Review Highlights
What a trip

Wonderfull Kayak trip around basecamp. On our 1st day we already saw orcas and humpback whales from... read more

Reviewed October 24, 2018
Ivar1970
Kapellen, Belgium
Outstanding company with focus on safety and enjoyment - loved it

We nearly booked a tour with another company but so glad we went with Kingfisher. We also booked... read more

Reviewed October 5, 2018
NewcastleKiwigirl
Newcastle, Australia

All reviews base camp haida gwaii johnstone strait hanson island pre trip bird life bald eagles cheesecake dry bags telegraph cove amazing trip fresh fruit black bear resort single kayaks food was amazing experienced kayakers every night
Reviewed October 19, 2015

We had a lovely 4 day kayaking and grizzly bear watching holiday in July 2015 with Kingfisher Wildreness Adventures. Our two guides, Kelly and Dell, were fantastic! They attended to all of our needs and made sure that we were always safe in our kayaks! On our final night they even surprised us with fresh fruits and chocolate fondue on Sunset Point! We will definitely come back...we were about one week early and didn't get to see the Orca whales on our kayaking travels, but saw loads of Humpback whales, eagles, sea lions, seals, and amazing natural beauty! Thanks, Kingfisher for a wonderful holiday!

Date of experience: July 2015
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2015

Hi Lynda,

Thank you for.taking the time to write a review. I am happy to know you enjoyed your base camp kayak trip with Kelly and Del. I will be sure to pass your comments along to them.

We look forward to seeing you an another adventure some time soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2015

Had a great trip with Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures! Guides were awesome and food was amazing! My sister and I did a 4 day kayak and 1 day grizzly bear trip and we say a ton of hump back whales. It was a great experience and we will definitely be going back to Kingfisher Wilderness again!

Date of experience: July 2015
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2015

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear that you and your sister had a great time. We look forward to having you both join us on another adventure soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2015

I went on the 4 day Orca Base Camp trip in 2014. It was so amazing that I returned for the 8 day southern Haida Gwaii trip in 2015. Kingfisher provides the camping and kayaking gear. They also supply the food and the guides do all the food preparation. The food is excellent. One evening we had chocolate fondue on the shores of the Pacific rainforest. That has to be one of the most beautiful dining rooms in the world.
The guides were knowledgeable and made a real effort to ensure that our expedition was enjoyable and safe. I highly recommend Kingfisher for kayak expeditions. They operate a high quality service and super friendly too!
Having said that, I'm glad I read the information on the website and in the guest handbook with diligence ahead of time, so I knew how to prepare. The trips didn't fit into the "extreme sports" category but I was glad I was in decent physical shape and had rainforest-friendly clothing i.e. layers for warmth and quick-drying.
I want to thank Kingfisher for trips of a lifetime, but also want to thank the Haida Nation for allowing me to be a guest in their pristine forests and waters.

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your tip about reading the guest handbook closely before the trip to ensure you are fully prepared.

After two trips in two years we hope to have you join us on another adventure soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2015

Our experience with Kingfisher was fabulous and our guides, Del Heal and Pete Wainwright, were more than amazing! We joined our 2 adult daughters and 4 others (from Germany & Australia) for Kingfisher's 6 day Orca Water Explorer on August 30, 2015. The equipment provided by Kingfisher was top of the line (kayaks, skirts, paddles, tents, sleeping bags, thermarests, etc.) and the food, which was freshly prepared by our guides, was beyond anything we ever expected! We enjoyed salmon poached in wine, fresh apple crisp baked in individual cups, freshly baked carrot cake, daily appetizers, quinoa salad, chocolate fondue with fresh fruit on the ocean shoreline, etc. Del and Pete were also extremely careful with their pre-trip shopping to ensure that peanut products were not on any ingredient list for the safety of one of the guests! These young men, Del & Pete, began their day before any of the guests were up and ended their day long after most of us were asleep. Due to our guides knowledge and passion for the area, we were able to experience so many things from First Nations historical sites, to Orcas, to rare shoreline creatures. This trip, for us, was perfect; however, you must be aware that you will be sleeping in a tent on a thin thermarest, bathroom facilities are typically, the great outdoors, you will brush your teeth and wash on the shoreline, and you may experience multiple days of torrential rain. For us, this was a perfect way to start our retirement - with wonderful people from around the globe enjoying the great outdoors! Use Kingfisher's packing list religiously! If it is cool or rains, Merino wool is ABSOLUTELY essential! We would love to do this trip again and highly recommend it to others. There may be 'cheaper' tours out there, but certainly not better!

Date of experience: September 2015
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2015

Hi Brooke,

It was great to have you and your family join us this summer. Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. Hopefully we will see you back on one of our adventures some time soon.

I will be sure to pass your comments along to Del and Pete.

For others reading the review, the trip reviewed here is one of our "Explorer" tours that moves from one temporary camp to another throughout the trip with everything fitting into our kayaks, unlike our base camp trips that spend the entire time at one permanent camp. The Explorer trips are great and really immerse you into the wilderness but they do "rough" it a bit more compared to the base camp trips where we have larger tents, thicker mattresses, and a more developed site.

Reviewed September 26, 2015 via mobile

We did the 4 day Orca and Grizzly Bears tour as my sister wanted to see wild Orcas. It was a brilliant experiance.
Our guides Kelly and Ali were really good and fun and had alot of patience with trying to teach me how to Kayak, it didnt come easy but I always felt safe. Great cooks too, all the food was delicious, especially the Salmon and the cheesecake.
Loads of wildlife including a VERY close encounter with a surfacing Humpback Whale that took us all by surprise.
Id do it again in a heartbeat.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank DJH1981
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2015

Hi DJH1981,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I am glad to hear that you and your sister had such a good time, I will be sure to pass your comments on to Allie and Kelly. Hopefully we will see you on one of our other tours sometime soon.