Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tour areas include Johnstone Strait and Nuchatlitz Inlet on Vancouver Island, Gwaii Haanas National Park on Haida Gwaii, and the Great Bear Rainforest on BC's central coast. No experience is necessary for most tours and family friendly departures available.
Reviewed October 29, 2016 via mobile

I did the 6 day Orca Explorer in August. I was first of all incredibly grateful to the boss Andrew, who drove out of his way to pick me up due to a missed bus connection. Above and beyond kindness and very interesting to chat to. The Black Bear hotel resort where we stayed on the night before and final night after the tour was just the ticket and had a great spa to hang out in ease sore muscles after 5 days of kayaking and carrying heavy gear. In terms of the tour, it blew me away from the moment we got on the kayaks to the end at Telegraph cove. The scenery stunning, the wildlife plentiful and unrelenting. Every corner we turned there were balled headed eagles, sea lions, Humpbacks and seals. We even saw Orcas on our first day. Our guides Darren and Renee were amazing. They took care of us really well and made unbelievable meals 3 times a day that suited everyone's dietary needs. This tour however is not for the faint hearted. There is quite a lot of carrying of heavy kayaks on slippery rocks, toilet facilities are under a rock in the tideline and camping is remote. The weather in August was perfect - thick mist in the morning cleared for brilliant blue skies. The sea was perfectly flat. My favourite part of the trip was stopping for lunch; always stunning spots on little islands, great for wildlife watching. I would thoroughly recommend this trip and the 2/3 day one would be equally good, with basecamps and toilet facilities. Don't hesitate, book it and book on to the grizzly bear tour too - I wish I had. Factor in 50cd cab ride to leaving point early in the morning though. My only criticism is of this and that transport could be provided, given that the tour itself isn't cheap. Telegraph cove is really worth a visit - it's a stunning fishing port with great cafes and the whale museum is fascinating.

2  Thank Sophie M
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2017

Hi Sophie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. i am glad you enjoyed your trip and I will pass your comments along to Renee and Darren. I hope to see you on another trip sometime soon.

All reviews
"experienced kayakers"
in 3 reviews
"every night"

Reviewed September 26, 2016

We had an awesome time kayaking out of our base camp on Hanson Island. The seas were rough on our first attempt to land with our water taxi so we had to go back to Telegraph Cove. That allowed time to visit the whale museum there which was very informative. Our second attempt to land at base camp was successful . Base camp included tents , raised beds, a covered kitchen area, and outdoor latrines. Food cooked for us was delicious. Our guides were very knowledgeable. And the kayaking was terrific. We saw Orcas, humpbacks, porpoises, dolphins,and sea lions. We also learned how to tell the difference! Highly recommended trip.

Date of experience: September 2016
KingfisherKayaking, Owner at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2016

Hi Blueshound,

It was a pleasure meeting you and your great group of friends this summer. It is very rare for us not to be able to land at the base camp with the water taxi but you all took it in stride and good humor and seems like you were rewarded for it as the trip progressed. I will be sure to pass your review on to your guides, Sarah and Darren.

Abdrew

Reviewed September 25, 2016

Another great Orca base camp trip. This time we stayed at the new Shaker camp which is set out very well and has great views looking down the Johnstone strait. Over our 4 days kayaking we saw Orca, Humpback, Porpoise, Sea lion, seals, Deer, Bald Eagles and plenty more bird life.
As with our last 2 trips we were with a great group of people and had 2 fantastic guides, Renee and Sarah who kept us very well fed and amused !!
Unlike one of the reviews below we realise with all wildlife trips nothing is guaranteed, however the guides do there very best to show you everything this area has to offer !!

Julian & Mandy

Date of experience: September 2016
2  Thank JulianG63

Hi Julian and Mandy,

It was great having you join us for yet another trip. Looking forward to seeing you on trip number 4!

Reviewed September 24, 2016

My husband and I had a fantastic time on this trip. We did a similar trip in the past out of San Juan Island in the U.S. and this trip far surpassed that experience. The video on the website well represented our experience. This area is incredibly beautiful and so undeveloped compared to the San Juan Islands. Most days we only saw a handful of motorized boats. Never a guarantee of wildlife but we saw orcas, humpback whales, seals, sea lions, dolphins, porpoise, lots of eagles and other sea birds, mink and deer. The camp setup is very comfortable and they took great care of us. Our 2 guides Andrew and Agnes were amazing! We learned so much about the area and the people that live there. Can't wait to go back!

Date of experience: August 2016
KingfisherKayaking, Manager at Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2016

Hi Ann,

Thank you for taking the time to review your four day base camp trip with us. It was a pleasure kayaking with you and your husband - the dolphin encounter we had on your trip was a highlight of the summer for me. I will be sure to pass your comments along to Agnes as well.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 23, 2016

All the above marine animals were spotted a few times in the deep cold waters of the Broughton Archipelago in the summer of 2016. It was the noises of the fins of the killer whales hitting the surface water only meters from our camp site on Hansen Island that I remember most. Hearing the whales communicate with one another as they swam through the strait late at night still reverberates with me. The kayaking, the guides, the professionalism of the company and the guides made the trip very memorable. Comfort is a highlight starting with the high spacious tents, the wonderful established camp with its covered eating kitchen, state of the art outhouse, and its two beaches giving eye sight access to the marine life.....all add to a terrific trip. Will definitely go back to paddle with Kingfisher again soon. Besides the staff were terrific helping me settle and pick up my Weimaraner from the kennel in Port Hardy.

Hi glx2016,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your four day base camp trip with us. It was a pleasure meeting you and your partner and I hope you will both join us again sometime soon.

By the way, I think this is the first time i have heard of our outhouses referred to as "state of the art". For potential visitors reading this, the are pretty basic but with improvements we made this past year we have had many comments on them being the nicest outhouses our guests have used.

Andrew Jones

Travellers who viewed Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips also viewed

Telegraph Cove, Vancouver Island
Port McNeill, Vancouver Island

Port McNeill, Vancouver Island

Been to Kingfisher Wilderness Adventures - Orca Waters Kayak Day Trips? Share your experiences!