fix it.... and I can assure you that it really does not change anything as far as how many people stay here... WHY? Because we are the cheapest place to stay within 200 miles of Waterton National Park, and that's why people choose us.... the funny thing is, is that its only the odd person that feels that it is necessary to to write a 2 page essay on what they feel that they should get for their measly $68 bucks...

What I want to know, is where does everyone think the money comes from to pay for all these little fixes? Money dont grow on trees, and for $68 bucks it dont leave much for us to replace $10,000 dollar signs after we are finished feeding the kids..... just saying

YES, The rooms are basic, but CLEAN, that's our primary focus, the lights function, but might be missing the odd cover.... not the end of the world, we are trying to renovate rooms, and so we have little time to worry about what might be wrong with our cheapest rooms.... (which btw will not be renovated until all the other rooms are done, so if you want a decent room, dont rent our cheapest ones...LOL)

You get what you pay for, and if you want to pay $350 a night for a room I would be happy to give you the number for Waterton Lakes Lodge....

Meanwhile, As far as the open space on the doors go, it is something that concerned me as well, however there is a reason for it... with old boiler systems that have baseboard heating, there has to be proper air flow to prevent areas from freezing up, and those spaces on the door are necessary for that air flow.... rest assured that someone would have to be 8 feet tall to look through those open spaces at the top of the doors, or carry a ladder up the stairs to get up high enough to see through the cracks, so your concern is really more of a misconception than a genuine complaint, but I will be sure to send a letter to the engineers that designed the building back in 1972, and let them know that you are not happy with their way of thinking.... LOL

The faucet has been corrected, the re-circulation pump (for instant hot water) is on back order, (but I expect to get it this week), the new signage has been ordered (thank God), and the guest laundry is next to the boiler room, so it smells like a boiler room... but rest assured, if you use laundry detergent your clothes come out smelling just fine! LOL

I hope this clears up some of the items that compelled you to waste a large portion of your day telling the world about your frustrations.... but as long as you feel better, then I have a reason to wake up tomorrow and forge ahead.... LOL

Reviewed 9 May 2017

We were celebrating our anniversary and because we had stayed at this establishment several years ago and enjoyed our stay very much, I booked a room online. When we arrived we were told that the room we reserved was on the second floor. I am elderly and suffer from arthritis and asked for a ground floor. The cost was an extra $10.
We had no choice. It was too late to cancel without forfeiting the total fee. The room was a huge disappointment!
The entry door was poorly fitted and light showed between the door and frame. The room was cramped with two queen beds. The bathroom window was old, poorly fitting and didn't lock and the blind was broken. We hung toilet paper over the holes in the blind for privacy and hoped that no one would test the window.
The room itself was reasonably clean albeit very shabby and worn. The beds were poorly made, the sheets were wrinkled which led me to suspect that they hadn't been changed from the previous guests.
To add insult to injury, when I booked the room there was an indication that there was only one room left to rent. I checked a couple of times throughout the night and in the morning and there were only half a dozen rooms in use.
The picture in the online ad are obviously from an earlier time and are completely misleading!
If this were the only motel in Cardston I would drive back to Lethbridge than stay in this slummy place.
I definitely would not recommend this motel to anyone!

Room Tip: Choose a different motel
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank enalyu95

Happy Anniversary!

You had a choice.... Its not our fault if you are too cheap to pay a measly $10 for a nicer room...LOL

If you insist on paying for the cheapest room, in Southern Alberta, then you must expect to get what you paid for...LOL

For the rest of the customers who want to look at what we have available, I recommend that you book one of our kitchenettes, as those are the ones that we have been renovating, and they cost a little more, but they are the nicest rooms in town, BAR NONE...

I will be updating our website to reflect the new pics as soon as I get the opportunity, I have just been too busy renovating rooms!

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

No hot water, no privacy, Ill fitting door so anyone who walks by your room can have a peek inside even when it's closed and locked. The owner/manager cares very little about anything. Sheer curtains for no privacy and you're up with the sun. You're better off in a tent. On top of all that, is overpriced!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Ian B

I was just at the dump, and it doesnt look anything like this motel.... LOL

As far as the open space on the doors go, it is something that concerned me as well, however there is a reason for it... with old boiler systems that have baseboard heating, there has to be proper air flow to prevent areas from freezing up, and those spaces on the door are necessary for that air flow.... rest assured that someone would have to be 8 feet tall to look through those cracks, or carry a ladder up the stairs to get up high enough to see through the cracks, so your concern is really more of a misconception than a genuine complaint.

I will be sure to write a letter to the engineers that built this building back in 1972 and let them know that you are unhappy with their way of thinking! LOL

The curtains are being replaced this week, so that will no longer be an issue!

Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The owner was attentive and friendly. We were surprised, because he offered us a free upgrade to sleep at honeymoon suite. There was a jacuzzi, fireplace, fridge and microwave. Good quality towels, sheets and pillows. Room was cozy, clean and well maintained. I don't know about other rooms, if they are good, but it seems the owner is making improvements.
I recommend and plan to stay there again.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MonicaJorge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cardston
0.7 km away
0.3 km away
Cobblestone Manor
Cobblestone Manor
#2 of 3 in Cardston

Been to The Outpost Motel? Share your experiences!