All reviews weight loss life changing steam room take home work hard hot tub returned home rancho la puerta daily life infrared sauna holistic approach new friends two week stay supportive staff far exceeded my expectations organic meals lost lbs
Reviewed April 29, 2018

I have now been to Mountain Trek twice and for me, nothing compares. Every detail is perfect, from the food to the service to the challenge. I especially appreciate the individual attention to any concerns (such as a bruised foot), and really like the option to head down to the hot springs each evening. It's a perfect reset in a breath taking setting, full of interesting and caring people.

Date of stay: October 2017
Reviewed February 1, 2018

Awesome program, location and staff. Felt like I had showered my inside , so clean and wholesome
I spent a week in November with Mountain Trek at Rancho La Puerta and thoroughly enjoyed the program. It was rigorous, well managed and well supported in a lovely setting. Kirk and Cathy and the local guides took great care of us from blisters to food allergies, to filling water bladders, it was never too much for them to help and support. The food was healthy, tasty and beautifully presented. The program is highly scheduled, from sunrise yoga to after dinner cardio/strength classes but there is time for massages , hot tubs all leading to great sleep.
At the end , I felt clean both inside and outside, and loved the feeling. . I highly recommend this program. Shaheera B

Date of stay: November 2017
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed December 20, 2017 via mobile

My husband I attended a week program at the Mountain Trek Rancho la Puerta program in Mexico. I had been on the BC program before. Hikes are challenging, lectures are informative, food is very good and filling. Kirk and Kathy, who run the program, are fun and motivating. You will definitely leave leaner, stronger and healthier. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: November 2017
2  Thank Janice D
Reviewed November 26, 2017

My husband and I went for two weeks to Mountain Trek at the end of August 2017. Our main goal in going was for the hiking in an attempt to improve our fitness. We both work out with a weight trainer on a regular basis and considered ourselves in reasonable shape. I wanted to lose about 5-7 lbs that I couldn't shake over the past 2 years. We have our own business and spend most of our time on computers or reading or traveling globally on business, but we never had the time we wanted for challenging exercise. So rather than another wonderful vacation at the beach or somewhere exotic we decided to try a fitness program in a beautiful part of North America we'd never been to before. This was our chance. We were not disappointed!

I will be honest and say it wasn't easy for us to get up at 6a.m. every morning. But we sometimes still fondly say to each other "It's 6 o'clock. Time to get up" which was the wake up "call" we got every morning along with a knock on the door from the guide for the day. Sunrise yoga was wonderful as we stretched and used muscles we didn't know we had. It was also a challenge and we love a challenge! The food was healthy and very attractive to me. My husband had a harder time as he grew up not eating a lot of vegetables in his diet and getting used to a large plate with lots of salad and small portion of protein was not easy. Sometimes he'd try to skip a meal but the staff would chase him down to make sure he ate. He hadn't aimed to lose weight as we didn't think at 162 lbs he needed to but at the end of the two weeks we both had lost 10 lbs!! We are feeling more energetic and youthful than we have in many years so I guess we didn't need those 10 lbs. And I have my figure back that I had when I was in my 30s. We loved the steam room and sauna facilities which along with the 3 massages a week kept us from getting stiff and sore with all the hiking. Your body is put to the test, then pampered and looked after. A great combination.

Two months later we are still appreciating the life changing experience we had at Mountain Trek. I didn't miss the caffeine while there but have added one cup of coffee a day back into my life since we returned home. I love wine and find I can live quite nicely having a glass 3-4 times a week rather than every night with dinner. I learned a lot about diet there too and now make much healthier meals with less red meat and more vegetables (yes I know the staff will be happy to read this:) But walking and exercise is still an important part of our week even if it's not in such beautiful mountain scenery.

Finally I have to mention the fantastic staff. Every one of them are dedicated to this lifestyle not just to their jobs. I found out that the guides go through the program when they are hired to make sure they understand just what the guests are experiencing. Of course the guides are very experienced hikers and some were park rangers or staff in their former careers. I would begin to mention names but there are so many that it would take a long time. But Kirk and Cathy are the main two managers and Kirk's son, Simon, is a trip! Kirk and Simon love to hike barefoot at least once a week on some of the less rocky trails. But honestly you feel like each one of them is a friend and part of your family by the time you leave. They also know so much about you and your diet, whether you have trouble sleeping or relaxing and also teach how to manage stress. The lectures are definitely worth attending and I learnt more in them than in any biology class I ever was enrolled in.

So will we go back? You bet. Even if we keep our weight where it is now we want to do those amazing and heart-rate level raising hikes in the mountains again and do them better than last time. There is always a new level challenge at Mountain Trek and it's the best money we ever spent on a vacation!! Without doubt! Thanks to you all there and we wish you a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Room tip: Only negative is the rooms and especially the bathrooms are fairly small for two people. But you don't spend much time in your room.
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meredith F
Reviewed November 25, 2017

My experience at Mountain Trek far exceeded my expectations.
The program is very regimented which left very little time to think... which was a good thing. One of the best things about it is that you have no choices-- everything is planned out for you. You wake up at 6am and just keep going. The meals were fantastic. Delicious, organic meals but of course the portions were small, which is expected. No salt, no sugar, very little dairy, no gluten and no caffeine. I was missing coffee but I made sure to stop drinking caffeine a week before my trip so that I wouldn't get headaches. The hiking was challenging. No matter what level group you were in it was strenuous. You do what you have to do mentally to keep going. The guides were great- knowledgable, super friendly and motivating. It was nice to come back from hiking and get into the hot tub. The toughest part about each day was going to the fitness class after dinner when you're already spent from a full day. Yet the classes were high energy, fun and exhilarating. It felt good to go beyond what you would imagine yourself capable of doing. The camaraderie that develops almost immediately is an important factor of what makes the overall program so enjoyable. They really have something special here and I feel fortunate to have experienced it and proud of myself for taking the step to sign up and actually doing it. I lost weight and gained muscle and continue to do so now that I'm home. I've incorporated a lot of what they teach but it takes discipline and time to make it all a habit.

Date of stay: October 2017